Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    69 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve8274 View Post
    hi
    i am new to the forum after joining for this exact repair. I have searched the site for a7 forum so i could find the company but I am unable to find the info. I apologise if it’s obvious, I’m not that good on forums. Would it be possible to put a link or tell me the name.
    regards
    steve
    Here's the link: HUD Repair - Page 2

Cheers!

MF.
    Gone: 2016 A6 Saloon BE Ultra S tronic - Floret Silver, Tech Pack Advanced, Parking Pack Advanced, Heated F+R Seats & Wheel, Electric Seats, Matrix LED, Ambient Lighting, Speed Limit Display, Twin Spoke 20", Folding Memory Mirrors
    Now: E 53 AMG 4MATIC
    / Q5 2.0TFSi Prestige

0 0 0

2. Re: Replacing Head Up Display 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Many thanks. I will give them a call. I’m still a little dubious about doing it. My other option is, I noticed someone on eBay local to me who will do it all for £199.
    i might try first then if I can’t do it or it feels uncomfortable, I might contact them.
    thanks again

0 0 0

3. Re: Replacing Head Up Display 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Hi there :-)
    I'm desperate to finish this mirror replacement.
    How did you manage to remove the second trim piece from the top?
    Mine is way to close to the windshield, did you remove the top trim on the dash as well ?
    If so, did you have to remove the A pillar trim as well ?

Best Regards Kim

gaardvik@gmail.com

0 0 0

4. Re: Replacing Head Up Display 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Nope, none of that is required. It does seem from the picture 2 of my post on the first page of the thread that the clips closest to windscreen are impossible to reach, but they don't actually need to be unfastened. If you can get the six others, the cover comes off easily. The two near the windscreen don't have the same kind of tabs than the others do.

While you pop the clips open, you have to push the cover upwards after each one of them, so that they don't snap back in. Start from the ones closest to the steering wheel and work your way around. This is the sort of tool I used: The Best Pick and Hook Set in 2019 for Precision Work | Garage Tool Advisor

0 0 0

5. Re: Replacing Head Up Display 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Thank you Jari!.
    I actually had it all apart, but did not dare to pull it off, due to the two tabs, closest to the window.
    I will have another go at it tomorrow then :-)
    It feels really bad, and seems to be missing 15-20 mm gap to come off.

0 0 0

6. Re: Replacing Head Up Display 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Hi there
    Got the screws out, ready to lift!
    Then I saw this:

"When screws are removed, don't lift the cover yet, you need to remove data cable and foam gasket. To remove cable, loosen it's top clip (I was using the same spike tool) and pop it out (it has just one clip). Then remove foam gasket, slowly and gently detaching sticky layer from plastic (otherwise you might tear it).
    Is that the upper plastic cover you are talking about?
    Do I need to remove that, and if so, why did you not do that prior to taking out the screws ? :-)

Kim

0 0 0

7. Re: Replacing Head Up Display 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Small update,
    Got it out. good idea with T15 for the one screw holding the mirror.
    For all the others I had some super strong magnets with a string attached, and put those underneath the screws, so if the fell down, and they did, the magnets would hold them.
    Broke part of the second trim off, will have to see if it exist as a part, if not some sort of hardening plastic gel will have to do.
    Will reach out to Vaccum Coatings tomorrow, and schedule the shipment there.
    I assume they would like to have it with the rest of the mirroring left, so they can see what's needed.

Thank you to all who contributed to this thread.
    Kim
    Attached Images

0 0 0

8. Re: Replacing Head Up Display 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    98 Post(s)
    That part is not available separately so you will need to glue it. Dont take the coating off the mirror as they need it as it is so they can clean it.
    RS6 Performance Ascari Blue, Carbon Ceramics Brakes and lots more.
    A6 BiTdi Avant MTM
    Retrofitted: Full Led Headlights, DAB, Full Electric Seats, Surround View Cameras, Genuine RS6 Grille, RS6 Seats,Leather Door Armrests, Soft Close Doors, Rear Side Blinds,High Beam Assist, Eibach Springs, Led Roof Console, 4 Zone Climate, Rear Heated Seats, Head Up Display, Side assist, Alcantara Interior Retrim

0 0 0

9. Re: Replacing Head Up Display 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Ok, I’ll keep the coating on, will call them tomorrow.
    Worried that gluing it will come off when trying to putt it back on. Maybe take of the “tab”, and only keep the flat surface.

0 0 0

10. Re: Replacing Head Up Display 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    108 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by soft View Post
    Ok, I’ll keep the coating on, will call them tomorrow.
    Worried that gluing it will come off when trying to putt it back on. Maybe take of the “tab”, and only keep the flat surface.
    I might be tempted to glue it first then use some fine fibreglass matting and resin to give some strength.
    Quote "My tuner told me after he fitted the box that 0-60 should be around 2.6 seconds! "

0 0 0

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast