Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stephenwhite990 View Post
    Only other symptom apart from loosing coolant is that it is very frothy in the header tank like washing up bubbles , I am going to try and get the head pressure tested when I finally get it off should I get it skimmed as well????
    yes head needs to be skimmed also new head bolts are required,timing belt,water pump if not changed recently. if your car has done high mileage while the head is off renew the valve seals as well.also oil and oil filter will need to changed.

0 0 0

2. Re: Loosing coolant 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    Do I just get the same head gasket as the one that comes off as I believe there are three different markers on the gasket ?

0 0 0

3. Re: Loosing coolant 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    42 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stephenwhite990 View Post
    Do I just get the same head gasket as the one that comes off as I believe there are three different markers on the gasket ?
    DEFINITELY . Its all too do with piston projection. Ie how much the piston protrudes the cylinder. If yours has one hole get a one hole . One hole is the slimmest . Two hole is thicker and 3 hole is the thickest. If you get head skimmed ask the engineer for advice on gasket. I would only skim the head if it has warped.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

0 0 0

4. Re: Loosing coolant 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    I have started to strip it down today , cant get the bloody engine mount out no matter how high or low i lift the engine . But my main concern at the moment is - I noticed the glow plug connector rail looked a bit cracked and when I tried to pull it off the glow plugs it has snapped on all the plugs and is cracked along its length , but the wiring from it just disappears into the harness , is this easy to swap out and where is the connector to the harness ????

0 0 0

5. Re: Loosing coolant 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    Changing the harness is not easy,first of all you need to chase up where the harness leads to,very rare there is a connector.

0 0 0

6. Re: Loosing coolant 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    35 Post(s)
    take the head to a machine workshop and get them to replace valve stem guides, rubber seals etc

they are usually quite cheap for what they do
    VW POLO 2002 1.2 12v , Audi A6 2006 2.0 TDi SE , Skoda Fabia 1.4 TDi

All 3 cars in the current fleet

0 0 0

7. Re: Loosing coolant 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    remember to renew the head bolts.

0 0 0

8. Re: Loosing coolant 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    42 Post(s)
    Remember to blow out the head bolt holes in the block. Otherwise cracking the block on refit is possible.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

0 0 0

9. Re: Loosing coolant 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    Head is off now , just got to remove the injectors ready for skimming and time to go shopping for gaskets , bolts , timing belt etc

0 0 0

10. Re: Loosing coolant 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    Finished rebuilding it today , it starts and runs and is fine on tickover , but when reved there is a screeching / wining noise and i cant for the live of me work out if something is catching but i dont think so as it doesnt do it at tickover or if its something like no oil getting to the turbo (turbo is only 12 months old and was fine before ) . Any ideas before I sell it as spares or repairs or break it ?????????

0 0 0

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast