Notices

User Tag List

Thread: I promise you this isnt your usual Coolant Temperature Sensor problem! Please help! :)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. I promise you this isnt your usual Coolant Temperature Sensor problem! Please help! :) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I was wondering if any of you out there have ever seen this or can think of some other option to try.
    I have a temperature gauge that wont move off 60.
    When I turn the ignition on the gauge moves as if it is then active, so I know there is power.
    So the usual fix would be change the sensor, I did this twice, the last was a Febi unit.
    I have rewired 2 plugs for it with no better result.
    If I use a paper clip and short connection 1 and 2, then turn the ignition on, the gauge shoots right up, so I am guessing the gauge actually works.
    I have used Vagcom light to read the ecu info and the dash signal info while taking it for a drive, the temperature rises to 90 and stays put so I also know its not the stat.
    I have no error codes also.
    I am completely stumped with this one so any light you guys could shine would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks

0 1 0

2. Re: I promise you this isnt your usual Coolant Temperature Sensor problem! Please help! :) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)
    I am no expert on this matter, but which engine do you have? On my BAU there are 2 temp sensors for the coolant.

0 1 0

3. Re: I promise you this isnt your usual Coolant Temperature Sensor problem! Please help! :) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I am running an Audi AKE, only one sensor with 2 jobs, on is for the ecu and the other is for the gauge.
    Cheers

0 1 0

4. Re: I promise you this isnt your usual Coolant Temperature Sensor problem! Please help! :) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Its the same sensor as my old AJM TDI

0 1 0

5. Re: I promise you this isnt your usual Coolant Temperature Sensor problem! Please help! :) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    May be an idea to ask BBA Reman if it could possibly be a dash fault.

0 1 0

6. Re: I promise you this isnt your usual Coolant Temperature Sensor problem! Please help! :) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The comercial garage in Rochester? Are they likely to help me, I would expect a garage to want everything to be chargable.

0 1 0

7. Re: I promise you this isnt your usual Coolant Temperature Sensor problem! Please help! :) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    53 Post(s)
    I suggest that if there is only one sensor, and the ECU gives the correct temperature via Vagcom, that your gauge is faulty.
    Did this forum help you? Help make sure it's here next time! Follow the instructions at the top of the page to make a suitable donation using PayPal .
    1996 A4 B5 (S2) Avant 1.8T (petrol) 150 bhp code AEB automatic with 79,125 kms = 49,450 miles on 30/07/23
    VW T25 Camper, Alfa 33 1.4 ie, 2 Alfa 33's for parts.

0 1 0

8. Re: I promise you this isnt your usual Coolant Temperature Sensor problem! Please help! :) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I guessed this too, just needed second guessing!

0 1 0

9. Re: I promise you this isnt your usual Coolant Temperature Sensor problem! Please help! :) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)
    As far as I know, the sensor is double: two sensor in the same "body", one connected to the ECU and another connected to the cluster. There is a second sensor in the lower radiator hose, for other control units.

Is the resistance on both sensor the same? Yo can try removing the pins from the connector and swaping them over. Maybe is a cabling problem.

0 1 0

10. Re: I promise you this isnt your usual Coolant Temperature Sensor problem! Please help! :) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I could try swapping them over, good thinking.

0 1 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast