1. Loosing coolant 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    My 1.9 asz gt tdi 2002 is loosing coolant , I think it is being pushed out of the overflow on the coolant reservoir, the cap seems to hold the pressure so I dont think its faulty , there is no water in the oil but I suspect the cooling system is being over pressurised by the engine ??? Head gasket???? any ideas or ways to confirm this ???????

0 0 0

2. Re: Loosing coolant 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    It could be thermostat stuck but to check if head gasket , take the cap off and start the engine if bubble appears in the reservoir then its the gasket

0 0 0

3. Re: Loosing coolant 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    Temp guage is normal ,been on motorway today on a hundred mile round trip and no overheating etc , in the header tank I get sort of foamy coolant , like washing up bubbles

0 0 0

4. Re: Loosing coolant 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    you have head gasket issue.
    to be sure have it checked out at engineering place,they use a liquid to identify if head gasket is blowing.cost £25.

0 1 0

5. Re: Loosing coolant 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    Wouldnt I get some overheating or oil/ water mix though ??? , I have seen on forums about the egr cooler pressurising the coolant or is that a load of twoddle ???

0 0 0

6. Re: Loosing coolant 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stephenwhite990 View Post
    Wouldnt I get some overheating or oil/ water mix though ??? , I have seen on forums about the egr cooler pressurising the coolant or is that a load of twoddle ???
    if head gasket severely damaged you get overheating,oil and water mixes when gasket deteriorate between oil and water holes in the head,as to egr load of gibberish.as i said before have it checked out.

0 0 0

7. Re: Loosing coolant 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    42 Post(s)
    Really common head gasket failure on these engines. Usually high milers. If you can see the coolant coming through the overflow pipe that rules out the water pump. Early stage is everything is fine but when given a good booting the pressure in the coolant gets to high and the the pressure cap dumps coolant . I always use the 150bhp headbolts on replacement for the 100 bhp 115 bhp and 130 bhp engines as they have a higher rating.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

0 0 0

8. Re: Loosing coolant 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    Looks like I best start buying parts , like head gasket , bolts , cambelt , anything else ????? It has done 171000

0 0 0

9. Re: Loosing coolant 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    42 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stephenwhite990 View Post
    Looks like I best start buying parts , like head gasket , bolts , cambelt , anything else ????? It has done 171000
    Oil filter and oil. Anti freeze. Camcover gasket.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

0 0 0

10. Re: Loosing coolant 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    Only other symptom apart from loosing coolant is that it is very frothy in the header tank like washing up bubbles , I am going to try and get the head pressure tested when I finally get it off should I get it skimmed as well????

0 0 0

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast