1. Re: P0401 EGR insufficient flow-vw passat BKP 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    35 Post(s)
    Ok so the cap has been changed, you put in Stop Leak & its worked a bit. I hate the stuff

The video has nothing to do with your car & I could only go by the other person stating it was coming from EGR without hearing it myself

The white smoke on start up, is this when its cold frosty weather or all the time ? I would expect white smoke in cold weather, yet in warmer weather, this to me indicates unburnt diesel, possibly glow plugs not working ...................... or start of head gasket, cracked cylinder liner with the coolant loss etc
    VW POLO 2002 1.2 12v , Audi A6 2006 2.0 TDi SE , Skoda Fabia 1.4 TDi

All 3 cars in the current fleet

0 0 0

2. Re: P0401 EGR insufficient flow-vw passat BKP 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    try to do a coolant pressure test and also, how someone wrote above, you can bypass the egr cooler to see if the engine get the same white smog

0 0 0

3. Re: P0401 EGR insufficient flow-vw passat BKP 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    Okay so I checked a few things right now, I first of all looked at the cylinder head revision number and the good news is it's 03G 103 308 C this means that it's the best revision of the cylinder head with A being the worst and B improved. This doesn't mean my head isn't cracked, it just means naturally I don't have the head that's prone to crack. I checked the radiator, a bit of wetness, wasn't coolant, there where a few coolant lines that were a bit wet, could be tiny leak or nothing. There was oily residue around the CCV valve and I don't know why it's there, gave it a good clean and will hopefully see if it comes again. The pipe that attaches too it doesn't seem to fit properly, it wasn't loose but looking at the pic it doesn't cover all the CCV pipe. I also attached a video of my car, when I start her up cold she makes this noise, it sounds like a squeaking belt or water pump but it doesn't make this noise once warm. Can anyone identify what this noise is?

As for the white smoke, it's not always there, tbh it rarely is I think, I think it mainly does it when it's cold so we will write off the white smoke as just vapor for now. I saw the EGR cooler, now I know where it's located, I couldn't examine it as inlet pipe was in the way. Do you guys think if I was to check the EGR cooler or valve for wetness, which would be easier for analysis? I looked at the tandem pump but I couldn't see much again cos of the inlet pipe. But I didn't see anything suspicious. I guess the car needs a pressure test, I'm actually thinking of making one of my own. Get a air compressor, gauge and a pipe with a hole in a spare coolant tank lid. Amazon sell for £50+ for anything decent and garages would charge similar price.

VW Passat b6 unfamiliar noise - YouTube video of weird noise.

IMAG2288.jpgIMAG2289.jpg

0 0 0

4. Re: P0401 EGR insufficient flow-vw passat BKP 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    87 Post(s)
    Easy one - noise is dry roller bearing somewhere: Alternator pulley, AC compressor pulley or belt tensioner pulley. Loud enough to rule out timing system tensioner rollers which would be more muffled due to plastic covers. Tensioner also 'flicks' a little which does not happen when all roller bearings are smooth suggesting resistance in a roller bearing in the circuit.

Also test your vacuum lines to the valve on the EGR cooler as there is a flap that opens and closes to control the amount of EGR gas cooling through the cooler tubes inside. There are narrow tubes and one larger diameter tube. The flap allows different levels of cooling by closing off some of the tubes.
    Mad Mitch
    VW Passat 2.0 Tdi Sport 170 BMR Engine, JPQ G/Box, DSG
    Premium Phone Kit, MFSW, Alarm Chirps, Rain Closure, Auto Close
    Emergency Braking Light Flash, Spots as DRLs. VCDS + MicroCAN, 200K Club

0 0 0

5. Re: P0401 EGR insufficient flow-vw passat BKP 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    Okay that's great, glad it's not too serious. So I've gone on internet and collected pictures of the EGR cooler and it's actuator flap. Now before talking about the flap, there are six pipes that connect to the EGR cooler. One is on the far right, two on the left with one of them having a metal pipe attached to it. I take it these are the gas pipes or are they coolant, they look a bit too big in diameter for coolant. Then there is the actuator, does this hold vacuum like a turbo actuator does or does it just open/close flap? Next to the actuator are four small pipes with two of them being attached onto the actuator block as you'll see on the images where the actuator is disconnected from the rest of the egr cooler. How do I test the vacuum lines, first I'll need to identify which ones are the vacuum lines before I test them.
    Attached Images

0 0 0

6. Re: P0401 EGR insufficient flow-vw passat BKP 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    87 Post(s)
    Two small metal pipes are additional coolant hose connectors. The vacuum pipe connects to the top of the actuator.

Google 'VW SSP 316' for a PDF of how the 103kw engine works - there's some quite useful info in there.
    Mad Mitch

0 0 0

7. Re: P0401 EGR insufficient flow-vw passat BKP 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    It sure is an interesting read, I'll read through it all tomorrow. It's a good reference guide, there are a few of these PDF's floating online. So I got creative and realised that there wasn't much info on BKP engines with the BKD getting all the attention I googled that and found an absolute awesome guide on how to remove egr cooler. I'll be gathering all what I need as its my first major engine component removal. I'll be sure to keep you all informed of what happens.

How To: EGR Valve / EGR Cooler Delete Mk5 TDI (BKD / BMN) - page 1 - How to Guides / Troubleshooting - MK5 Golf GTI

0 0 0

8. Re: P0401 EGR insufficient flow-vw passat BKP 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    Okay so today I removed to egr cooler, it only took 8 hours! I haven't even fitted the replacement yet but should be much more straight forward as I know what to do. My main issues was bolts from turbo exhaust manifold to egr cooler and dealing with the coolant. Must have lost 1 litre of coolant. So upon removing the egr cooler, the actuator was sticking (the flap) there wasn't any coolant found within or around it. Instead after removing the intake pipes, I found a small puddle of coolant near the tandem pump. There wasn't any on gearbox if I recall. Additionally, one coolant hose that goes to the heater core which connects near tandem pump was badly damaged. I have an image below of the coolant near the tandem pump. Sadly there is no signs of it coming directly from tandem pump. So I still don't know where it's leaking from but I have definitely rounded it off the that area. Does the image provide enough evidence tandem pump is leaking? If so I wish to deal with it while everything around it has been removed. IMAG2346.jpgIMAG2344.jpg

0 0 0

9. Re: P0401 EGR insufficient flow-vw passat BKP 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    87 Post(s)
    In the 2nd picture is a plastic union that connects the big hole in the head with that side of the cooling system. The gasket in between is subject to perishing and leaking coolant out on top of the gearbox. The pipe union also has the second coolant temperature sensor inside (you can just see it to the right and at the bottom of the plastic union). If you have the coolant out it is an easy removal with just the 2 bolts either end of the union. Gasket is a few quid from VW and it is important to clean the side of the head before refitting as the seal is very good providing it is against a smooth, dry and clean surface with proper torque of the 2 bolts.

2017-12-05 01.49.07.jpg

2017-12-05 01.51.48.jpg

2017-12-05 01.52.31.jpg
    Mad Mitch

0 0 0

10. Re: P0401 EGR insufficient flow-vw passat BKP 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    That's exactly what I have been looking to do since further inspection. I thought it was tandem pump as you mentioned before but then I looked closer and saw the coolant flange to be leaking. Either due to worn out O ring or the plastic itself becomes brittle over time and has an hair line crack. I will be getting all three new O rings and a coolant flange as the plastic can become ruined. I haven't taken all the coolant out, hopefully once I remove the flange via the two screws there isn't too much coolant that comes pouring out of the head. I have reinstalled the new egr cooler, only took a few mins once you've wiggled it past the cylinder head. There aren't any torque specs for the egr cooler and I can't get new gaskets but I will ask VW. Do you know of the torque specs for the coolant flange to cylinder head? I'll check the Haynes manual in the mean time.

0 0 0

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast