Notices

User Tag List

Thread: A6 C6 Front wiper linkage come disconnected from motor?

1. A6 C6 Front wiper linkage come disconnected from motor? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Guys,
    I have an '06 Audi Allroad, bought a few weeks ago. So far it has been a dream to drive, but on Friday morning driving to work I had a strange problem:
    The intermittent wipe was on and when the wipers were pointing almost vertically, they just stopped moving. I checked it out when I got to work and was able to slide the wipers back down to their rest position. A search of the forums (here and elsewhere) filled me with dread that the motor had failed, or the linkage had seized up. I veered away from the linkage seizing, as I could move the wipers freely (I presumed i shouldn't be able to move them if everything was OK, but at the same time if they move, they can't be seized, right?).

Fortunately it didn't rain on the way home, and on Saturday morning I had the chance to have a proper look (it was dark by the time I left work on Friday). What I found does not match up with the other problems I have seen people having so i wanted to see if anyone else has had a similar issue: The wiper linkage appears to have come disconnected from the motor at one of the ball joints, as shown in the picture below:
    Disconnected wiper linkage.jpg

The wiper motor still seems to work ok, and the car isn't reporting any problems.
    Has anyone seen this issue before? There isn't enough space for me to get the linage back over the balljoint (and I presume there must be some kind of screw/nut that holds it in place which has fallen off) with everything in-situ, so i assume I will have to take the whole thing out to get at it. At the moment I am battling with getting the actual wiper arms off so that I can remove the cover (lots of penetrating spray). I have a wiper arm puller, but it doesn't seem to be budging at the moment.

If anyone has an alternative approach that means I don't have to take everything out, that would be great!

I am hoping that because it is a balljoint, if I don't remove any of the keyed parts on the motor (wiper arms not withstanding, but I have clearly marked these), the alignment will be fine when I get it back together.

Any hints or tips for the process (including getting the damned wiper arms off) would be most welcome!

Cheers

0 0 0

2. Re: A6 C6 Front wiper linkage come disconnected from motor? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    76 Post(s)
    Dan
    2009/2010 2.0 TDIe SE

0 0 0

3. ngRe: A6 C6 Front wiper linkage come disconnected from motor? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dan2485 View Post
    Hi Dan, thanks for the info! I ordered one of them off Amazon earlier on, so it should turn up tomorrow. The only one I could get reasonably locally was one of these: Draper WST6 Expert Windscreen Wiper Removal Tool - Machine Mart - Machine Mart
    I think the gap in there is a bit too narrow or something because as soon as I start tightening it, it pushes itself off the side!

The only concern i had with the one you showed (and I guess I'll find out tomorrow) is that there isn't a huge amount of space above the left-hand (looking at it from the front) wiper arm with the bonnet there. Did you have enough clearance?

Cheers!

0 0 0

4. Re: ngRe: A6 C6 Front wiper linkage come disconnected from motor? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    76 Post(s)
    That machine Mart price is shocking for the pulley.

Pro Car Windscreen Window Wiper Arm Removal Remover Tool Mechanic Puller 15mm UK | eBay

if you lift the bonnet you have more room.
    Dan
    2009/2010 2.0 TDIe SE

0 0 0

5. Re: ngRe: A6 C6 Front wiper linkage come disconnected from motor? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    35 Post(s)
    what I find works is with bonnet open, is lift arm of windscreen & rock the arm until the thing pops

usually doesn't take much
    VW POLO 2002 1.2 12v , Audi A6 2006 2.0 TDi SE , Skoda Fabia 1.4 TDi

All 3 cars in the current fleet

0 0 0

6. Re: ngRe: A6 C6 Front wiper linkage come disconnected from motor? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks guys, I will give it a try tomorrow!

0 0 0

7. Re: ngRe: A6 C6 Front wiper linkage come disconnected from motor? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Helium

For what it's worth regarding removing the arms.

The arms connect to the spindle with a spline fitting. If there is any lateral pressure at all on these, they can feel like they are stuck solid when actually there is nothing blocking the removal at all. So before you go to any great lengths than a bit of penetrating fluid, lift the arm pressure completely off the windscreen ie fold up the spring all the way, and make sure you are pulling gently but firmly directly upwards (ie in line with axis of spindle).

Apologies if I'm teaching you to suck eggs - but thought it was worth mentioning, first time I had to remove my blades I spent an embarrassing length of time trying to get them to part company, thinking I needed a puller etc etc, only to watch someone who'd done it before just gently lift them off. As if that wasn't enough, next time round even though I was forewarned, it still took me several goes - not cos they were stuck, just not taking the whole of the spring pressure off. Holding the arm off the windscreen but not fully disengaged is still enough to wedge the two halves of the spline firmly together.

Cheers and hope you get it sorted

0 0 0