1. Re: Which Passat Model? Total Noob. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    Yes, but it's gear driven so one less thing to worry about ;-)

0 0 0

2. Re: Which Passat Model? Total Noob. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    308 Post(s)
    True , but a CR can have a 100mm or 77mm key .

Comparing the two oem set ups the 77mm provides just 15mm contact length in a non hexagonal balancer shaft keyway the same not ideal but deeper keyway is used for the 100mm but this time it provides over double the contact length at 35mm .

I know which one I'd rather have...

0 0 0

3. Re: Which Passat Model? Total Noob. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    Or if he's brave enough he can just delete the whole crap which I've been thinking of doing, some say it leaves the engine with a bit more vibration while others say they can't feel nothing. The 100mm hex key is being sold at an extortionate amount which doesn't help.

0 0 0

4. Re: Which Passat Model? Total Noob. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    308 Post(s)
    The longer key is not a fix as it will not fit as it will poke beyond where the 77mm is retained by a circlip in the oil pump cassette .

100mm keys are usually sub £10 , what were you quoted ?

I'd just renew with the two better aftermarket engineering components , balancer shaft keyway being the re-enginnered part .

A delete is more work .

0 0 0

5. Re: Which Passat Model? Total Noob. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    Didn't you just say that the 100mm provides double the contact point?

I was looking at KMB that sell it for £210, another on eBay for £150 after you give your old one in. Problem with buying just the hex key, the shaft it goes into can also become problematic so that needs looking into too. It's also another £25 for the balance shaft locking tool. I do have a spare bkp engine so I'm going do a trial on that first. I'll be selling that and many other car parts to fund my big project. I will be sorting the shaft out, rear crakeshaft seal and a new clutch/dmf kit in one go. Turbo also needs to have its actuator adjusted. I've been told it can be done on the engine with them curved 10mm wrenches.

Yes I know it is, I've seen everything that's involved but if you know what you're going you'll be fine.

0 0 0

6. Re: Which Passat Model? Total Noob. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    308 Post(s)
    Yes , oem 77mm has 15mm contact length .

100mm oem , 35mm , over double , I wonder why they did that !!!

0 0 0

7. Re: Which Passat Model? Total Noob. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    There's so much hate for the b6, they really did introduce new innovative features but at the expense of reliability. The immobiliser for the new fancy key fob, EPB and balancing shaft needed more time. I think the 2010 b6 has a 100mm hex right? I do know it went through three hardware revisions. Lesson learnt though! Never buy a new shape car, always wait till the face lift or the last models of its model come out. My sister got the 330D and it's when the new shape was introduced, it too is riddled with issues.

0 0 0

8. Re: Which Passat Model? Total Noob. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    308 Post(s)
    Very true , never get the new model , they don't seem to long test anymore .

After the dreaded B6 experience a product ( the first of a newly invented model ) with a little more faith was purchased with the remainder of a Korean 5 year / unlimited mileage , wrong....

4 warranty claims , all common faults that affect the model including an engine change @ 45K because it was losing coolant because the cylinder liners are porous , FFS .

The other terminal issue not experienced was malfunctioning dpf which requests multiple regens or a failed pump seal that puts litres of havoc wrecking diesel fuel into the engine oil .

Passat B7 ( really a B6.5 ) is a safer bet after 2010 , but THEY ruined the looks, I liked the front and rear lights , real loss those rear Skyline lights .

0 0 0

9. Re: Which Passat Model? Total Noob. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    Yes B7 is mechanically an improvement however those lights are so dull. The B8 really is a huge jump in improving the b7. The Bi Turbo R-line B8 is stunning, just a shame due to VW not being the flagship brand, Audi gets the 3.0 tdi's in the saloons. I've been drooling over a 3.6 VR6 B6, with supercharger and few mods it turns into 500+hp monster.

0 0 0

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12