Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Golf MK5 1.4 TSI starts sometimes but when warm cuts out then doesnt start?

1. Golf MK5 1.4 TSI starts sometimes but when warm cuts out then doesnt start? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Hi,

So my brother has bought a new car and it comes with a rather confusing problem. The car is a Golf MK5 1.4TSI 57plate. What happens is on a cold start it starts fine and you can turn it off and start it plenty of times without issue however ones it has warmed up or if you drive it to somewhere then turn it off, it will not start or some times it does start but then cuts out.. Sometimes stays on but when you touch the accelerator it cuts out.. The weird thing is.. When taking the starter relay out and putting it back in.. The car will start again! but if you turn it off and then try turn it on again, it will do the same thing. We have replaced the battery to a brand new one, the alternator and the starter motor and it hasn't done any thing at all ... What else could it be? Currently in the process of replacing the throttle body as it is a little dirty from inside.. Any other suggestions?

Is the starter relay relating to any thing else that we could possible replace?

Thank You!

0 0 0

2. Re: Golf MK5 1.4 TSI starts sometimes but when warm cuts out then doesnt start? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I forgot to mention guys.. The radiator fan seems to be kicking in when stopping on red lights but turns off after being on for about 5 seconds.. Could this be that the engine is overheating? How can I check the engine temperature because my dashboard only has a boost gauge and fuel gauge.. Can it be done through VAGCOM and is it the same as the "coolant temperature" as the coolant temperature seems fine.. I did take the coolant temperature sensor cable off to see if the car runs any better but it didn't make any difference. I am literally really stumped at what the issue could be so can any one please guide me to something

Thanks.

0 0 0

3. Re: Golf MK5 1.4 TSI starts sometimes but when warm cuts out then doesnt start? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    You need to get it code read but possible crank sensor fault when hot can cause non start for a while.

0 0 0

4. Re: Golf MK5 1.4 TSI starts sometimes but when warm cuts out then doesnt start? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hook View Post
    You need to get it code read but possible crank sensor fault when hot can cause non start for a while.

I have done a code read and the only issue that shows up is the intake manifold flap sensor stuck open bank 1.. Doesn't say anything about the crank sensor.. Is there a way to test the crank sensor using VAGCOM? or is it hard to replace so I can just replace it as there seems to be nothing else left to replace so why not replace that too.

0 0 0

5. Re: Golf MK5 1.4 TSI starts sometimes but when warm cuts out then doesnt start? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Crank sensor won't give a code if faulty, not sure on cps location just have a look near bellhousing area should be easy to spot.

0 0 0

6. Re: Golf MK5 1.4 TSI starts sometimes but when warm cuts out then doesnt start? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    my daughter's 1.4 TSI had a similar fault. Amongst others....failing to start when warm was traced to the fuel pump under the back seat. Would sometimes start, tick over, but not accelerate. Classic fuel starvation. Apparently there were 2 pumps/relays and one was faulty. VW letchworth replaced this and that specific problem disappeared.

0 0 0