Notices

User Tag List

Thread: 2002 VW Polo 1.4 16v BBY - Will not start, turns over, no lights on dashboard

1. 2002 VW Polo 1.4 16v BBY - Will not start, turns over, no lights on dashboard 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    2002 VW Polo 1.4 16v BBY - Will not start, turns over, no lights on dashboard. The car was driven yesterday, ran fine, no warning lights.

This morning it will turn over but wont start. No lights of any sort in the dash display with just the ignition on or when trying to start the car. Battery was new 9 months ago and gives 12.2 volts

Is this a dash module fault?
    VW Polo 2002 1.4 16valve BBY

0 0 0

2. Re: 2002 VW Polo 1.4 16v BBY - Will not start, turns over, no lights on dashboard 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Terminal 15 (ignition) supply should be checked first if you're not getting any dash lights. If it cranks okay that means terminal 50 (starter signal) is okay....leaving question as to T15's integrity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

0 0 0

3. Re: 2002 VW Polo 1.4 16v BBY - Will not start, turns over, no lights on dashboard 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks, much appreciated
    VW Polo 2002 1.4 16valve BBY

0 0 0

4. Re: 2002 VW Polo 1.4 16v BBY - Will not start, turns over, no lights on dashboard 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    hi all
    i have a 2002 1.2 polo hatchback 82000 miles on the clock last week i was driving along and the car jerked and came to a halt on a busy road , i tried starting again and though the engine was turning over it would not start with the oil light flashing and a bleeping sound coming on
    called breakdown and after a 2 hr wait they arrived but did not have a vag com scanner to read what the fault was so they recovered me home
    next day i i looked at all the fuses on the battery (thanks to crasher) and the no 6 was broken so i changed that but still not starting so checked the fuses in the car fuse box and found the 15 amp ignition switch fuse had blown
    i changed the fuse and it blew immediately so in desperation and foolishly some might think i put a 20 amp fuse in and smoke came from the top end of the engine, i pulled the fuse and took the cover of the engine and noticed one of the ignition coils had slight burning marks (no 2)
    i then asked my wife to stand and look at this coil while i put the 20 amp fuse back in and within seconds the no 2 coil had caught fire ,i immediately pulled the fuse
    i ordered a new ignition coil £15 of the net fitted it put another 15 amp fuse in and bingo car started and running a lot better than previously and abs light off as well
    one thing though is the airbag light is permanently on ,could this be that i had the battery disconnected to change the abs strip fuse on the battery
    thanks to every one on this forum who without i would have been stumped and at the mercy of the dealerships

0 0 0

5. Re: 2002 VW Polo 1.4 16v BBY - Will not start, turns over, no lights on dashboard 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    104 Post(s)
    I've had a coil pack fail and changed it, then had the others fail in quick succession, if ones failed the other 3 are probably not far behind!

0 0 0

6. Re: 2002 VW Polo 1.4 16v BBY - Will not start, turns over, no lights on dashboard 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks I was mulling over whether to change the other 2 along with the 3 spark plugs
    Car is due a service soon so I will do it then

0 0 0

7. Re: 2002 VW Polo 1.4 16v BBY - Will not start, turns over, no lights on dashboard 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    35 Post(s)
    replace coils and plugs every 18,000 miles
    VW POLO 2002 1.2 12v , Audi A6 2006 2.0 TDi SE , Skoda Fabia 1.4 TDi

All 3 cars in the current fleet

0 0 0

8. Re: 2002 VW Polo 1.4 16v BBY - Will not start, turns over, no lights on dashboard 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Niall
    with respect i agree with changing the spark plugs every 18,000 miles but surely changing the three ignition coils is overkill at every 18,000 miles especially with the age and the vehicles current value of a 2002 1.2 petrol polo AZQ with 84000 miles on the clock
    For info i paid £420 for this car with 81000 miles in April 2017 on with a full service history and one owner of eBay ,went through mot just needing a rear suspension spring £19 off eBay in June 2017 and also the £15 I paid for the ignition coil that failed
    i have purchased another 2 ignition coils and will do an oil and filter change very shortly ,the spark plugs were changed last year when serviced along with the oil change,and new oil filter, air filter.pollen filter was changed as well
    Cheers Tony

0 0 0