Notices

User Tag List

Thread: 2002 GT TDI: Misleading Fuel Level Information Reported on Dash!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. 2002 GT TDI: Misleading Fuel Level Information Reported on Dash! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    57 Post(s)
    Hello to all

I am trying to fix the last few issues on my mother's GT TDI. This is 1 of 2!

It has a fuel level reporting fault, and I wanted to run this past the group to make sure I don't fit / buy the wrong parts! Ok, from full, and right down to about 1/4 full, the gauge on the dash appears to report correct information. I've run it from full to empty (with a spare tank in the boot) to see what it does.

When you watch is closely from about 1/4 downwards through use, it continues to drop as you'd expect, right down to the upper white line of the reserve tank area. I watched, and noticed that during use, it reached the upper reserve line, and then "jumped" (which is where the mis-reporting seems to start) back upto nearly the 1/4 line. From there, it started dropping back down (through usage) towards the upper reserve tank line again and whilst driving the car and the car was still showing the upper reserve tank line, the engine died and it came to a halt. At no point did it drop into the reserve tank zone, or did the yellow warning light come on.

From the point that it jumped back upto the 1/4 full line, until it actually stopped from running out of fuel, I reckon it did about 50-60 miles. So... is it the fuel sender that sits in the tank that's likely to be at fault here? If not, is there anything else it could be?

Many thanks for any suggestions or ideas!

0 0 0

2. Re: 2002 GT TDI: Misleading Fuel Level Information Reported on Dash! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    I'd start with checking out the sender unit on the lift pump. Easy to access - it's under the rear o/s passenger seat. I replaced my lift pump a few years back and the sender and float came with it. Hopefully it's an inexpensive part to replace.
    2003 VW Golf Est 1.9 TDI 130
    2006 Audi A3 2.0 TDI Sport 140

0 0 0

3. Re: 2002 GT TDI: Misleading Fuel Level Information Reported on Dash! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    57 Post(s)
    Thanks Herby

How does one check the sender, without buying a new one? They are over £100 for gen parts, just for the sender unit on their own - not including the lift pump! Therefore, I'm trying to avoid splurging on a new one, without being fairly certain that this is the part that's causing the problem!

0 0 0

4. Re: 2002 GT TDI: Misleading Fuel Level Information Reported on Dash! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Ouch, didn't think it would have been that much.Lift pump and sender was £218 in 2009 when I replaced mine. How to check it? Guess you'd need someone handy with a multi-meter, but that person isn't me. GSF are selling the sender on ebay for £25 - VW Golf Mk4 Mk5 1997-2008 OEM Fuel Tank Sender | eBay
    Whip out the old one, check the part number and buy. At that price, I'd just change it.

0 0 0

5. Re: 2002 GT TDI: Misleading Fuel Level Information Reported on Dash! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    57 Post(s)
    It's probably what I'll need to end up doing - I just try avoid pattern / aftermarket parts where I can, as they are often a totally false economy in the longevity/performance stakes.

0 0 0

6. Re: 2002 GT TDI: Misleading Fuel Level Information Reported on Dash! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rjsdavis View Post
    It's probably what I'll need to end up doing - I just try avoid pattern / aftermarket parts where I can, as they are often a totally false economy in the longevity/performance stakes.
    On a 15 year old car, I wouldn't worry whether a part was genuine or not, how many more years do you expect to keep it going? Also, there's a good chance that part is made in the same factory as the ones originally fitted by VW.

0 0 0

7. Re: 2002 GT TDI: Misleading Fuel Level Information Reported on Dash! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    35 Post(s)
    I would go for the fuel sender first at £25 myself

You could price an OEM part, if they still stock them, then take it from there
    VW POLO 2002 1.2 12v , Audi A6 2006 2.0 TDi SE , Skoda Fabia 1.4 TDi

All 3 cars in the current fleet

0 0 0

8. Re: 2002 GT TDI: Misleading Fuel Level Information Reported on Dash! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    57 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan G H View Post
    On a 15 year old car, I wouldn't worry whether a part was genuine or not, how many more years do you expect to keep it going? Also, there's a good chance that part is made in the same factory as the ones originally fitted by VW.
    Well, it's utterly immaculate, less than 100k miles, and likely to go on for another 10-15 years and at least another 100k miles! Almost no expense has been spared keeping it sound. It's rare to find one in this condition and this well looked after.

If I knew it was made by the same manufacturer as OEM, I wouldn't hesitate.

0 0 0

9. Re: 2002 GT TDI: Misleading Fuel Level Information Reported on Dash! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    If you spend £25 on a pattern part and it fixes the fault, happy days. if you really can't sleep at night, spend the extra £100 on one from VW and replace the sender again. That way you've only wasted £25 rather than £100 (if you went for a VW part from the start and the problem wasn't fixed). Like Alan said, it's 15 years old and will become more of a drain on money as it ages, so a balance has to be struck. I'm surprised the good ol' GT TDI ARL chocolate cam hasn't had you weeping/cursing yet.

0 1 0

10. Re: 2002 GT TDI: Misleading Fuel Level Information Reported on Dash! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    57 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by herby0001 View Post
    If you spend £25 on a pattern part and it fixes the fault, happy days. if you really can't sleep at night, spend the extra £100 on one from VW and replace the sender again. That way you've only wasted £25 rather than £100 (if you went for a VW part from the start and the problem wasn't fixed). Like Alan said, it's 15 years old and will become more of a drain on money as it ages, so a balance has to be struck. I'm surprised the good ol' GT TDI ARL chocolate cam hasn't had you weeping/cursing yet.
    Guys

We're getting a bit caught up on pattern -v- gen. The point of the OP was to work out whether this was going to be the offending part to begin with! Is there anything else it could be, given the pattern of behaviour on the dash guage?

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast