Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hello,

I've had my A4 from new, in May of this year. After 7 years of diesels, I opted for a petrol engine this time round.

However, I have to say that I'm thoroughly disappointed with the mpg of the 1.4TFSI - my round trip to and from work used to be just under 60 miles. Back then I had a MK5 1.9TDi Golf. As good as the mpg was, I used to play the 'see how high you can get the average mpg' game each time I used the car. Almost each trip to and from work, I'd average around 65mpg.

I then had a 1.6TDi A3, which wasn't nearly as good an engine as the 1.9TDi, but even still, I was used to those fuel saving techniques. My work journeys were much shorter during the A3 ownership, 15 miles each way. The mpg was still good.

My trip to work is still the same, but either I'm just not used to the heavier weight of the A4, or the fuel range gauge is way off, or the car is a real gas gustler..

I've never known a car drop its fuel range value by 20 miles within the first 3 minutes of filling up - are the sensors oh so sensitive to movement of the car? I'll pump in £20, which gives me 220 miles. By the time I've got to the lights from the filling station, I'm already at 200, and then probably 190 within 5-10 minutes after that.

I know comparing petrol and diesel is an unfair test, but I still use all those fuel saving techniques from my diesel days. My average speed in the A4 is 27mph! How is the car drinking so much so quickly? The car is better on longer runs, but I mean much longer - you have to be going around 40 minutes before it starts to 'tip' the balance.

The extra shove in the A4 compared to the Golf and A3 is great, but I've had to put that on the shelf, and limit myself cranking it in to Dynamic mode, for the quick spots on the way home. Even then I'm talking 10-15 seconds worth. I'm really sensible with the throttle.

Am regretting having the TFSI, and thinking I should have gone with the 2.0TDi option.

How's anyone else getting on with mpg in the 1.4TFSI?

Thanks.

0 1 0

2. Re: A4 (B9) - 1.4TFSI poor mpg 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Only had mine a few days and over a couple of 60 mile commutes I'm averaging 49 MPG.

This is roughly 50% single carriageway A road average speed 45- 65 depending on traffic and 50% dual carriage way average speed 70 - 75. Urban driving is limited to about 5 minutes at either end and is free flowing.

I had a Golf Mk7 2.0 TDI previously and was averaging around 56 - 58 MPG over the same journey, so I am happy with the A4.

0 0 0

3. Re: A4 (B9) - 1.4TFSI poor mpg 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    More evidence for suggesting it's rubbish on shorter runs.

0 0 0

4. Re: A4 (B9) - 1.4TFSI poor mpg 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    63 Post(s)
    Have you actually tried working out the mpg? At no point in your post do you mention the mpg you are getting! Brim the tank, drive until empty, refill and work out the consumption. You say you are filling up but only putting in £20 - the car will show less fuel used when it is completely full and then tends to go down faster after half full. Going by C5Clive's post, the mpg he is achieving looks good for a brand new car which will get better with time.
    I suppose the other thing to remember is how much cheaper the 1.4 is compared to the 2.0tdi. You get a lot of miles for the difference.
    Current- A6 C8 40 tdi quattro s line Daytona Grey
    Gone-S3 sportback, A6 C7 biturbo saloon,A4 B 8.5 avant, A6 C6 3.0 tdi Quattro saloon, A6 C5 2.8 Q Avant

0 0 0

5. Re: A4 (B9) - 1.4TFSI poor mpg 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The difference in purchase price is indeed something that needs to be considered. Looking at list prices then there is £3250 between the 1.4 TFSI and the 150PS diesel equivalent.

When comparing fuel costs alone for these two models based on 10k per year and allowing 45MPG and 60MPG respectively, the diesel works out cheaper by £273 per year, meaning you will reach the break even point at 11.7 years.

On 20k per year, it is 5.87 years and 3.91 years at 30k.

You don't mention your total mileage per annum and how long you intend to keep the car but you can get a good idea from the figures how it applies to you.

Obviously this is a little simplistic as it doesn't take into account depreciation and the difference in residuals between petrol and diesel, but I hope it illustrates that straight mpg comparison isn't an accurate way to judge.

0 0 0