1. Re: EGR Woes 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    104 Post(s)
    I'm thinking back to a 2004 1.9 tdi touran we had a few years ago, which had a BKC engine IIRC, and I think that was a Euro 4 emmissions standard engine which had an electric modulating intake throttle flap upstream of the vacuum operated EGR valve to create a manifold depression at lower loads and draw in exhaust, assisting the EGR, that must surely have had an exhaust O2 sensor (???) , where as my current Euro 3 2005 AWX passat 1.9 sounds like it has the same EGR system as yours ie. open loop, non O2 sensor. Your leaking boost air pipe would have the effect of increasing air flow over the MAF but I would have thought it would have to be a pretty big leak and noticeable to be impacting on the EGR rates and as you say, the MAF would see a reduced air flow when the EGR opens.
    Post up what you find!!

0 0 0

2. Re: EGR Woes 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Sure to Rob. Unlike my EGR system, I'm definitely keen to close loops and feed back!

As you can tell I like to maintain my own motors - I own a nice 1989 XR4x4 Sierra that I've owned for 28 years. It has 110k on it - about 1/3 through it's lifespan mechanically and lives in a heated garage. Needs to as its from that era of rust protection!

I've also just bought a lovely, nearly new Audi A6 C7 3.0 BiTdi. That's going to stretch me technically in a few years. Sooooo much to go wrong, but hopefully VAG have learned along the way and improved on reliability.

Thanks for chipping in and I'll be sure to post results, good or bad.

Dave

0 1 0

3. Re: EGR Woes 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    The results are in. I looked into cleaning the MAF sensor but it was pointless. It was spotless after 210K miles! I made up a blanking plug for the EGR connection and an adapter to allow me to feed air at 10psi into the port that connects to the turbo outlet. This instantly revealed a tiny split on the hose feeding the intercooler. I removed that, cleaned it up and bandaged it with duct tape and Voila! no more hesitation. Great news. I still don't quite understand why this didn't show up on the 3rd gear full throttle acceleration tests, but I'm so pleased to finally nail it. Unlike my previous hose issue on the turbo connection hose, this was undetectable by ear.

I have ordered a replacement for that hose and pre-empted the intercooler outlet hose failure by buying one of those too. Hopefully that will be the end of boost issues for another 200K.

Case closed.

PS anyone want an almost new EGR valve for an AVF engine...

I guess I'll just leave it on there now.

0 0 0

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12