Notices

User Tag List

Thread: VW Passat 2001 B5.5 Over Revving...

1. VW Passat 2001 B5.5 Over Revving... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi All

Really hoping someone here can help and give some advice with an issue I will try to explain as best I can.

I have a VW Passat 2001 B5.5 2.0 Petrol 133000 miles.

In the last week or so the engine appears to be over revving when I change gear and then reapply the accelerator. This happens in all gears and also when cruising along in 4th gear for example, if I apply the accelerator the revs will climb up but no extra power is delivered. The revs then die back down and engine "catches up" with itself.

Looking around on the forums there seem to be a few different causes from a faulty clutch switch to clutch plate and flywheel issue.

Anyone got any ideas.

0 0 0

2. Re: VW Passat 2001 B5.5 Over Revving... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    104 Post(s)
    It sounds like a slipping clutch to me, especially if there is no record of the clutch having already been replaced in 133000 miles. Do you have trouble engaging gear or smell burning if you pullover and lift the bonnet after driving along with this over revving?

0 0 0

3. Re: VW Passat 2001 B5.5 Over Revving... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Rob69

No trouble changing gear. I haven't noticed any burning smell after getting out of the car, but haven't lifted the bonnet after driving.

Car has not been driven since last Saturday as didn't want to make a potential problem any worse. I could go for a drive later and check for any smell.

0 0 0

4. Re: VW Passat 2001 B5.5 Over Revving... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    104 Post(s)
    Find a steepish hill and try climbing in 3rd gear accelerating hardish, but don't go daft with the throttle if it's obviously slipping and over revving. have a sniff at the top of the hill

0 0 0

5. Re: VW Passat 2001 B5.5 Over Revving... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah, stuggled up the hill in third and over revved but no extra power given. Popped the bonnet and had sniff, nothing too bad but did smell hot if that makes sense.

0 0 0

6. Re: VW Passat 2001 B5.5 Over Revving... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    104 Post(s)
    It sounds like your clutch is slipping then.

0 0 0

7. Re: VW Passat 2001 B5.5 Over Revving... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Cheers. Going to book it into garage today.

1 0 0

8. Re: VW Passat 2001 B5.5 Over Revving... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    So, spoke to my local garage today...

...they are saying that to replace the whole Clutch and Dual Mass Flywheel is going to cost somewhere in the region of £700+.

I'm not very mechanically minded - change a spark plug, thats about my limit - so forgive me if I sound daft now, but does a slipping clutch warrant a whole clutch and DMF replacement?

I would understand it if the whole clutch had broke.

0 0 0

9. Re: VW Passat 2001 B5.5 Over Revving... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    104 Post(s)
    Most folks replace the dual mass flywheel at the same time as the clutch friction plate and pressure plate because the flywheel is quite a complicated assembly with bearings and springs that wear out and can and do fail, and if you've just done the clutch plates then the flywheel goes a few thousand miles later you feel pretty sick. A good chunk of the money you pay is labour to remove the gearbox and fit the new clutch, then refit the gearbox, fitting a new flywheel at the same time takes relatively little extra in labour. Some folks take a chance and just do the friction and pressure plates, providing the flywheel looks ok once the clutch is out, my pal did on his golf, but I suspect the garage will be reluctant to give a warranty on the clutch if the old flywheel is used. If you google dual mass flywheels to see how they work you might get a better idea of why they recommend to change them. It's a chance you take not to change it and you might need to factor in many other age related things on an older car like yours, will it be needing new brakes, suspension, etc etc in the near future. cars go to scrapyards for less, be a shame to see a B5 go though !!

0 0 0

10. Re: VW Passat 2001 B5.5 Over Revving... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    63 Post(s)
    You could always wait until the clutch gets worse. Price seems very reasonable though and always best to get the DMF changed at the same time. There isn't a fix for a slipping clutch - it means the clutch is wearing out and needs replacement.
    Current- A6 C8 40 tdi quattro s line Daytona Grey
    Gone-S3 sportback, A6 C7 biturbo saloon,A4 B 8.5 avant, A6 C6 3.0 tdi Quattro saloon, A6 C5 2.8 Q Avant

0 0 0