Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Hi all,

Looking for a bit of advice if possible. I've recently purchased a 2015 Audi A6 black edition (2.0tdi 190ps) which I've had now for around 4 month's, the car I absolutely love, having previously owned a HR 350z I thought it was time to go for a bit of a change and get something more comfortable and sensible. Cut a long story short the car has been running fine up until last month, the first issue I noticed is that the glow plug light started to flash which lead me to believe the DPF was getting choked I also had a message appear on the dash "Stop start failure" and EML, I was curious as to why this was the case as I don't use the car for short journeys and was aware of how to drive the car so to speak when the car was on a regen cycle, after consulting with my garage they noted that the DPF was fairly choked up, when buying the car the previous owner did state that for the last year the car has been doing short journeys so I'm assuming this has contributed to this, they did note that the car was also unable to do a forced regen and pointed out that the exhaust temperature sensor had failed (post dpf) this was then changed. again the car would not force regen, we opted to remove the dpf for cleaning which apparently was an absolute nightmare in removing due to the location of the DPF on the newer Audi's. The DPF has now been cleaned and put back into the car. Anyway I've had the car back now for around 1 day and within 5 hours of getting the car back my glow plug light has come on again followed by the EML and of course limp mode, I've taken the car back for a diagnostic read and this showed an actuator fault code, one thing we noticed is that when the glow plug light comes on the actuator bounces up and down which I would imagine is the cause of the boost problem. (Video below) they did clear the code and the car run's *ok* for around a day, the car then jumps back into limp mode again with the glow plug light flashing and the stop start message, I do note that when the code clear the car's boost seem's to be fairly hesitant and I believe from the feel of the car it's slightly over boosting I do notice there is some white smoke coming from the exhaust when it does boost with the codes off so I'm not to keen on driving it at the moment until the issue is resolved, I must add this white smoke has only just appeared when the new DPF was fitted I never had any smoke before hand, we did have underboost codes showing when the DPF blocked also and this morning using my OBD reader the car threw a P0236 code Turbo Charger Boost Sensor A Range/Performance I'm not sure my OBD reader is reading the fault correctly as this is the code it tend's to throw on my end a lot.

So I've tried researching this and I'm coming up a bit short just in case there is another issue causing the actuator to do this, does this point to an actuator fault or could something else be triggering this? And if so how easy are these to change. From what i gather these are electronic now, the garage I use have advised they will be able to change this as the actuator doesn't appear to be too expensive however are concerned that they may need to remove the DPF/Turbo to remove the actuator which last time was a 7 hour job resulting in the engine mount coming off and also the fact that because it's electronic it will need programmed which they have no idea how to do, apparently really only Audi are the only option if this is the case? Again I'm not clued up on these.

I've had people telling me it could be the MAP sensor, N75 or EGR but I really don't want to throw money at these things if the issue still stands, does anyone have any ideas?

Any help will be much appreciated.

Cheers, (Video below of the actuator movement on idle with no boost)

0 0 0

2. Re: Audi A6 boost issue 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    19 Post(s)
    White smoke is usually water, could be the egr cooler is leaking.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

0 0 0

3. Re: Audi A6 boost issue 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    108 Post(s)
    Best to talk to Crasher if you can.
    Quote "My tuner told me after he fitted the box that 0-60 should be around 2.6 seconds! "

0 0 0

4. Re: Audi A6 boost issue 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Cheers for the input guys, started the car up this morning glow plug light flashing no EML black smoke on boost now all white smoke gone car doesn't appear to he fully in limp mode as it will boost there just isn't much boost when it comes on. Engine sounds a bit rough on idle this morning. I'm thinking maybe the EGR maybe choked from when the DPF failed? Any of you know if this would cause the actuator to perform abnormally?

0 0 0

5. Re: Audi A6 boost issue 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    235 Post(s)
    Only ever had issues with the actuator on my old golf.
    Could be one of 2 things if it’s the same design as the old pd diesels. Could be a vacuum pipe loose or leaking to the actuator as that’s how it’s controlled. This controls the boost so you would get symptoms you are describing.
    Other thing is the actuator isn’t getting the full movement it needs to control boost like corrosion is something sticking. That was what was wrong with my one and because it was sticking it was constantly overboosting and this went into limp mode.
    Careful going down replacing parts route as lots of garages will just condemn the turbo and charge you for a new one. Actuators are about £100 and turbos are £1000 ish. New turbo will fix it as they come with new actuators but the most expensive option.
    Actuators need some form of calibration as well.
    Hope this helps.

0 0 0

6. Re: Audi A6 boost issue 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Cheers guys, car has been running without the flashing glow plug light for 4 day's now. Boost is still down car still running rough, noticed when the car is idle that there is an electronic noise coming from underneath the driver door. Noise is hard to explain it comes and goes like a cycle almost like an electronic valve is opening and closing I notice when this happens though the car judders slightly. Am I correct in saying this is roughly where the fuel filter is located? Also now when the glow plug light comes on the smoke turns from white to black however when the glow plug light is off (it's very intermittent and appears to reset it's self when the car is turned off/on) the car has white smoke on boost. Regards the EGR cooler, I've not noticed any coolant missing from the car, I've been keeping an eye on it since the fault first occurred. Had a look at the actuator arm tonight on idle and it appears to move up fully then down fully on the odd occasion on idle. I think I'm going to try and rule out the N75 first as by the sound's of things these are pretty notorious for failing.

Codes that consistently appear on my OBD reader (not ideal but gives me a rough idea of what's throwing):

P0236 - Turbo charger boost sensor A
    P0402 - EGR flow excessive detected
    P0234 - Turbo charger overboost condition

0 0 0

7. Re: Audi A6 boost issue 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Another update on this (Just following this through just in case someone in the future has a similar issue)

Replaced the N75, car drove absolutely fine for around 2 days apart from white smoke on boost. Started the car today parked up after a 30 mile drive, turned the ignition on and I had the glow plug light flashing again turned the ignition off/on and the glow plug light stopped however EML stayed on again showing P0236, when you boost the car with the glow plug light flashing you get a mixture of black/white smoke again my actuator rod dancing like the video above. Someone has suggested it could be the MAP sensor but I'm having trouble locating this on the CNHA engine and I'm told these don't normally fail. I think it's probably looking like a new turbo unit at this stage by the looks of things which is the last thing I wanted given the cost, I can't even seem to find what turbo's these CNHA engine's use information seem's to be a bit scarce on these engine's for some reason. Again any further suggestions will be appreciated.
    Last edited by G.Douglas; 18-08-2018 at 11:07 PM.

0 0 0

8. Re: Audi A6 boost issue 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    55 Post(s)
    First of all VCDS was necessary to do any proper scan.
    Solved problem ?
    Current cars:
    2007 Passat b6 2.0 tdi BMR DSG
    2013 Golf MK7 1.6 tdi 5 speed

0 0 0

9. Re: Audi A6 boost issue 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Hi Guys

I've 2015 Audi A6 2.0 tdi ultra black edition trip tronic 190ps. 64k miles

I had the car serviced 2 weeks ago ,. I had the coolant bottle emptied and filled back up as I noticed it was on minimum 2 days before service, and I topped it up with water , so the mechanic who is our company mechanic did pressure test on system by attaching the tester to the water bottle, no leak found , but seen a little wet patch on front rad , so to be safe he put a little rad fix in bottle then topped it up with coolant ,. I noticed on my dual climate that only cold air was coming out of left vents and not right vents,. So I did all the bleeding tricks thinking it's air locked , bit all pipes going into dash are hot so not air locked maybe another issue ,. Well this I had to explain before I came to my same error as in the thread so 2 weeks later still cold air on right vents , but glow plugs yellow warning came on dash so car went in to lymp mode , pulled over turn car off and then back on and perfect , drove it for another 4 days then same again I did plug in my obd eleven to read codes first time , it had about 7 errors up which I think one sensor can trigger others to fault , so I plugged in obd eleven again and it came up turbo charger boost sensor and Tyre pressure monitor sensor so I cleared them and disconnected battery for 15 minutes as the glow plugs warning was still on dash , that done the trick and car was perfect , car runs smooth and all power it needs,. So I feel it's a sensor , I've drove the car for 7 days now perfect but this morning the glow plugs warning came up again and wouldn't clear so I turn car off for 10 minutes and cleared faults perfect I run a diagnostics and no codes or faults ,.

0 0 0

10. Re: Audi A6 boost issue 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    55 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by danny__boom View Post
    Hi Guys

I've 2015 Audi A6 2.0 tdi ultra black edition trip tronic 190ps. 64k miles

I had the car serviced 2 weeks ago ,. I had the coolant bottle emptied and filled back up as I noticed it was on minimum 2 days before service, and I topped it up with water , so the mechanic who is our company mechanic did pressure test on system by attaching the tester to the water bottle, no leak found , but seen a little wet patch on front rad , so to be safe he put a little rad fix in bottle then topped it up with coolant ,. I noticed on my dual climate that only cold air was coming out of left vents and not right vents,. So I did all the bleeding tricks thinking it's air locked , bit all pipes going into dash are hot so not air locked maybe another issue ,. Well this I had to explain before I came to my same error as in the thread so 2 weeks later still cold air on right vents , but glow plugs yellow warning came on dash so car went in to lymp mode , pulled over turn car off and then back on and perfect , drove it for another 4 days then same again I did plug in my obd eleven to read codes first time , it had about 7 errors up which I think one sensor can trigger others to fault , so I plugged in obd eleven again and it came up turbo charger boost sensor and Tyre pressure monitor sensor so I cleared them and disconnected battery for 15 minutes as the glow plugs warning was still on dash , that done the trick and car was perfect , car runs smooth and all power it needs,. So I feel it's a sensor , I've drove the car for 7 days now perfect but this morning the glow plugs warning came up again and wouldn't clear so I turn car off for 10 minutes and cleared faults perfect I run a diagnostics and no codes or faults ,.
    Well impressive mechanical skills there.

0 0 0

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast