Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Cambelt change and torsion Value..help needed?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Cambelt change and torsion Value..help needed? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Our A3 high specced 1.9tdi sport 100 bhp of six years is to be replaced..thinking it would continue as a good car for somebody I did a few jobs including axle beam bushes and cambelt. Soon after my wife commented it is smoking and indeed it does when revved....blows soot patches on the ground and that unburned diesel smell. It could be bad luck and we have injector woes etc but I have heard even with careful use of locking tools etc the cam needs timing..torsion value, using VAG COM or the like.

I thought this worth exploring before expensive or terminal issues!

I am surrey hants border, does anybody know of anywhere with the diagnostics to check this setting for me?

I am tempted to buy it myself but would like to see it in action not being very good with car computers! points are more my thing

0 0 0

2. Re: Cambelt change and torsion Value..help needed? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi!

For starters it is normal for diesel to smoke when revved. Even if diesel is in excellent condition it will smoke anyway when revved. If it has been driven peacufully all the time, exhaust tends to get cluttered with soot. Sometimes it is possible to get rid of too much soot just by simply cleaning the exhaust with water. Also, I would suggest to change air filter, if it hasn't been done. It's very important for diesel to have clean air filter. I would check out these things before starting to blame excessive soot on something more serious.

0 0 0

3. Re: Cambelt change and torsion Value..help needed? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    104 Post(s)
    Is it a VE ( rotary injection pump ) or PD engine ? Thinking if its an 8L must be late 90's early 00's car, with an early PD if fitted ?

0 0 0

4. Re: Cambelt change and torsion Value..help needed? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Hi and thanks for your interest. Yes I know they smoke...but it smokes heck of a lot worse than it used to..accelerate and it leaves a good smoke trail far worse than it ever did in the past.

I have checked basic trouble codes with my scanner..its clear.
    I have changed air filter and even briefly checked it with no filter.
    I have run two bottles of injector cleaner through it and given it a decent thrash..it has plenty of long hard runs though and is not a slow town car.
    I cleaned out the EGR.

I am of the mind it is not right....too smoky by far, too sooty and can smell unburnt fuel in exhaust. We have had it 6 years and done over 80K miles in it so know it quite well.

0 0 0

5. Re: Cambelt change and torsion Value..help needed? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob69 View Post
    Is it a VE ( rotary injection pump ) or PD engine ? Thinking if its an 8L must be late 90's early 00's car, with an early PD if fitted ?
    Hi, thanks, it is a 2002 1.9tdi. I belieive its the PD engine. Injectors under cam cover and I did the loom on it when that let go!

ATD code, 100bhp

you will see I answered the other helper with some things I have done/checked.

I thought injector problem before the idea of potential issue after the cambelt change... it was soon after that was done with the correct locking tools that my wife said it smoked rather bad pulling away and accelerating. Being honest she may not have noticed for a while, why would she so it could have been immediately after the belt change it happened! It was not before though, I had given it a good run and check over.

Thanks again.

0 0 0

6. Re: Cambelt change and torsion Value..help needed? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    35 Post(s)
    What is the colour of the smoke?

Have you checked that all the vac pipes and air pipes and inter-cooler hoses are securely fitted and not loose?

Does it pull well in all gears?

Have you tried unplugging the maf to see if any reduction in smoke ?
    eye for an eye means the whole world goes blind

0 0 0

7. Re: Cambelt change and torsion Value..help needed? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    dark smoke...not that scary blue oil smog lol!.
    Have looked round pipes and cant see anything amiss...only the breather pipe off cam cover split so it taped up protem.
    It pulls well all gears.drives fine mostly, only if you labour it being lazy when perhaps a gear drop would be better up an incline say it can sometimes judder a bit which it did not do before.
    I will try unplugging MAF....I think I did that when playing with air filter and putting some cleaner up everything but forget now! MAF is reading and fluctuating as expected on my live data on the mickey mouse scanner i have.

0 0 0

8. Re: Cambelt change and torsion Value..help needed? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    35 Post(s)
    yes run it with out the maf plugged in see if the smoke is still there
    eye for an eye means the whole world goes blind

0 0 0

9. Re: Cambelt change and torsion Value..help needed? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    I will try that next, no MAF connection.....on a long enough run to warm it up good.

0 0 0

10. Re: Cambelt change and torsion Value..help needed? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    104 Post(s)
    what sort of cleaner did you put up everything and did it go up the MAF sensor?

0 0 0

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast