Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi All,

I just bought a Tiguan from VW with a one year warranty.
    2.0 TDI 140 Rline in candy white. Really like the car!

However from day one at motorway speeds and generally from cold start at around 65 to 70 the steering wheel starts shaking. This lasts for about 3mins and the stops.

I tried coasting and dipping the clutch on the motorway and the vibration remains.
    Car is back at VW today with the master tech. We were supposed to go for a drive to recreate the problem but I said it was pointless as the car had been running for 40mins on the way to dealer and it wouldn't create the fault.

The master tech then said he might swap round the tyres and then back tracked as if it were tyres he seemed to think I would have the shake all the time.

Left the car with them and they will take it out in the morning. I have posted on another forum as well. Fingers crossed they can recreate and identify the issue.

The tyres do seem a little spent in my opinion. The are Dunlop sport max GT 255/40/19. They have afew noticeable cracks but VW ensure me that they are safe and not an MOT failure.

Also VW balanced all 4 wheels last week which didn't do a thing.

Any ideas what could cause steering to shake at speed when the car is cold?
    I have a 30 day no quibble return on this car but I really don't want to let it go.

0 0 0

2. Re: Steering shaking when cold at motorway speeds 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    104 Post(s)
    The tyres might have flats on them or some sidewall weakness if they are old and perishing as you describe. The car might have been standing round for months before sale. Balancing them will only compensate for any imbalance present on worn, unloaded tyres, and not allow for deformity when under load and speed. See if you can strike a deal on new tyres and if problem persists get them to look further or take your money back.

0 0 0

3. Re: Steering shaking when cold at motorway speeds 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    35 Post(s)
    I would go t asdatyres and put on new budget tyres at the front and get the tracking done at the same time , tis will rule the tyres out

if it still remains ..........................

then look at swapping over front tyres

still remain

swap over one front wheel at a time to rear as sometimes a bad wheel can be hard to detect.

Failing that its check track rod ends and my boy had a similar problem with his Polo, it turned out to be the front rear wishbone rubbers were goosed
    VW POLO 2002 1.2 12v , Audi A6 2006 2.0 TDi SE , Skoda Fabia 1.4 TDi

All 3 cars in the current fleet

0 0 0

4. Re: Steering shaking when cold at motorway speeds 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Well the dealer called today. The master tech went for a drive this morning and could not replicate the fault. They are going to try again on Monday.

I noticed on one of the front tyres there is a crack in the side wall. If the cars weight was parked onto this crack overnight could it be possible the tyre is going out of round until driven again? Clutching at straws here. But I'm convinced it's tyres. I really don't mess around when it comes to tyres on previous cars and have always stuck with Michelin's after having a bad experience with cheap tyres.

As tyres are effectively consumables in this scenario is the dealer responsible to replace them should they be found to be the offending item causing the shake? I don't want to just settle for a cheap and nasty basic tyre.

Part of me just thinks I would be better buying 4 new tyres but then it's Christmas next month and also if it doesn't fix the issue I will just get my money back on the car and play the no quibble return card.

0 0 0

5. Re: Steering shaking when cold at motorway speeds 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    35 Post(s)
    if you have any doubt about the tyres, then change them

you really have to manually change the wheels over your self
    VW POLO 2002 1.2 12v , Audi A6 2006 2.0 TDi SE , Skoda Fabia 1.4 TDi

All 3 cars in the current fleet

0 0 0

6. Re: Steering shaking when cold at motorway speeds 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    25 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by niall campbell View Post
    if you have any doubt about the tyres, then change them

you really have to manually change the wheels over your self
    I agree with Niall here--the tires--but I would go to OPONEO.CO.UK-and not just get the tire spec for the car, but would go for "higher speed ratting and extra load side walls" --as they will (if you do a comparison check) be cheaper, "as they are more popular so sell more making them cheaper" !!!!!
    If it been sat for a few weeks then yeh the tires will have flat spotted--yeh ok once they get warm they should sort them self's out----but that not always what happens !!!!

0 0 0

7. Re: Steering shaking when cold at motorway speeds 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks everyone. I will be in contact with the dealer tomorrow morning. I figure if they can't find anything wrong with the car then it's stale mate. If they conclude it's tyres and I am going to propose they partially fund there replacement as they will no doubt want to put the cheapest brand of tyre (I'm guessing).

Failing that if I will just have to buy new tyres and hope for the best.

0 0 0

8. Re: Steering shaking when cold at motorway speeds 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    29 Post(s)
    Surely if it were tyres it would not stop after 3 minutes and when out of balance it occurs hot or cold.

It's always the same with dealers, their techs can never replicate the problem.
    2013 B7 Passat BlueMotion Sport Estate 2.0 TDi 177PS (CFGC), 6 speed Manual, Metallic Night Blue, Fontana alloys, Start/Stop, RNS-510 (HW H09, SW 5238 V13 maps, 8316) Nav DAB, ACC, XDS, TPM, Westfalia Tow bar, Rear View camera, Keyless Entry, Easy Open/close Electric Tailgate, Park Assist, Electric Parking Brake, DRL's, Amb light, Zebrano wood, Tinted Glass, mud flaps, 61K. Cheat emission software. Nextbase 402G iN-CAR CAM.

0 0 0

9. Re: Steering shaking when cold at motorway speeds 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    OK I could really do with some expert technical opinions here.. Calling all experienced VW / Audi Techs please. !!

VW Tigaun
    Manual
    2.0 TDI 140 RLine
    26K Miles
    64 Plate

Situation so far.

Steering wheel starts to vibrate and shake when accelerating onto a motorway, it doesn’t always do it but I am now of the opinion that it happens when the car has accelerated going uphill or downhill onto a motorway slip road and under acceleration where around 50-60mph and above it shake occurs. Eventually after about anywhere between 10-40 seconds it gradually starts to stop and then disappears.

So far dealer has had it in twice.

1. Dealer had for 24 hours and could not replicate the fault.
    2. Dealer swapped wheels and tyres from another Tiguan. I went from 19" alloys to 18" alloys. The issue was still present but somewhat more masked and I suspect this was to do with the ride improvement with the smaller alloy wheels and bigger tyre.
    3. Dealer then took the car and did 100 miles of varied driving to try and replicate the fault but failed to do so.
    4. Dealer master tech reset steering angle sensor to factory defaults.

I was also told prior to my last visit that they would be inspecting suspension / drive shaft / steering, this was never confirmed to me after pickup.

So this afternoon I was driving home from work, I joined the motorway and quite a sloping slip road reached about 50mph and the steering wheel starts to shake quite badly and again stops after a short while.
    Dealer informed once again!

Can anyone technical out there advise as to where I should be looking for the fault. The car is under warranty. I am however considering getting a mechanic I have used for years to get it on his ramp and inspect.
    Read on other forums about possible drive shaft bearing failure and drive shaft mount / seal cracking causing a wobble.

Really would appreciate any advise.

0 0 0