Notices

User Tag List

Thread: TRW or Brake Engineering for Rear Brakes ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. TRW or Brake Engineering for Rear Brakes ? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    35 Post(s)
    With my A6 at 88,000 miles and second set of pads, 46k first and 42k second set now with towing 1,700 kg horsebox a lot of the time ......... I can only wind in my caliper on one side around half way.

Anyway at 46k it was hard to do, but it did free off and with new discs on, I got a second life out of the calipers and did till just now.

I have decided at 11 year old, that I am just going to play safe, lazyitis & sort it out, I am going to fit new ones on.

The problem is that TRW seem to be Lucas made, with them buying out Brake Engineering. The Brake Engineering are more expensive ............. after my Lucas alternator fiasco with my A6, its putting me off the TRW ones, but its weeks before Xmas

Its the 1KD brakes I have & have the brake caliper & EPB improved/ been modifiednsince 2006 ??
    VW POLO 2002 1.2 12v , Audi A6 2006 2.0 TDi SE , Skoda Fabia 1.4 TDi

All 3 cars in the current fleet

0 0 0

2. Re: TRW or Brake Engineering for Rear Brakes ? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)
    I have experince with Bosch and Textar. Bosch was OK except they were making noise after 5000km. Textar are better, no noise at all (after 17000km they are still like new).

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk
    Audi A6 Sedan C6 2.0 TDIe 2011 Condor Grey metallic

0 0 0

3. Re: TRW or Brake Engineering for Rear Brakes ? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    76 Post(s)
    you could overhaul the caliper ?

The motor is available in various kits for a lot less than the price of a new caliper.

The main change is that the motors went from a 6 splined shaft to a 12 splined shaft early ones having the 6 splines.

Are you sure that the motor/caliper is the issue as the early cars suffer from wiring faults.

you could swap over the caliper motors from one side to another to make sure that the wiring is good.
    Dan
    2009/2010 2.0 TDIe SE

0 0 0

4. Re: TRW or Brake Engineering for Rear Brakes ? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    What is your mechanical ability? As Dan says the rebuild is pretty straight forward and costs about £30 all in inc piston and seals all in versus a fair bit for the caliper.

Either way my biggest issue was the brake hose connection to the caliper was pretty rusted and the connection further up to the brake pipe was equally bad!
    Audi A6 2008 Saloon Sline 2.0 Tdi BRE
    Vw Passat B7 1.6 tdi 2012 estate

Previously - 2008 1.6 tdi Mini, 2006 Mazda Mx5 1.8, 2002 Vw Golf 1.9 tdi SE, 2010 Bmw 318d Msport, 1992 Porsche 944 2.5 turbo, 1986 Porsche 944 2.5 NA, 1984 Porsche 944 2.5 NA

0 0 0

5. Re: TRW or Brake Engineering for Rear Brakes ? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    35 Post(s)
    My mechanical ability is not too bad, could have and should have done the rebuild myself.

I went for the TRW in the end

Time & towing the daughters horsebox meant it had to be fixed fast

0 0 0

6. Re: TRW or Brake Engineering for Rear Brakes ? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    How were the hoses and brake pipes?

I was planning on going trw if my rebuild din't work!
    Audi A6 2008 Saloon Sline 2.0 Tdi BRE
    Vw Passat B7 1.6 tdi 2012 estate

Previously - 2008 1.6 tdi Mini, 2006 Mazda Mx5 1.8, 2002 Vw Golf 1.9 tdi SE, 2010 Bmw 318d Msport, 1992 Porsche 944 2.5 turbo, 1986 Porsche 944 2.5 NA, 1984 Porsche 944 2.5 NA

0 0 0

7. Re: TRW or Brake Engineering for Rear Brakes ? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1836 Post(s)
    Technically speaking TRW and Brake Engineering are the same company, I find TRW products are superior but their supply is erratic and can drive me to distraction.....
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

8. Re: TRW or Brake Engineering for Rear Brakes ? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Strath44 View Post
    How were the hoses and brake pipes?

I was planning on going trw if my rebuild din't work!
    The pipes were okay actually. The Torx screws holding on the electric motor didnt look too good though

0 0 0

9. Re: TRW or Brake Engineering for Rear Brakes ? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    Technically speaking TRW and Brake Engineering are the same company, I find TRW products are superior but their supply is erratic and can drive me to distraction.....

................... distraction leads to copious amounts of beer as compensation

I just didnt know why Eurocarparts had them dearer, which wouldnt have been a problem if they were worth it

0 0 0

10. Re: TRW or Brake Engineering for Rear Brakes ? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1836 Post(s)
    When I have the time (a luxury) to order the calipers I need in advance, if TRW list them I will suffer the delay and get them. A current project requires 8L S3 rear calipers/carriers with adapters to make early Golf 3 280-mm front discs (5 stud) fit the back of a Golf 2, yes as odd balls it sounds! I hate reconditioning ally calipers (VAG forbid it) and new carriers from TPS are stupid money but the set from TRW brand new (not exchange, if it has an E at the end of the number it is exchange) was the same one ONE new caliper from TPS and they are THE exact same parts. I ordered them as a set, 2 calipers and a carrrier arrived in three months, the second carrier after another month... Worth it though, unbeatable quality.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast