1. Vw Passat pd130 53 plate no gears 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi I have a gearbox issue that I need help with on my pd 130 6 speed 53 passat. I stopped the car for about 5 minutes when I got back in I could select all gears but the car wouldn't move . The clutch pedal was working and Hadn't dropped. When I looked under the bonnet I could move the gear selector on the gearbox fine and it looks and feels like it's engaging. With the engine running there is no noise or rumbles when I put it in first and let the clutch out just acts like it's in neutral. Could it be the clutch has gone or is my gearbox knackered.
    Cheers

0 0 0

2. Re: Vw Passat pd130 53 plate no gears 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    25 Post(s)
    how was it driving b4 this happened ?? what miles on it ??

0 0 0

3. Re: Vw Passat pd130 53 plate no gears 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It was driving okay. It's just passed 160k

0 0 0

4. Re: Vw Passat pd130 53 plate no gears 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    308 Post(s)
    There is a gear linkage that affects the 6 speeds but I don't know if it's applicable .

0 0 0

5. Re: Vw Passat pd130 53 plate no gears 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The ball joint on the bottom of the linkage is okay and I can move the selector on the gearbox to engage gears just nothing at the wheels

0 0 0

6. Re: Vw Passat pd130 53 plate no gears 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    25 Post(s)
    might sound silly---but try putting it in gear-then try to start--ie you will then know if it is actualy going into gear, just start then off-so as not to be ramming into anything eh.haha

0 0 0

7. Re: Vw Passat pd130 53 plate no gears 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have tried that with no joy. I'm thinking it must be a clutch issue as it seems the clutch isn't engaging when you release the pedal.
    Frustrating ...

0 0 0

8. Re: Vw Passat pd130 53 plate no gears 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    53 Post(s)
    Have you tried in other gears besides first? If none of them move the car there is a problem with 1) the input to the gearbox from the clutch, 2) the gear selectors, 3) the drive to the differential, 4) a broken differential pinion, or 5) a broken CV or universal joint in a drive shaft.

It is easy to check the driveshaft joints by hand, so do that first. I have seen driveshaft flange bolts sheared off before now. If that has happened, you are lucky it didn't happen while driving.

If the joints are OK, with the gearbox in neutral, ignition off, try jacking up one front wheel (assuming it is front wheel drive) and turning it. It should turn with some slight resistance from the differential.

Then put it in first gear and try turning the wheel again. Normally, this should not be possible, or very difficult.

If it turns with quite a bit more resistance, the gearbox is probably OK, but there is a problem with the clutch or gearbox input shaft.

If it does turn as easily as before, the gear is not engaged or is damaged, or the drive to the differential is broken.

If you jack up both wheels and turn one of them with first gear engaged, the other wheel should turn in the opposite direction. This will tell you whether the differential is working.
    Did this forum help you? Help make sure it's here next time! Follow the instructions at the top of the page to make a suitable donation using PayPal .
    1996 A4 B5 (S2) Avant 1.8T (petrol) 150 bhp code AEB automatic with 79,125 kms = 49,450 miles on 30/07/23
    VW T25 Camper, Alfa 33 1.4 ie, 2 Alfa 33's for parts.

0 0 0

9. Re: Vw Passat pd130 53 plate no gears 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    25 Post(s)
    is it cable shift from gear stick to gear box ??? has one or both given up ?? try select gear by hand at gearbox then try as said in above post !!

0 0 0