Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Smoke/Burning smell in the cabin - 63 Plate A4 2.0 TDie SE Teknik - A/C maybe

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. Smoke/Burning smell in the cabin - 63 Plate A4 2.0 TDie SE Teknik - A/C maybe 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Just wondering if I did the right thing buying my ex Company Car on retirement....
    It's got 40,000 miles on the clock, and has been trouble free until now.
    Set off for the shops tonight and half a mile from the house encountered a strong smell of burning.
    Thinking it was outside, I wound the windows down, but it got worse, and I realised that the cabin was filling up with smoke.
    Pulled in and stopped and lifted the bonnet; nothing noticeable under there although it was pitch dark.
    Only thing I can think of is something to do with the A/C. It's freezing up here, and having lost my scraper since last winter, I'd had the screen demister on for a while to clear the ice, and that switches the A/C on. I don't use the A/C much, so I wondered if it could have seized up or something?
    Burning smell a bit like burnt clutch or brake smell. I did wonder if the belt might be slipping (assume it has a belt) but there was no screeching noise.
    Is there anything that's easy to check to find out what might be wrong?
    Last time I worked on cars was when they had carburettors and drum brakes, so I'm a bit out of touch...
    Thanks in advance!

0 0 0

2. Re: Smoke/Burning smell in the cabin - 63 Plate A4 2.0 TDie SE Teknik - A/C maybe 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    Does the story continue or did you leave the car there and retreat?
    When did you last have the a/c on?
    I think if the a/c was causing smoke in the cabin, you would have detected it also under the hood.
    Presumably no warning lights or other alarms?
    I hope this story has a happy ending. Please keep us posted
    A4 B8 143 Tdi S Line Saloon 2008 (Gone)
    Lotus Elan SE 1991
    A4 B8 170 Tdi Quattro Technik Avant 2011
    A4 B8.5 143 Tdi S Line Black Edition Saloon 2013(gone)
    A4 B8.5 Allroad Sport Nav 2.0 tdi quattro 2015

0 0 0

3. Re: Smoke/Burning smell in the cabin - 63 Plate A4 2.0 TDie SE Teknik - A/C maybe 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    104 Post(s)
    Does everything still work? fan speed control, flap position controls etc. check the air con compressor pulley and belt in daylight. I also think your car has an electric auxiliary heater alongside the usual heater matrix to boost demisting, check to see if this is fitted and still working, should be a large fuse for it somewhere!. It might just have been covered in dust and been burning off that if not used for a while.

0 0 0

4. Re: Smoke/Burning smell in the cabin - 63 Plate A4 2.0 TDie SE Teknik - A/C maybe 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boy View Post
    Does the story continue or did you leave the car there and retreat?
    When did you last have the a/c on?
    I think if the a/c was causing smoke in the cabin, you would have detected it also under the hood.
    Presumably no warning lights or other alarms?
    I hope this story has a happy ending. Please keep us posted
    Thanks for your reply; I stopped, opened all the windows, and had switched off the screen de-icer (mainly so I could try and hear if anything was happening). Carried on with journey with no further use of rapid de-icer) and no further smoke, although the inside of the car was stinking of it, so hard to be sure that nothing at all was coming through. No warning lights, etc. Everything else seemed fine.

0 0 0

5. Re: Smoke/Burning smell in the cabin - 63 Plate A4 2.0 TDie SE Teknik - A/C maybe 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob69 View Post
    Does everything still work? fan speed control, flap position controls etc. check the air con compressor pulley and belt in daylight. I also think your car has an electric auxiliary heater alongside the usual heater matrix to boost demisting, check to see if this is fitted and still working, should be a large fuse for it somewhere!. It might just have been covered in dust and been burning off that if not used for a while.
    Thanks for your reply; I'll take a look now that the sun's thinking of coming up. Fan settings worked fine. I didn't try any other flap settings, but will check today. Not aware of an auxiliary heater, and given the time it takes to de-ice suspect that I don't have one. I'll take a look at the fusebox.

0 0 0

6. Re: Smoke/Burning smell in the cabin - 63 Plate A4 2.0 TDie SE Teknik - A/C maybe 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    104 Post(s)
    There are diesel fired webasto auxilliary heaters fitted to some cars to aid engine warm up, but others have direct electric heating in the cabin air duct, here's a bit waffle, sure you can find more, but I suspect you car car has the electric heating boost. Discussion is getting heated | Diesel Car Magazine
    Maybe you had dirt on the element, a bit like getting fluff pulled into a hairdrier and burning off. hopefully something simple like that anyway

0 0 0

7. Re: Smoke/Burning smell in the cabin - 63 Plate A4 2.0 TDie SE Teknik - A/C maybe 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Not much to to look at it today unfortunately. No sign of damage to the belt drive and it's so far away from the air intake, I can't see it being that. I noticed a pile of leaves below the cover for the air intake, just in front of the screen, so it would be easy for something to get sucked in there perhaps, but the smell definitely wasn't burning eaves. Maybe I've got a dead mouse in there... Pulled the cover and hoovered all the stuff out, noting a nice little rust trap between the bonnet hinge support and the inner wing, that was full of wet mud on both sides. Also managed to lose one of the plastic screws that holds the cover down, so if anyone knows the part number for those, that would be useful. Idiot... It's a large plastic Quick-Fit screw, with a large diameter head of about 20-25mm and a screwdriver slot.
    On the plus side, the car ran fine for a 60 mile round trip, all fan settings work, and the vane settings all work. Still stinks inside though.
    I've been in the manual and an auxiliary heater fuse is mentioned; still need to pull the fuse cover, and see if I have a fuse for that, to demonstrate that there's supposed to be one.
    If there is, might just take a chance and try switching it on again, to see what happens. Maybe with a fire extinguisher to hand...
    Thanks for all the help so far

0 0 0

8. Re: Smoke/Burning smell in the cabin - 63 Plate A4 2.0 TDie SE Teknik - A/C maybe 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    Glad to hear that all seems reasonably well. In your position, as well as checking the fuse etc., I would pull out the cabin air filter and see what state that is in. it is a two minute job, above the passenger footwell and if there was so much crxp under the cover of the plenum chamber, there is reasonable chance that some made it to the cabin filter.
    A4 B8 143 Tdi S Line Saloon 2008 (Gone)
    Lotus Elan SE 1991
    A4 B8 170 Tdi Quattro Technik Avant 2011
    A4 B8.5 143 Tdi S Line Black Edition Saloon 2013(gone)
    A4 B8.5 Allroad Sport Nav 2.0 tdi quattro 2015

0 0 0

9. Re: Smoke/Burning smell in the cabin - 63 Plate A4 2.0 TDie SE Teknik - A/C maybe 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    104 Post(s)
    Are the screws like these? dealer or TPS might be best just for one screw though
    10 x AUDI VW VOLKSWAGEN Bumper Trim Protection Screw Spoiler Dowel Pin | eBay

0 0 0

10. Re: Smoke/Burning smell in the cabin - 63 Plate A4 2.0 TDie SE Teknik - A/C maybe 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boy View Post
    Glad to hear that all seems reasonably well. In your position, as well as checking the fuse etc., I would pull out the cabin air filter and see what state that is in. it is a two minute job, above the passenger footwell and if there was so much crxp under the cover of the plenum chamber, there is reasonable chance that some made it to the cabin filter.
    Cheers Boy; I'll take a look at that; screws are similar, but not the same. I'll try the dealer

0 0 0

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast