Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bops6 View Post
    My14 plate is 245 standard, I'll be getting mrc to remap it so expect 290-300, maybe minor exhaust work to liberate the noise more like the old C6

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Will be really interesting to see the output. Please post!
    RIP my trusty Passat 2003 V6 4Motion Estate (BRC LPG) you served me well until I let you down and crunched you.

0 0 0

2. Re: Q7 3.0 TDI Economy Remap 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    308 Post(s)
    "The peak in the torque was much more pronounced before any remapping was done. This has now been smoothed out somewhat. Green line is before, red line is after.

I strongly recommend only using a tuner who invested in a rolling road. Anyone who believes the perfect torque charts that are sometimes published are deluding themselves. My car is a 2012 245 hp model with 71K miles. Look how much power it lost from new."

I'm affaid you are incorrect limecc.

All Q7 3.0 TDI 245 .

Probably the dpf saping power along with mpg .

Smoothing of the torque curve can be done .

For instance two remaps of the same type 1.9 PD 130 .

The fact remains , you had a bad stock map as stock maps often are , and now you have a bad remap .

0 0 0

3. Re: Q7 3.0 TDI Economy Remap 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazwould View Post

Smoothing of the torque curve can be done .
    For instance two remaps of the same type 1.9 PD 130 .

Am I mistaken but isn't the 1.9 PD 'smooth' torque curve flat at about 260 ft/lbs while the peaky one is much higher at about 345 ft/lbs? I would consider this to be a backward step if smoothing meant losing so much (25%) of it. Also there is no 'before' figures because both are showing approx. 180 hp where 130 hp is standard.

The other charts are very interesting (thanks!) but require normalizing - either way metric or imperial and have the vertical HP axis on the same side for them to be easily comparable (I might actually take the time to do this). Also we have no idea about the injector hours, outside air pressure and humidity or if supermarket or performance diesel is used. Therefore we can't compare between charts only compare the before and after in the same chart. Maybe the brand of dyno has an influence, take a look at my S-Max Duratorq 140 PS chart which was quite low miles so no DPF issues there. The dyno calibration estimates the drivetrain losses to give a flywheel readout? Incidentally the S-Max 'hole' after peak torque is largely removed yet all the figures are higher than stock.

P.S. This was another economy remap not an outright power remap.
    PPS. I'm not sure your statement is accurate that I had a bad stock map. It is the baseline standard map for my engine and year of car. Maybe there is a problem somewhere else - I don't know. Ideally the 'before' figures on all the charts should look the same because they will all have the same stock map that I had.
    Attached Images
    RIP my trusty Passat 2003 V6 4Motion Estate (BRC LPG) you served me well until I let you down and crunched you.

0 0 0

4. Re: Q7 3.0 TDI Economy Remap 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    308 Post(s)
    Wow that S max stock map is even more shocking , like I said stock maps on any car are far from ideal .
    The end result eco map is not what I'd pay for but given that it sorted the hole on the 2650 rpm horsepower and reduced the mammoth torque spike
    ( I'm not sure I'd ever seen one so bad ) .

Torque spikes are where a load of fuel is dumped in great for peak torque but it's aggressive on the clutch, tyres and drive train .

It's best that it's as smooth as possible with a broad linear flat spread throughout the rev range , not always possible but highly desirable .

This is why a tuning box must be avoided it piggybacks the std map and does not modify any of the curves and will exaggerate and make worse any peaks .

Back to the 1.9 tdi PD remaps , the 340 ftlb Darkside Developments is a total clutch killer , strangely they are in the business of selling uprated clutches !

The 265 ftlb is mine and a UPsolute of Austria , whilst it doesn't appear on their website it is used widely as it's known as the clutch saving / friendly remap , as north of 280 ftlb can end a used clutch and looking at the flat broad spread of torque measured on a Dyno Dynamics is a work of art , genius , as good as it gets . The torque delivery is so smooth it's less stress on the clutch than the stock map ( AVF engine ).

Whilst it is only 265ftlb it will still have 250 ftlb in the later rev range where the regular 270 - 295 ftlb remap is on the down from 2750rpm mine does not loose torque till 3600 rpm .

Considering mine was applied by a mobile remapper it shows what can be done and the quality of the map is down to the author not wether they have a rolling road or not , however a dyno is a most valuable tool .

AWX engine so a little less and smoother stock torque than AVF

My experience of eco maps is they don't always gain mpg a Megane 1.5 dci didn't , seems to be a selling point like K&N power increase , however in alot of applications they won't .

Removing a dpf and egr always gets a mpg gain .

I can see why you are sceptical about the too perfect fabricated smooth lines often attached to remapping companies , some possibly are retouched but I promise you a drastic realistic improvement can be made on your S max and Q7 remaps .

0 0 0

5. Re: Q7 3.0 TDI Economy Remap 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazwould View Post
    Considering mine was applied by a mobile remapper it shows what can be done and the quality of the map is down to the author not wether they have a rolling road or not , however a dyno is a most valuable tool .
    Good points but..
    How do you know what you are getting from a mobile remapper? You have some big assumptions about your own car's power delivery and is the torque curve really that flat? It might feel that way but you don't know.
    A remap on a rolling road doesn't actually cost any more money does it? Mine were £330 and £350 inc VAT respectively.

0 0 0

6. Re: Q7 3.0 TDI Economy Remap 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    308 Post(s)
    The map was chosen because of it's multiple customer forum member praise on a Passat forum , it cost £199 + 25 for his fuel , big round trip from Chesterfield .

The car was not dynoed till 8 months after at a car club dyno day , but I knew it was exceptional because the remap cured the slight clutch slip I used to have when prevoked ( this would be a torque spike typical of the AVF PD ) , there we have it , a remap curing a mechanical problem !

That's my super flat torque dyno print out alright , which is also Dyno Dynamics rolling road .

0 0 0

7. Re: Q7 3.0 TDI Economy Remap 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Glad that with the big Q we don't have to worry about clutch slip or wheelspin. Neither that the transmission is overloaded because it was designed for the 1000 NM of the V12 therefore lots of safety margin.
    I do intend to get an oil and filter change at 75K even though the box is supposedly sealed-for-life.

0 0 0

8. Re: Q7 3.0 TDI Economy Remap 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    308 Post(s)
    Good idea .

0 0 0

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12