Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    235 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JSRed View Post
    I had a Vauxhall Insignia several years ago and at 20k, the rear pads got stuck in the carriers and on a long journey towing a trailer, they over heated the discs and started rumbling and smoking like the car was on fire. Vx didn't play ball to start with but eventually agreed to replace discs and pads all round (despite my local garage refusing to do the work as they didn't diagnose the initial problem as the AA towed to another Vx garage in Somerset who diagnosed the problem and fixed it enough to enable me to drive it home as they couldn't repair before I needed to be back at work after the weekend).

Get onto Audi UK and don't give up. I've been battling with them about my towing electrics and the MK garage who told me they wouldn't program them, are now taking it in to investigate at nil cost.

I've not been impressed with Audi's customer service myself so far, but definitely wouldn't be paying to have them fixed myself.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Tried Audi uk and they aren't interested. To be fare the dealings I've had with them previously with a dodgy car they have been quite good. Just not this occasion. They are saying 6 months or 6k is the limit they will entertain a warranty claim.

0 0 0

2. Re: Warped discs 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    235 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan02 View Post
    Thats a bit lazy! Yes, the rollers will show fluctuations but they should have used a DTI gauge on all of the discs.
    I really doubt it. Even in the services I would expect them to take apart and clean the pads and calliper but now it's just a visual with their funky cameras.
    Use to service my own cars and do this all the time. I've had discs in my old golf that's lasted 80k+

0 0 0

3. Re: Warped discs 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    44 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by A6S View Post
    Tried Audi uk and they aren't interested. To be fare the dealings I've had with them previously with a dodgy car they have been quite good. Just not this occasion. They are saying 6 months or 6k is the limit they will entertain a warranty claim.
    VW said exactly the same thing about my clutch when that was slipping on my Golf at 7 months (granted much closer to their 6 month limit). It took a few goes and they eventually gave in too.

Show them any evidence you can find about warped discs (if it is common on the A6) and tell them you want a resolution.

If it saves a grand or reduces the bill then a bit of effort is worth it, in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

0 0 0

4. Re: Warped discs 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    You've not got much chance of Audi coughing up for brake wear, for pads or discs. they're classed as consumable. Even if this happened at 500 miles they would say you braked too hard. whether you did or didn't.

I struggled to get them to accept a claim for body rust after 18 months, even though the warranty is for 6yrs. They never accepted it, said it was from an "external element" that wasn't covered. this was without even looking at the car. My argument that even so the paint shouldn't bubble the way it did d, they weren't having it. Agreed 50/50 good will after I did some shouting.

I wish you luck. Any slightest chance they'll wriggle out of it.

All this said, i wouldn't give them the job of changing discs and pads, i did the pads myself. doing the discs too would not have taken much more time. If you're not that way inclined, go to an indy, either would be still cheaper than a 50/50 good will gesture if they were to offer that as a token.

0 0 0

5. Re: Warped discs 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    235 Post(s)
    I'm happy to get my hands dirty so if really needs it then I will do it myself. Just annoyed that its needs it this early on.
    It's more the principal of it. Whether it was £1 or £1000. I would have expected the brakes to last a bit longer than 20k

0 1 0

6. Re: Warped discs 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    I agree, discs should last longer. but you've had 20k out of them, unlikely they'll give you new at their total cost.

If you end up doing it yourself, the fronts are Brembo system and the rears are Lucas system. the OEM pads are Brembo front and TRW rear (I used Brembo all round). Easy job with VCDS for rears. I'm assuming this as we have exactly the same car from about the same production period. If your wear indicator hasn't come on you wont need sensors. the front pads don't come with them.

If you check out Eurocarparts they always have a code to get about 30% off.

0 0 0

7. Re: Warped discs 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    235 Post(s)
    Looking on euro and other sites the hub part of the discs don't seem to be coated/painted.
    I do t want the rusty hub look.

0 0 0

8. Re: Warped discs 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Just want to confirm what year is your car and how much warranty does it have left?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 0 0

9. Re: Warped discs 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    235 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shab2015 View Post
    Just want to confirm what year is your car and how much warranty does it have left?

About 19 months old so just over a year left.

0 0 0

10. Re: Warped discs 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by A6S View Post
    About 19 months old so just over a year left.
    And how long have you owned the car and is this the first service since owning it?

Reason I ask is that it could be from previous owner?

0 0 0

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast