Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    Hi guys,

So I've got 2013 A6 3.0 TDI SE and it had HUD installed as option. But it seems that there is an issue with it, image on the windshield looks like crazed/misted. At beginning I thought it's just a condensation, but actually HUD got some flaking on it's internal mirror. What options do I have to sort it out?

- Is it possible to remove HUD, repair flaked mirror and install it back again? How difficult is it to do (need to remove windshield as well I guess)?
    - There are some used HUD units for sale on eBay (part number 4G8 919 604), maybe it's better to get one of them and replace the whole HUD? Do I need to look for some particular part revision (last letter after 4G8 919 604), as I have UK right hand car, maybe HUDs from left hand cars are different?

Thanks in advance!

0 0 0

2. Re: Replacing Head Up Display 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mReen View Post
    Hi guys,

So I've got 2013 A6 3.0 TDI SE and it had HUD installed as option. But it seems that there is an issue with it, image on the windshield looks like crazed/misted. At beginning I thought it's just a condensation, but actually HUD got some flaking on it's internal mirror. What options do I have to sort it out?

- Is it possible to remove HUD, repair flaked mirror and install it back again? How difficult is it to do (need to remove windshield as well I guess)?
    - There are some used HUD units for sale on eBay (part number 4G8 919 604), maybe it's better to get one of them and replace the whole HUD? Do I need to look for some particular part revision (last letter after 4G8 919 604), as I have UK right hand car, maybe HUDs from left hand cars are different?

Thanks in advance!
    There's a thread on the A7 forum regarding this very issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 0 0

3. Re: Replacing Head Up Display 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    From A7 forum I've found that to remove/replace HUD unit you need to take off windshield.

Now... Was checking different part numbers, and found this info - 4G0919604H/J/L are HUD units for A6 C7 (4G2) RHD (H/J/L are different revisions?), and 4G0919604N is for 2015 facelift A6. Exactly the same for A7 HUD units - 4G8919604H/J/L and 4G8919604N for facelift. So, two questions - will A7 HUD unit (4G8919604) work with A6, maybe it requires some coding? And will facelift unit (N) work in pre-facelift A6?

Any help?..

0 0 0

4. Re: Replacing Head Up Display 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    98 Post(s)
    No, A7 units do not fit the A6 model; different dash & trim. Not sure if the facelft will work with pre facelift due to the newer mmi system.

The small mirror CAN be removed from the unit with the HUD in situ. I have done it. Its tedious and you need the correct tools
    RS6 Performance Ascari Blue, Carbon Ceramics Brakes and lots more.
    A6 BiTdi Avant MTM
    Retrofitted: Full Led Headlights, DAB, Full Electric Seats, Surround View Cameras, Genuine RS6 Grille, RS6 Seats,Leather Door Armrests, Soft Close Doors, Rear Side Blinds,High Beam Assist, Eibach Springs, Led Roof Console, 4 Zone Climate, Rear Heated Seats, Head Up Display, Side assist, Alcantara Interior Retrim

0 0 0

5. Re: Replacing Head Up Display 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    morski, could you elaborate on the matter of removing the mirror in situ? Or better yet if you happened to take pictures of the process?
    Are there any hidden fasteners etc. that one should be aware of when removing the mirror? Or any special tools that would be required?

My mirror is flaked as well and I'm about to get it re-coated once I get it out of the car. At the moment the HUD is practically unusable.
    Thanks!

0 0 0

6. Re: Replacing Head Up Display 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    So I actually tried removing the mirror and turns out it's fairly easy without taking the windshield off. Here's some tips in case someone is seeking information on how to do this.

Only a few tools needed: Plastic trim prying tool, T-20 torx key (might need a couple different ones, one needs a reach of 60-80mm or so to reach one of the screws). An angled spike tool will help loosening plastic clips that the second plastic trim underneath the top one is attached with. A magnet of magnetic torx head is quite good to have to help lifting the srews after loosening them. There is hardly any room to reach all of the screws with your fingers.

1) The top plastic trim pops off when pulled straight up (a trim removal tool helps here) and then pulled towards the steering wheel.
    2) The second trim piece beneath is attached with 8 clips. These need to be loosened sort of one by one while pulling the trim piece upwards.
    3) On the left side of HUD there is a connector that can be easily removed by pressing on the top with a small spike and pullind towards the front of the car.
    4) There are 4 T-20 torx screws holding the next piece, one in each corner. When these are removed the piece with the concave plastic screen can be lifted up. I didn't manage to take this completely off since it sits very close to the moving mirror in the HUD, but doesn't matter, just lifting the rear is enough.
    5) Taping this plastic part temporarily to the windshield helps when removing the mirror.
    6) The static mirror can now be seen in underneath on the steering wheel side of the HUD. This is held by 2 black T-20 torx screws. When these are removed the mirror can be lifted off with some wiggling.

Hope this helps somebody

0 2 0

7. Re: Replacing Head Up Display 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JariYliJ View Post
    So I actually tried removing the mirror and turns out it's fairly easy without taking the windshield off. Here's some tips in case someone is seeking information on how to do this.

Only a few tools needed: Plastic trim prying tool, T-20 torx key (might need a couple different ones, one needs a reach of 60-80mm or so to reach one of the screws). An angled spike tool will help loosening plastic clips that the second plastic trim underneath the top one is attached with. A magnet of magnetic torx head is quite good to have to help lifting the srews after loosening them. There is hardly any room to reach all of the screws with your fingers.

1) The top plastic trim pops off when pulled straight up (a trim removal tool helps here) and then pulled towards the steering wheel.
    2) The second trim piece beneath is attached with 8 clips. These need to be loosened sort of one by one while pulling the trim piece upwards.
    3) On the left side of HUD there is a connector that can be easily removed by pressing on the top with a small spike and pullind towards the front of the car.
    4) There are 4 T-20 torx screws holding the next piece, one in each corner. When these are removed the piece with the concave plastic screen can be lifted up. I didn't manage to take this completely off since it sits very close to the moving mirror in the HUD, but doesn't matter, just lifting the rear is enough.
    5) Taping this plastic part temporarily to the windshield helps when removing the mirror.
    6) The static mirror can now be seen in underneath on the steering wheel side of the HUD. This is held by 2 black T-20 torx screws. When these are removed the mirror can be lifted off with some wiggling.

Hope this helps somebody
    Hey mate, you are my hero Was looking for this info everywhere!

It seems that there are 2 mirrors - one static and one moving (found some images on the manufacturer website - Continental). Which of them has this flaking issue? And what did you do with mirror - resilvered it, or got a spare one from another donor HUD unit (that's what I'm planning to do)? How easy was it to install mirror back, do you have enough room to work with it (as you didn't remove the W/S)? Any pics by chance?

Regards

0 0 0

8. Re: Replacing Head Up Display 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Haha thanks, yeah I had the same problem, couldn't find any proper info and that's why I decided to post my findings.

The problematic mirror is the static one, not the adjustable one (luckily, since the adjustable one is way bigger and seems quite impossible to remove without taking the windshield off). My understanding is that nearly every time it's the static mirror that starts to fail.

I am in the process of looking for a company to do the recoating, since the mirror itself seems like a perfectly good part, just the coating is messed up. I just received an e-mail from a company in the UK that has a lot of experience with these HUD mirrors. They said they could do the recoating for £280, and that the steep price is due to multiple coatings required. Haven't decided yet what to do with it.

There is not too much space but if you have tools that have a torx key with a magnetic head (or use something sticky like tape) so that you don't drop any screws inside the dash then I don't see any problems with the project (I actually ended up using chewing gum on the torx head to keep the removed screw from falling haha). It took me 1½ hours to remove the mirror and putting it back shouldn't take more than an hour I recon. I've attached some pictures that should help taking the thing apart.

1.jpg
    Picture 1: First cover trim.

2.jpg
    Picture 2: Second cover trim.

3.jpg
    Picture 3: Screws 1&2 and connector.

4.jpg
    Picture 4: Screws 3&4.

5.jpg
    Picture 5: Front view, mirror removed. The mirror was located on the right hand side in front of the small lcd display window that can be seen in the bottom.

6.jpg
    Picture 6: Mirror screw locations.

Best regards
    -J
    Attached Images

0 1 0

9. Re: Replacing Head Up Display 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    £280 for recoating? Seems too much to me... I see you are from Finland, don't you have someone who could do it locally? Or, if I were you, I would use some company from Estonia or even St Petersburg, they might do it much cheaper (I've found some companies that do mirrors/glass in SPB). Anyway, what company did you find in the UK for recoating?

Also, what do you think, is this mirror the same for RHD/LHD cars? I'm planning to get some used HUD unit, take out it's mirror, and do some training to disassemble it before touching my car, but it's very hard to find RHD unit (for UK car), so I was thinking to get LHD unit. Positive thing in getting spare HUD for me is that I would have the car on the road same day (just need to replace mirror in my car, as I will have mirror ready, will not need to send it for recoating), and I'll have spare stuff for future, just in case.

P.S.
    I see you have silver flakes all around the unit, just like I do... Did you try to clean them up, maybe vacuum cleaner?

0 0 0

10. Re: Replacing Head Up Display 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Yeah I have contacted a Finnish company that might be able to do the recoating, but at the moment I'm just looking at all the options. Mailing to UK and back is quite cheap after all so if I get a better price there it's probably well worth it.

Personally I wouldn't bother with getting a second HUD unit, pretty much the only thing you can mess upp is to drop the screws into the dash, it's quite difficult to otherwise break anything. Only other thing I could think of are the fastening clips in the second top trim piece, those can break if bent too much. And the car is still perfectly drivable without the mirror in place, so I decided to just keep it that way until I get the mirror fixed and have time to re-install it.

I'm not sure but I think the mirrors are different for RHD and LHD cars, since it seems to me that the convex plane of the mirror doesn't have a fixed radius of circumference, but instead it appears to slightly change on the mirror surface. Also, the vertical sides have different angles on the left and right sides of the mirror. I believe the whole HUD unit in a RHD car is a mirror image of a LHD car unit, not just the outer parts.

I didn't try cleaning the flakes yet, but they come off the mirror really easily so I suppose I can just use a damp cloth or something to clean them from inside the HUD. They don't seem to be too sticky.
    Attached Images

0 0 0

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast