1. Suspect auto box on Allroad 2.5 please noooo 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    On the way into work this morning I noticed my car exhibiting some funny behaviour. It’s a 2.5 tdi Allroad with a tiptronic fitted. The symptom is that when in 5th at 80 my rpm is now higher than normal. When I ease off the throttle the revs drop without the speed reducing. It is just like a clutch slipping on a manual. I know this all points towards slipping of one clutches in the gearbox but wanted to check if anyone else has another solution. The box I have noticed does seem to surge when cornering as if the box cant make its mind up what gear I should be in. this may be linked I am not sure. I have taken the box out the car once and it’s not for the faint hearted so want to be sure before I commit to it again. I have not done a scan yet as my lead it is at home. Will update you on any results I find.
    Looking forward does anyone have an idea of price for a rebuild of the box. I want to try and keep the car going so don’t mind putting a bit of money into it. Not keen on a second hand one as it is potentially as bad as mine.

Cheers Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 0 0

2. Re: Suspect auto box on Allroad 2.5 please noooo 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Mike,
    That's most likely the torque converter unfortunately. Not able lock up. If you scan it there will be a fault code relating to this. It is a common failure due to a seal that goes in the TC.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

0 0 0

3. Re: Suspect auto box on Allroad 2.5 please noooo 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Yes I am inclined to agree as I have been doing some digging and I reckon the lock up on the tc may be gone. Is this likely to be the solenoid or the tc that needs replacing?

Second point is that I know of an a6 2.5 quattro in the scrap yard currently and was thinking of getting that box to overhaul and then just do a swap. Is the allroad box any different to the ordinary a6 ones? I will try and get the codes for the box from it later

0 0 0

4. Re: Suspect auto box on Allroad 2.5 please noooo 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mike ryan View Post
    Yes I am inclined to agree as I have been doing some digging and I reckon the lock up on the tc may be gone. Is this likely to be the solenoid or the tc that needs replacing?

Second point is that I know of an a6 2.5 quattro in the scrap yard currently and was thinking of getting that box to overhaul and then just do a swap. Is the allroad box any different to the ordinary a6 ones? I will try and get the codes for the box from it later

Providing it's a Quattro car I would imagine it's the same box, but worth checking the codes. From what I've read it's almost always the TC that goes bad hence gearbox out job. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

0 0 0

5. Re: Suspect auto box on Allroad 2.5 please noooo 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1837 Post(s)
    Be very wary of rebuilds, find someone who is ZF approved and who will also overhaul the converter. For a full job like that if you get quoted less than £3K, someone is wrong and that's plus labour...
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

6. Re: Suspect auto box on Allroad 2.5 please noooo 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mike ryan View Post

If you can drive a little more, there are an specialized Allroad breaker in Cricklade, they have a few gearboxes. I can give you their contact details if you are interested.

0 0 0

7. Re: Suspect auto box on Allroad 2.5 please noooo 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    I Haven't been able to get back on here any sooner but here is an update. The fault code diagnosed the tc clutch not locking up. After a bit of digging I have found some training material for this gearbox on line. It all points towards the solenoid valves as that particular valve does the down shift for5-4. This has been banging for some time now so I reckon it is that. I am looking at overhauling or swapping out the valve body as this can be done whilst the box is in the car. The problem has not recurred since so I am taking it as an early warning.

On the plus side my mate has offered me his touraeg quite cheap. I think I will use that while mine is off the road and then make a profit on it later

0 0 0