1. Parking brake motor and caliper repair 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    Hey fellow earthlings, hope you are all well! So I've had parking brake motor issues and have now removed both motors from the calipers. My plan is to get two new motors and rebuild the calipers with fresh seals for extra assurance. I have a few questions to ask.

Starting with the caliper, when removing it, once it is removed the bleed cable will drip, are you meant to have the brake pedal a little pressed to stop it from dripping or do I use some sort of tie? Also when installing and having to push back the piston, they say the bleed nipple should be opened and the brake fluid reservoir cap? What if I push the piston in before attaching the brake cable, same rule applies? Should I fit in new brake cables as mine are probably original and it's a 55 plate or do these things last? If I should change, any specific material that is best? I've heard that you should never twist the back of the rear calipers, instead they are meant to be pushed in, twisted only with the intent to remove the piston from the caliper. I have seen this video and he uses a specific tool, anyone know what it is, it's at 2:08

Brake Caliper Rebuild ♦ Audi/VW/Skoda/Seat ♦ - YouTube

If I can't get the tool, will a standard rewind tool be fine to remove the piston? I know you are meant to use the vagcom but motor will not be attached. Once everything is put together again, do I pump the brake pedal to get fluid pumping through? Last thing I want is all this work and then the brakes have no power in them.

One of my abs cables on my front tyre is broken but no abs light or braking issues, shall I leave it or is it vital to have it connected? The motors I will be fitting in are not the TRW originals, all I know is the non OEM cannot be repaired and that's it. If they come with 2 years warranty will they be good as OEM or have their been reported issues with aftermarket ones?

0 0 0

2. Re: Parking brake motor and caliper repair 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    87 Post(s)
    The full caliper and motor unit (remanufactured by TRW) is almost the same price as the OE motor so most just swap out the whole unit and replace it under an exchange / surcharge basis.

TRW units can be obtained for £132 and an aftermarket version by a company called DRI for under £100 complete (surcharges apply for return of old units).
    Mad Mitch
    VW Passat 2.0 Tdi Sport 170 BMR Engine, JPQ G/Box, DSG
    Premium Phone Kit, MFSW, Alarm Chirps, Rain Closure, Auto Close
    Emergency Braking Light Flash, Spots as DRLs. VCDS + MicroCAN, 200K Club

0 1 0

3. Re: Parking brake motor and caliper repair 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    67 Post(s)
    Both rear calipers have failed at different times on my wifes 2008 Passat.
    Both failed with the parking brake fully on & the motor could be heard still spinning for a while.

In both cases the problem was the torx connexion between the electric motor & caliper.
    The caliper female spline had rusted, the female splines had rounded off but the motor male splines were fine, different quality steel.

You can get just the replacement splined part for the caliper off eBay.
    ADAPTER SCREW 12-SIDED TORX BRAKE CALIPER | eBay

Check the number of splines on the electric motor, some are 6, most are 12.

There is a circlip to be removed securing the torx threaded rod at the rear of the caliper, you can then just push the piston straight out, pushing on the splined rod.

Once you have the caliper back together on the car & pads in place, just wind the spline until the pads contact the disc, then turn back about one turn until the disc turns freely.

I put plenty of grease on the spline connexion & screwed the original motor back on.

Bleed the brakes as normal.

No further problems.

0 0 0

4. Re: Parking brake motor and caliper repair 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    Thanks for the thorough explanation both of you. Yes I know what you are talking about between the two torx mating points. I will be purchasing that but one thing I over looked which I'm glad you told me was to get the correct teeth motor but also the caliper female torx part. I'll be purchasing a caliper repair kit with all the rubber seals and female torx part.

The only thing I'm not sure about is weather to get the TRW motor or an aftermarket one. I'm all for doing the job properly, that's why I want to repair both parts, I just need to know whether the TRW motor is in anyway superior than the aftermarket one as the OE's cost a lot more. There are lots of motors on eBay from awful Chinese to fake TRW and originals. I'm thinking of going the aftermarket route but with a 1 year or more guarantee. Or as DMitch mentioned, I might as well purchase the motor and caliper together if TRW motor is better and sod the caliper rebuild all together. Although rebuilding is still a good interest as it can then be sold on for good money on eBay.

0 0 0

5. Re: Parking brake motor and caliper repair 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    67 Post(s)
    I can't comment on the quality of aftermarket motors as I havn't had to buy one yet, touch wood.

But if you can get a caliper complete with motor for £132 I think I would go with that, quick & easy & known quality components..

Best of luck.

0 0 0

6. Re: Parking brake motor and caliper repair 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    25 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by philipharmes View Post
    I can't comment on the quality of aftermarket motors as I havn't had to buy one yet, touch wood.

But if you can get a caliper complete with motor for £132 I think I would go with that, quick & easy & known quality components..

Best of luck.
    Take a look at ATP Spare Parts shop on ebay--all things vag free delivery and good good prices !!!

0 0 0

7. Re: Parking brake motor and caliper repair 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    87 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagnuts View Post
    Take a look at ATP Spare Parts shop on ebay--all things vag free delivery and good good prices !!!
    And a load of negative feedback - sounds like this guy can't handle the volume. Some of his parts are Chicopies - fresh from Shanghai. Have a friend in Germany (ex VW) who says ATP is on their avoid list. Your money - your risk.
    Mad Mitch

0 0 0

8. Re: Parking brake motor and caliper repair 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    25 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DMitch16 View Post
    And a load of negative feedback - sounds like this guy can't handle the volume. Some of his parts are Chicopies - fresh from Shanghai. Have a friend in Germany (ex VW) who says ATP is on their avoid list. Your money - your risk.
    thanks for the info--I have had a lot of things from them they are in Germany, with no problems-wishbones-springs-full set of brakes etc etc, and all were fine. but I appreciate the info !!! ps- not sure we talking about the same ATP- as just looked and they got 98.9% positive

0 0 0

9. Re: Parking brake motor and caliper repair 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    87 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagnuts View Post
    thanks for the info--I have had a lot of things from them they are in Germany, with no problems-wishbones-springs-full set of brakes etc etc, and all were fine. but I appreciate the info !!! ps- not sure we talking about the same ATP- as just looked and they got 98.9% positive
    We are - run by a guy called Peter in a small town called Pressath in Germany relatively near to Nuremberg. Considering the town only has a few thousand people he has a decent sized warehouse. If you have had parts from them before with no issues then that is good to know. A lot of negative feedback is actually as a result of the transportation firms involved and not the seller or stock. A 98.9% positive feedback is not great to be fair as that is a 1 in 10 negative situation and most sellers of over 95% or more positive feedback tend to be more reliable.
    Mad Mitch

0 0 0

10. Re: Parking brake motor and caliper repair 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    25 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DMitch16 View Post
    We are - run by a guy called Peter in a small town called Pressath in Germany relatively near to Nuremberg. Considering the town only has a few thousand people he has a decent sized warehouse. If you have had parts from them before with no issues then that is good to know. A lot of negative feedback is actually as a result of the transportation firms involved and not the seller or stock. A 98.9% positive feedback is not great to be fair as that is a 1 in 10 negative situation and most sellers of over 95% or more positive feedback tend to be more reliable.
    yes we are,--i'v just checked the negative feed an its sitting at 188 at the mo with 15.737 positive --but I do agree with you that the logistics that are used are/have been more than a wee bit cr-p, DPD seems to be the main-but Menzies are the subs up here and yeh well I cant say, what I wid like too !!! but the stuff I'v had frm ATP "so far has all been sound" !!! Thanks for the imput !!!!!

0 0 0