1. Beemer 530d loaner 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    44 Post(s)
    So, some numpty clipped my car on a roundabout and whilst the damage is minimal (just a scuff on the arch) it's off to be repaired and I've been given a 66 plate 530d M-sport touring as a loaner.

Now, I've only driven it a few miles so far but my first impressions are good (driving it at least, I find the cabin cluttered and cheap feeling) The gearbox is excellent. So, how can the ZF box which seems to be shared in both the 530d and the Bitdi feel so much more responsive in ze Beemer?

The initial pick up in 1st from a standstill is like chalk and cheese between my Bitdi. There isn't any lag, it just goes. It also seems to know what gear you want next and selects it without delay. The kick down is nothing like the Audi, no real delay and loads of power.

Feels like I'm driving an even more powerful car despite it have 50 odd bhp less than my A6.

It also really doesn't sound like a diesel at all. Again the A6 does clatter a bit like a diesel but this one doesn't at all. I've been really really surprised by it.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

0 0 0

2. Re: Beemer 530d loaner 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)
    The gearbox is apparently mapped by Audi and BMW themselves to have the "characteristics" they desire. I have had my gearbox updates twice now and the difference between programmes 1,2 and 3 is quite amazing.

As for engine noise and smoothness, a straight 6 is easier to balance than a V6- the V engine requires a balancing mechanism as it is effectively two inline 3 cylinders.

0 1 0

3. Re: Beemer 530d loaner 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    44 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cjmcb View Post
    The gearbox is apparently mapped by Audi and BMW themselves to have the "characteristics" they desire. I have had my gearbox updates twice now and the difference between programmes 1,2 and 3 is quite amazing.

As for engine noise and smoothness, a straight 6 is easier to balance than a V6- the V engine requires a balancing mechanism as it is effectively two inline 3 cylinders.
    What maps have they done to your gearbox and why?

I'm not happy with how sluggish mine feels especially when kicking down.

That's makes sense ref the engine noise I suppose, but it sounds undiesel like even when idling compared to an in line 4 cylinder diesel for example.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

0 0 0

4. Re: Beemer 530d loaner 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)
    I am also interested in the gearbox mapping as well as I was driving in the Scottish Highlands and got trounced by two Ford Focus RS. I am hoping they were highly modded because the stock car isn't that much quicker than mine (320ps saloon)

I did make the mistake of letting the gearbox kick down itself which sometimes seems to take ages (1-2 seconds to complete) by which time the first RS was going well past me.

The second one repeated it. I wish I had selected manual and dropped into the right gear to see if it made a difference. That and having 4 people, luggage and the wife telling me to ease off didn't really help. Would have been interesting to see if the RSs could have done it on the hill though which was only just round the next bend.

0 0 0

5. Re: Beemer 530d loaner 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    235 Post(s)
    I think the way manufacturers maps the gearboxes makes a huge difference.
    My wife’s merc has a 7 speed dsg box which I presume is a similar if not the same as my 272 s tronic. Mine feels sharp and changes quickly to the conditions. The merc is somewhat sedated/retarded. A couple of times I go into a roundabout and it decided to make a change and take 2 seconds to do it with cars coming and kick down is so bad sometimes it would have been better holding the higher gear on full throttle.

0 0 0

6. Re: Beemer 530d loaner 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)
    Ive had the gearbox reprogrammed twice; once was after 5 moths for it trying to hold onto while selecting the next gear up = big bang and shudder through car. Second time was when self down shifting in auto it was really jerky

0 0 0