Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Hi Guys,

Hitting my head against a wall with an EGR issue on my 1.9TDI 4 Motion with an AVF Engine. It all seemed to start with a refill of fuel from a certain supermarket but I've emptied it all and refilled with no improvement. VCDS tells me nothing. No error codes. I'm finding that at light-med throttle loads between about 1700 and 2500 RMP I get some hesitation and a considerable amount of smoke. Flooring it clears the smoke. Through substitution with my daughters car I've eliminated the N18 valve. The wiring to the N18 is solid. All the Vacuum hoses are sound - tested with a hand pump. I've reluctantly just put a new EGR on it to no avail. If I disconnect the EGR vacuum hose it runs perfectly but after 20 odd miles I get an emissions workshop light.

I've put a vacuum gauge in parallel with the valve and watched it whilst driving and the gauge is very erratic whilst this hesitation is going on. Something is clearly telling the N18 what to do and it isn't good.

I've done the VCDS 3rd gear acceleration tests to check the MAF sensor/ boost pressures actual-versus-expected and all look good.

I'm sure there are a bunch of you thinking "delete the EGR" but a) I'm not sure how you'd do that without getting the emissions workshop warning and b) I hate to let things like this beat me.

Anyone have any experience in this area? Id love to hear from you. Car has 210K miles on it, pulls like a train and uses no oil. I put 170 K of those on it and apart from a split turbo outlet pipe split I've never had any engine woes until now.

Suggestions gratefully received.

0 0 0

2. Re: EGR Woes 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    104 Post(s)
    Can you check the O2 probe output with VCDS - just thinking that must feedback to the ECU and operate the N18 / /EGR to regulate NOX.
    Last edited by Rob69; 24-09-2017 at 12:52 PM. Reason: O2!

0 0 0

3. Re: EGR Woes 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Yes I could check that, but what am I looking for and under what conditions?

I had a Lambda probe fail on my other daughters 1.6 petrol Bora and it gave me a distinct error code but no codes on this car. If you could advise what to look for under what conditions to highlight a problem that would help. I feel such a problem would show itself under all circumstances though, not just in light to moderate accelerations?

I just read up on the EGR delete options and have altered ch3 in adaptations to the maximum allowable 33768 (was 32768) with the vacuum line still attached and valve intact, no blanking plates etc. It may be just a tad better but it's certainly still there.

0 0 0

4. Re: EGR Woes 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    104 Post(s)
    Have a look at this EGR duty cycle info, maybe you've already seen it? I've just googled it over a cup of tea at work, VCDS AND PD TDI ENGINE HEALTH CHECK - PASSAT
    I think the mid range speed and load you get the problem at is the point that EGR valve is admitting gas into the intake, at full throttle or idle the EGR is closed off. My thinking is that the O2 sensor is giving bad reading back to the ECU about O2 levels and the ECU /N18 / EGR are all over the place during this part load, light acceleration running.
    I don't know what other checks can be done to the O2 sensor, AFAIK it is not functioning like a 'Lambda' sensor on petrol engine, it is measuring O2 levels in the exhaust and trying to reduce them (and NOX) by adding exhaust at certain load conditions, and in a petrol it tries to maintain correct fuel trims, stoichiometric fuel air ratio, or 0% Lambda

0 0 0

5. Re: EGR Woes 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks. The thought did cross my mind about the o2 probe (Still referred to in ETKA at least as a Lambda probe for the diesel) being used for feedback but wasn't sure if an O2 probe would be able to give closed loop control for NOX or just O2. I guess it's the only sensor that has a chance of such a task though, That said, going back to ETKA, I see lots of probes listed for various petrols and diesels, but not one for the AVF engine fitted to my motor. That and the fact that no motor factors seem to list one for it makes me wonder if it even has one? If it doesn't then what else could be having an influence? The EGR rate could simply be mapped against throttle position, MAF and MAP, but if that were the case it would never know when someone disabled the valve, whereas mine does. After about 25 miles of running disconnected I get an emissions workshop warning. More and more curious. More checking needed, but thanks for your input thus far.

0 0 0

6. Re: EGR Woes 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    104 Post(s)
    So can you physically see a sensor near the CAT, pretty sure my 2005 1.9 AWX has one (from memory)

0 0 0

7. Re: EGR Woes 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    No I don't see anything pre cat. She's just been run so too hot to feel around just yet. Would it need to be pre cat? Don't have time for up on ramps again today so pre cat is as far as I can look for now once she's cooled a bit.. I've seen a write up on the net for someone changing one on a bhw engine but I don't see a probe where his image shows it or any connector in the receptacle on the bulkhead where his is. Given the problems locating on at ECP or GSF and the fact ETKA doesn't seem to list one (though I'm no ETKA expert) I think I'm going to say it doesn't have one. So... if it doesn't have one, how the heck does it control valve N18 proportionally?

Stumped!

0 0 0

8. Re: EGR Woes 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    104 Post(s)
    You and me both !!

0 0 0

9. Re: EGR Woes 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    104 Post(s)
    Been thinking about this one a bit more tonight and wracking my brain to think if my 2005 B5.5 1.9 AWX passat has a O2 sensor, I'm doubting it has now and I can't get to the car to check. As far as I can tell my engine is a Euro 3 emmissions standard and it seems to have open loop EGR control, with no O2 sensor. Like you said earlier, I can only think it regulates EGR flow by measuring intake MAF, MAP and opening the EGR based on the ECU map, throttle position etc, with no feedback. The EML light would ( or could ?) be thrown on by the ECU not seeing the expected intake MAF due to the EGR not being open at the correct or expected time.
    That doesn't help you much - anyone else know any more?

0 0 0

10. Re: EGR Woes 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    I happened upon a post on a VW forum that sounded exactly my problem. That guy started suspecting his coolant temperature gauge, then his MAF and finally cured it by finding a tiny split in his post turbo pressure hose. I myself has a split hose some years back but when that happened I had power loss and a whooshing noise under boost. I'm not going to rule it out though. I've since read that many cars do indeed look for a drop in MAF whilst the EGR is open and that is how it measures the EGR rate. Bit crude but obviously worked. Thing is though, if I'm loosing a fraction of my air out the boost pipe, then surely that would be measured as an increase in MAF which would have the opposite effect on what would be sensed when adding exhaust gas to the intake as that would cause a reduction in flow by displacing some fresh air.

Anyhow my next plan is to seal up the pipe from the turbo to the EGR valve and put a little pressure in it with a hand pump and see if it holds. If it doesn't, then maybe, just maybe that might be it. If not then a MAF sensor clean and if not that a new MAF sensor?

I thought cars were meant to self diagnose after Y2K. Clearly some holes in that if you'll excuse the pun. I'm surprised that nobody else has pitched in with ideas. There are thousands of these engines out there and I'm sure someone has seen this before.

Cheers

Dave

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast