Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Evening all - is it safe to return to the fold?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Re: Evening all - is it safe to return to the fold? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    308 Post(s)
    Absolutely , either way , disposal of batteries in some form it's a toxic planet .

0 0 0

2. Re: Evening all - is it safe to return to the fold? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    106 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1813 Post(s)
    I sorted that fat finger cockup
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 1 0

3. Re: Evening all - is it safe to return to the fold? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    That sounds a bad issue made worse by poor dealership service. I must say I thought Nissan were supposed to be in the top of reliabilty tables. Promise them you'll buy another Nissan to get it sorted and then 'change your mind' and not by another.....

I live in France but would never have a French car. The older ones here seem to go on for ever but the newer ones always seem to have electrical issues and it is generally dry here. I think they get people in and the French car makes look jazzy and interesting for not as much as other makes. Two years down the line they seem to be not so good. Still the French keep on buying French makes -

I didn't know the Nissan French tie up but it seems to be a bad thing.

Moving on to your list of next cars. You have some models mentioned and then say a Skoda Kodiaq (If I can afford it). Were the others on your list 2nd hand choices as the Audi A6 would be more than a Kodiaq.

If looking at an A6 the updated model comes out next year so you'll get a good deal on run-out/used A6 Ultra diesels.

I liked the look of the new Skoda Karoq - on a much cheaper budget. It is well equipped and I was evern going to go look at one. Then I found there will be no petrol 4X4 (as of yet). Still it does look not too bad - worth looking at anyway?

My father bought a Huyndai Tuscson. He bought the 2L diesel auto 4X4. It drives okay but nothing exciting at all. Handling predicatable. Fuel consumption isn't great. The interior plastics are stutrdy enough but don't look special. It has a GPS but I think it is way dated. No start/stop or electronic handbrake or radar controlled cruise control option - a bit behind the times then. Comfort in the back was good. So far he has had no issues. He paid £27K after discounts and I think that is too much for what the car offers. He likes it though.

You certainly have a wide range of models and makes on your list.

I have just ordered a new A4 Allroad. If the budget doesn't stretch a good 2nd hand Allroad model might tick the boxes?

Good luck with your issues and hope you get back to motoring Nirvana soon....

Regards, Mark

0 1 0

4. Re: Evening all - is it safe to return to the fold? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks

I've never had a good French car, and always ended up heading back to VW - it is kinda looking like history will be repeating itself in some form or other.

Things went a stage further today - the car wouldn't start this morning, so I called Nissan Assist (RAC) who came out and jump started the car and tested the battery. The battery tested fine, as did the charging system yet it had ran sufficiently flat over the weekend not to start - hmmmmmm..........

RAC guy reckoned that these modern EFB batteries, coupled to the so called 'intelligent' charging systems on these stop/start cars, needed the batteries to be trickle charged on a fairly regular basis. He suggested I get a C-Tek charger at about £70 or so, and trickle charge it quite regularly - does this sound right? He also said that the battery would never recharge just by driving the car - the charge circuit only puts in what it wants to put in, and then switches off - sounds a bit odd to me.

I have just ordered a Ring Smart Charger from Argos, rather than wait for the C-Tek one to arrive - I can pick this one up on the way home, and have it plugged in overnight tonight (so that will give it a good 12-14 hours) - I still have that horrible feeling that I am going to end up paying out for a battery on this one. Time will tell I suppose.

I generally start off with quite a lengthy list, and whittle it down over a period of months - that way, I don't feel as though I have bought something on a whim, and hopefully up the odds of getting the right car. I do like the look of the Kodiaq, I must admit - although, Crasher's suggestion also looks like a nice package. Past experience with Skoda dealers has always been positive too

Lang may yer lum reek!

Current: '09 Audi A4 Avant SE TDI (143)
    Previous: '56 VW Passat 2.0TDI SE - I survived 'BKP' ownership!

0 0 0

5. Re: Evening all - is it safe to return to the fold? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    308 Post(s)
    I think the first Renault Nissan love child was the unpopular and odd looking Nissan Primera P12 .

0 1 0

6. Re: Evening all - is it safe to return to the fold? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    'Love child'

I got one of those smart chargers on the way home - so much smaller than the old things I remember from the past that used to sit and hum away as the battery bubbled gently....

Here is a screenshot of the RAC guys report - couple of bits that I don't quite understand...... firstly the Rating of battery tested versus the Measured rating - why would they be different? And then the bit in the blue box - State of health 8%? Not that I have a clue what it is referring to, if my doctor told me my state of health was 8%, I wouldn't be to comfortable!

battery diagnostics.jpg

Lang may yer lum reek!

Current: '09 Audi A4 Avant SE TDI (143)
    Previous: '56 VW Passat 2.0TDI SE - I survived 'BKP' ownership!

0 0 0

7. Re: Evening all - is it safe to return to the fold? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    108 Post(s)
    Nope, sorry, splinters! Too dangerous.
    Quote "My tuner told me after he fitted the box that 0-60 should be around 2.6 seconds! "

0 0 0

8. Re: Evening all - is it safe to return to the fold? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    What about having a ban on the supply of air to these environmental clowns that pass themselves off as experts?

0 0 0

9. Re: Evening all - is it safe to return to the fold? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I had an Xtrail on lease and thought it was a good car, never any problems except cheap paint and lots of stone chips. But it went back at 3 years old so decided to by an Audi or Mercedes, the Jag gets bad reviews for poor quality build so I went for the A6 Quattro BLack edition. Had it about 6 weeks now and love it.
    As for diesel being dead on its legs, it is not going any where in the near future so had no qualms in purchasing one. VAG and Bosch are already working on emission fixes, real ones not fake ones.
    I saw the goverment last week announced all new cars from 2040 must be cable of travelling 50 miles on battery, bit of come down from stating no fossel fuel cars from same year.

0 0 0

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12