1. Snow chains 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    80 Post(s)
    I've parked my idea of winter wheels/tyres for now, as I'll need snow-chains in France, irrespective of tyres.

I'm currently planning to buy Snow Chains for Audi Q7 (2015 onwards) using tyre size albeit from Amazon, for a tenner less but thought I'd ask on here for thoughts of any who have already purchased/used snow-chains.
    Q7 3.0 TDI Quattro (272 HP) S-Line
    (Gone) A6 C6 AVANT 2.7TDI SE MANUAL
    Hers - Mk. VII Golf '15' 2.0 TDI BlueMotion

0 0 0

2. Re: Snow chains 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Looking at the same.

Was waiting to see if they went down further in price on Black Friday. According to the Cameliser they have been down to £180 during Aug 2016 ! Not expecting that discount, but they have been below £300 on a few occasions.

Roofbox do 'Spikes spider' for around the same money and 'Polaire' ,which is cheaper, but seems to use a lot of plastic which I'm not sure I trust.

What is for certain is they are twice the amount I paid for the ones that fitted my recently departed SQ5!

0 0 0

3. Re: Snow chains 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    78 Post(s)
    I picked a pair of K66's up a couple of years back in a sale in UK for £305 so its possible... Also looking for K67s... they are excellent snow chains

1 1 0

4. Re: Snow chains 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    80 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wardienet View Post
    I picked a pair of K66's up a couple of years back in a sale in UK for £305 so its possible... Also looking for K67s... they are excellent snow chains
    They've arrived. Just got to practise fitting them now.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

0 0 0

5. Re: Snow chains 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)
    I'm going to the Alps at Christmas, don't fancy putting chains on in a snowstorm if there is one, or putting them on at all if I can help it. If you have the right tyres it's highly unlikely you'll ever need the chains. Just put some snow socks in the boot to satisfy French police.

I'm definitely going for winters, or hopefully all-seaons, if I am successful with my current mission with Audi and Pirelli to find the 285/40r21 Pirelli Scorpion Zero All Season's that American cars can now request as a no cost factory fit. At least that way I can sell the new summers and pretty much pay for the all seasons that I can keep on.

Plus, I've read bad things about chains scratching alloys to bits when fitted, don't really fancy that. Also wouldn't fancy coming down a slightly snowy, or road with patchy ice, in summer tyres either. No one is going to fit chains in those conditions and a Q7 is a big heavy car to be slipping round in.

I'm also told that whilst winters aren't obligatory in a France, the police will turn you round from some roads without M&S marked tyres. And if you're at the bottom, with no snow, they're not likely to let you put your chains on
    Q7, S-line, Graphite Grey, full leather, 21 inch titanium wheels

0 0 0

6. Re: Snow chains 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    80 Post(s)
    I'm going on the advice of the RAC and the owner of the chalet I'm staying at; winters not a legal requirment but chains are.

Given how good winter tyres are now, it does seem outdated as chains aren't needed with the correct tyres. I have Pirelli Scorpion All Season 285/40 R21 all round (changed from Continentals a couple of months ago) but there's not a lot of point risking antagonising the gendarmes.

I've got the vignette for crit air Crit'Air clean air stickers - need to know for driving in France | RAC Drive

I've also got :-
    - hi-vis vests
    - bulb kits
    - breathalyser kits
    - warning triangle

so I might as well have the chains as well.

I once helped push a Brit driver's Vovlo out of a snow covered car-park in Zell am See and he took the view that there was no point in him having snow-chains, as he only needed them once a year when he took a skiing holiday. And yet he was stuck, in a car-park Google Maps and was a menace to other vehicles.

0 0 0

7. Re: Snow chains 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    78 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ragebe View Post
    I have Pirelli Scorpion All Season 285/40 R21 all round (changed from Continentals a couple of months ago) but there's not a lot of point risking antagonising the gendarmes.
    Hi ragebe where did you get the all season Pirelli's from please? Been trying to track these down in UK to replace the summer ones but with no luck - there is another thread on this somewhere.

0 0 0

8. Re: Snow chains 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ragebe View Post
    I'm going on the advice of the RAC and the owner of the chalet I'm staying at; winters not a legal requirment but chains are.

Given how good winter tyres are now, it does seem outdated as chains aren't needed with the correct tyres. I have Pirelli Scorpion All Season 285/40 R21 all round (changed from Continentals a couple of months ago) but there's not a lot of point risking antagonising the gendarmes.

I've got the vignette for crit air Crit'Air clean air stickers - need to know for driving in France | RAC Drive

I've also got :-
    - hi-vis vests
    - bulb kits
    - breathalyser kits
    - warning triangle

so I might as well have the chains as well.

I once helped push a Brit driver's Vovlo out of a snow covered car-park in Zell am See and he took the view that there was no point in him having snow-chains, as he only needed them once a year when he took a skiing holiday. And yet he was stuck, in a car-park Google Maps and was a menace to other vehicles.

I'm part way through a fruitless search for the Pirelli All Seasons too. I currently have open enquiries with both Audi UK and Pirelli Uk to try and find these. American owners can now spec Pirelli Scorpion Zero All Seasons in 285/40r21 fitted direct from the factory. I've even sent pics to Audi and Pirelli of a set fitted. And they still can't find them!

Be careful if you ordered the Scorpion Verde All Seasons that are available online in the UK. They are advertising them as the All Season Verde, but the 285/40r21's are advertised incorrectly. They are in fact the summer Scorpion Verdes when they arrive. I ordered two sets to be sure, but you can see that they have the wrong tread pattern. I rejected both sets. I emailed Pirelli and they told me they were advertised incorrectly on a lot of sites, but they were all served by the same website provider "tyres network" I think it is. They provide Asda tyres and basically any of the smaller independent local tyre companies. Pirelli said they'd get them to take down the ads, but the offending tyres are still being falsely advertised.

Pirelli told me the key to showing they were summers, as well as the tread pattern, was the 109Y rating, All Seasons are 107V. They also won't be M&S rated either. They'd be dangerous in the snow and ice, especially when if an owner thought he had All Season's fitted.

1 0 0

9. Re: Snow chains 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    25 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wardienet View Post
    Hi ragebe where did you get the all season Pirelli's from please? Been trying to track these down in UK to replace the summer ones but with no luck - there is another thread on this somewhere.
    Try OPONEO.CO.UK, good pirces free delivery !!!

0 0 0

10. Re: Snow chains 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagnuts View Post
    Try OPONEO.CO.UK, good pirces free delivery !!!
    They don't sell a 285/40r21 all season to my knowledge. I've searched and searched, no one does.

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast