Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmagee View Post
    One of the only reasons I'm glad I've halogen headlights. See so many led DRLs that are dead, extensive replacing the whole headlight.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
    Love my halogens too even though I've had Xenons before. Not so keen on the DRLs but use them on M6 and other motorways, although "Auto" tends to override them. The days of the overly intense Mercedes ones seem to be over but they can be very glary in low light when dipped beam is the right choice.

Even though their fitment is now mandatory I don't think their use is. Personally, I think that all the lights dilute the benefit that bikers have with their lights but you don't see so many of them on motorways compared to other roads. I particularly dislike the surging indicators which are distracting and my previous point seems to be reinforced by the fact that the DRL on the same side often gets extinguished at the same time.

To me their function is paramount and shouldn't be compromised by aesthetics. I'm far more concerned by lane changing etiquette (indicator use) than I am by DRLs though.

Anyone see the numpty in the blue unlit slammed VW SO 51 SVE on the M6 (S) in the dark on Saturday night? Thankfully I could probably hear him before I could see him.
    MY2014 A6 allroad 245PS, my 8th Audi in 20 years - all quattros. 15th VAG car (incl 2 used ones).

0 0 0

2. Re: Modern car build quality 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhysoTDI View Post
    Yup. See that all the time too. People don’t pay attention to the conditions. Quite often I come across cars in the rain which don’t have any lights on and you don’t spot until you are practically on top of them
    It's the visibility that counts rather than having lights on just because its raining, but I know what you mean. Trouble is we all have slightly different thresholds from the fog lights end of the rain spectrum to the no lights in a monsoon end (and probably in a grey car too).

I generally dislike the "Auto" options as it sometimes replaces common sense.
    MY2014 A6 allroad 245PS, my 8th Audi in 20 years - all quattros. 15th VAG car (incl 2 used ones).

0 0 0

3. Re: Modern car build quality 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    174 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Splash View Post
    Love my halogens too even though I've had Xenons before. Not so keen on the DRLs but use them on M6 and other motorways, although "Auto" tends to override them. The days of the overly intense Mercedes ones seem to be over but they can be very glary in low light when dipped beam is the right choice.

Even though their fitment is now mandatory I don't think their use is. Personally, I think that all the lights dilute the benefit that bikers have with their lights but you don't see so many of them on motorways compared to other roads. I particularly dislike the surging indicators which are distracting and my previous point seems to be reinforced by the fact that the DRL on the same side often gets extinguished at the same time.

To me their function is paramount and shouldn't be compromised by aesthetics. I'm far more concerned by lane changing etiquette (indicator use) than I am by DRLs though.

Anyone see the numpty in the blue unlit slammed VW SO 51 SVE on the M6 (S) in the dark on Saturday night? Thankfully I could probably hear him before I could see him.
    All cars that were Type Approved after February 2011 must have DRLs fitted and these vehicles lost the option to turn them off (on my C6 Avant I could turn the DRLs off via the MMI but on the C7 that option was not there, likewise on my wifes Mk6 and Mk7 Golfs) so they will always be on. The issue (in the UK at least) is that the DRLs (from pretty much any manufacturer) do not turn on the rear lights as well so people drive around in assumption that because they can see lights on at the front they are also on at the back.

0 1 0

4. Re: Modern car build quality 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    That helpful and explains why some versions of our other car have a switch to deactivate the DRLs by the fuse panel. Ours doesn't and was a run-out model.

0 0 0

5. Re: Modern car build quality 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Currently in a Q5 17 plate loaner and I have to say, I am starting to agree with build quality. I didnt enjoy the A5 I was in a few months back and I wrote a thread with my thoughts on the loaner a while back but the Q5 seems no different.
    The key first of all is the newer style A5/Q5 key and feels very plasticy. The buttons are also do not feel very nice and this is generally the same feel inside. The dash/door cards all feel cheap and plastic and if you press these areas, they bow under pressure - something the older models seem to hold up to very well.

I do like very much the led lighting. Although I changed my A3/A6/A7 interior lighting to white led, it's a very flooded light feel where as the Q5 interior led lighting is very smooth - cant explain it. and the lens is touch-sens to turn on/off.

Seats again- just feel very fake leather...and I'm not a fan of the two tone steering wheel - once again the lower centre part feels and is plastic.

All this in mind, it's bound to start creaking/squeaking in the near future!
    Audi A7 Black Edition 3.0 TDI (272) 2015 (FL)

0 0 0

6. Re: Modern car build quality 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    174 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Akash View Post
    Currently in a Q5 17 plate loaner and I have to say, I am starting to agree with build quality. I didnt enjoy the A5 I was in a few months back and I wrote a thread with my thoughts on the loaner a while back but the Q5 seems no different.
    The key first of all is the newer style A5/Q5 key and feels very plasticy. The buttons are also do not feel very nice and this is generally the same feel inside. The dash/door cards all feel cheap and plastic and if you press these areas, they bow under pressure - something the older models seem to hold up to very well.

I do like very much the led lighting. Although I changed my A3/A6/A7 interior lighting to white led, it's a very flooded light feel where as the Q5 interior led lighting is very smooth - cant explain it. and the lens is touch-sens to turn on/off.

Seats again- just feel very fake leather...and I'm not a fan of the two tone steering wheel - once again the lower centre part feels and is plastic.

All this in mind, it's bound to start creaking/squeaking in the near future!
    The standard trim on the Q5 (not S-Line) is "Twin Leather" which as you will see is not all leather!

Standard seats with Twin leather. A combination trim offering the comfort and style of leather withoutthe higher cost. For maximum durability, real leather is applied in the following areas: seat centre panelson the front seats, driver’s seat bolster (entrance side only) and seat centre panels on the 2 rear seats.Leatherette trim is applied on the head restraints, seat side bolsters, door trim inserts, centre armrestand middle rear seat

0 0 0

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12