Hi Guys/Gals,

Car is 1997 not 1993 error in typing sorry.

First off i will admit i am no major mechanic i can take things apart and replace them working but no ideas any much else really just things picked up working on cars with my father.

Having some major issues at the moment with my gti. I will put what happened and how before i post my issues so theres abit of detail to my problem.

Right so Basically i was being a tool had a pride issue with a 1.4 civic overtaking me (he got right up behind for a good 3 mile then i let him go round me and once i noticed his car power and all that rubbish that civics are i decided im not having any of it) so i went past him doing about 65 ish <**** i got round him with ease got onto a nice straight so i decided to push abit more (heres where my issue starts) i changed to 5th gear and lifted my foot off the clutch a tad early next minute gearstick is in my hand no longer attached to the car. thats the story

my issues now are the gear selector inside the car is wobly the linkages that are hidden below the gator. thats number 1

number two is my gearbox is somewhat like a landrover at the moment reverse 1,3,5 are there but the stick does not stay located although it stays in gear.

number three i have no backwards gears I.e 2,4 at all its like theres a wall there stopping everything. these issues are not going from the stick location these are going from the arm on top of my box. it has the original out of factory box on it still.

i have been informed the issue is one of 2 things either the adjustment on the selector or the gearbox has given up. (the more likely being the box)

i am looking at a couple of ways to fix this but unsure as either will work without paying out a couple hundred pound out.

all help/advise and information as to fixing these issues appreciated.

i need to get this sorted as i am restoring the car back to pretty much standard so that it will be an actual classic not some heap that a boy racer had owned previous to me.