I have a really annoying problem with the clutch on my Polo.

MY 2000
1.4 16v APE engine
6KV5 body type
135k miles

Since I've owned this car, it's always had a heavy and stiff clutch, so I fitted a genuine VW clutch cable and it seemed to ease it a little for a while.
The problem soon re-appeard, so I had a new clutch fitted (pressure plate, friction plate and release bearing).
That was about 18 months ago and now it's back but even worse!!

This is what I'm encountering now:
1) The pedal is heavy to push down and a bit 'nitchy'.
2) When lifting the pedal for the bite point, it's very 'notchy' to the point where it can be unnerving to pull away, as the bite point can be on a 'notch' so one minute the car is stationary and the next it's stalled the engine.
3) When stopped and trying for reverse, it always grinds. The only way for an easy reverse selection is to put it into 1st gear to stop the gears from spinning, then reverse can be easily selected.
4) It always grinds a little when going into 5th gear; it doesn't matter what road speed or engine speed.

I'm beginning to wonder if it's the pedal box welds are giving up, although I thought that it was only the Polo Gti's that suffered that problem?
If not, could it be possible that the friction plate was put in the wrong way round?
That only leaves the clutch drive shaft sleeve, or a shot bearing in the gearbox, although it's not noisy.

Any suggestions please .................

I do spend quite a lot of time and money on this car, to keep it running, as it's a very useful utility estate vehicle.
Therefore I don't want to scrap it yet, as I have quite an investment in it.

Thanks in advance
Tony