1. HELP HELP steering pump part number 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    I've just bought a 2004 polo for my wife only problem being it had a power steering problem so it was cheap 😉.

Young lad who I got the car from had replaced the pump with a second hand unit but didn't realise he needed a matching part number pump, unfortunately he's thrown away the old unit is there any way I can find this out?

I understand the pump and angle sensor have to match up from what I've read about.
    Or is it an option to just take a whole new steering rack and pump from a salvage car?

0 0 0

2. Re: HELP HELP steering pump part number 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Bump, any help would be much appreciated I'm stuck until I know what to do.

0 0 0

3. Re: HELP HELP steering pump part number 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    42 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slevan7 View Post
    Bump, any help would be much appreciated I'm stuck until I know what to do.
    What engine ? Petrol /diesel and manual or auto?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Pm your reg number i will see if i can help

0 0 0

4. Re: HELP HELP steering pump part number 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    It's a 2004 1.2 petrol. I had a proper look at it yesterday and I think they have changed the angle sensor aswell. The kid I got it from did say he didn't realise about taking them from the same vehicle so he's just cut his losses.

0 0 0

5. Re: HELP HELP steering pump part number 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    42 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slevan7 View Post
    It's a 2004 1.2 petrol. I had a proper look at it yesterday and I think they have changed the angle sensor aswell. The kid I got it from did say he didn't realise about taking them from the same vehicle so he's just cut his losses.
    Far as I can tell its 6R0423156C. What one do you have? 6R0423156B should be fine as well. These pumps are also coded. The correct coding is probably already set in your vehicle. The coding just varies the operating voltage and therefore lightens the steering and can be changed in units of 10. Think the lower the last 2 digits the lighter the steering. Or I might be wrong it might be the higher the last 2 digits the lighter the steering...actually I think that's correct. If you can get vcds on there check the operating voltage if its showing 7.7 volts (half battery voltage with engine running) then one of the 2 bridges inside the pump has failed which is usually the actual problem with the pump .

0 0 0

6. Re: HELP HELP steering pump part number 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    42 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FLAPPERJACK76 View Post
    Far as I can tell its 6R0423156C. What one do you have? 6R0423156B should be fine as well. These pumps are also coded. The correct coding is probably already set in your vehicle. The coding just varies the operating voltage and therefore lightens the steering and can be changed in units of 10. Think the lower the last 2 digits the lighter the steering. Or I might be wrong it might be the higher the last 2 digits the lighter the steering...actually I think that's correct. If you can get vcds on there check the operating voltage if its showing 7.7 volts (half battery voltage with engine running) then one of the 2 bridges inside the pump has failed which is usually the actual problem with the pump .

Also there mega expensive like £600 . Gsf sell for about £200. I would get a 2nd hand one.

0 0 0

7. Re: HELP HELP steering pump part number 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    So as far as the angle sensor goes is that linked in some way to an individual pump? Or is it just a bog standard sensor?

I'll try to find out tomorrow what the part number is, so when I replace the pump will I have to have someone come and replace code it or if I get the right unit will it be recognised and just work?

Sorry for the lack of knowledge I normally stay away from all the coded crap it's just a headache.

0 0 0

8. Re: HELP HELP steering pump part number 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    42 Post(s)
    Code in the car should be good. If the angle sensor has already been replaced then I would fit a 2nd hand pump. But firstly you should scan the car check faults. Be a good idea to make sure you have a live and an earth as well at the pump before you replace anything.

0 0 0

9. Re: HELP HELP steering pump part number 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Okay I'll need to order the cable for the software as I only have a handheld unit and it shows no fault codes.

It might be worth saying he told me when he replaced the pump it worked then it had blown the plate fuse on top of the battery after 30 seconds , so stupidly he just bypassed it and now it doesn't work. Thinking about what you said about it being voltage control that runs different pumps I'm sure he's fitted the wrong one.

I'll download the software and buy a cable before I do anything else.

Thanks for your help I'll get back to you when I have more information.

0 0 0

10. Re: HELP HELP steering pump part number 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    42 Post(s)
    Your welcome. If it was blowing the fuse at a guess it would sound like the pump.

0 0 0

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast