Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Touran 1.9 TDI PD 2004 '04'

The first cold start of the day it usually starts fine (first turn, quiet). However subsequent starts from warm or not 'cold' and it starts like a pig. It struggles and takes a couple of turns or more of the starter. When it does start or on verge of starting the whole engine judders and sometimes there's a loud banging as if the whole engine is shaking about. Bag of spanners to any passers by!
    Once running and driving the engine runs perfectly fine! As a result, I'm ruling out engine mounts because surely these would be felt knocking on the usual situations like changing gear up/down, on/off throttle etc etc?
    And glow plugs, surely it would struggle more when stone cold, not warm?
    The starter motor is not old, it was renewed last year by previous owner. Perhaps because of this problem, I don't know. The fuel filter and other filters were changed, car serviced, still the problem persists.
    It's usually started with clutch pedal depressed but makes no difference with it engaged.
    Is it something to do with the battery not having enough power to turn the starter motor fast enough? That's what I'm thinking, but there's no other signs like slow turning over and the car is used for longer journeys where it can charge.
    Any ideas what it could be?
    Thanks for any help.

0 0 0

2. Re: Shaking struggle to start 2004 1.9tdi pd 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Mine's the same. I've been led to believe it could be the camshaft speed sensor, I don't know why it would have this effect though.
    On the old ClubTouran site, they often discussed something called a 'cage mod'. I think it involved pulling all the plugs and connectors apart, cleaning the contacts, a smear of dilectric grease and reassemble. I've never done it - I'm not that brave, butif anyone else has I'd like to know the outcome.
    1 person in 10 understands binary, the other one doesn't.

0 0 0

3. Re: Shaking struggle to start 2004 1.9tdi pd 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Basically the engine is not turning fast enough to operate the engine management system and most importantly the opening of your injectors. Plug a diagnostic scanner on, disconnect the main injector wiring loom from the side of the cylinder head and crank her over as you go to engine data and watch your rpm (engine speed) This ideally should be around 290 - 300 but you will probably find that yours is around 230. Pm me for repair help and I'll have a yarn with you

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

0 0 0

4. Re: Shaking struggle to start 2004 1.9tdi pd 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks for replies. Hairbear, cleaning up connectors sounds like the sort of thing I can manage and the kind of fix It was after, worth a try.
    A4 lad, my heart sank a bit with needing a scanner and the problem being deeper than my diy skills can handle! Deep down I knew it would probably be something like that. What actually causes the engine to not turn fast enough? And how come cold starts are better than warm ones? Thanks

0 1 0

5. Re: Shaking struggle to start 2004 1.9tdi pd 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DubNut1982 View Post
    Thanks for replies. Hairbear, cleaning up connectors sounds like the sort of thing I can manage and the kind of fix It was after, worth a try.
    A4 lad, my heart sank a bit with needing a scanner and the problem being deeper than my diy skills can handle! Deep down I knew it would probably be something like that. What actually causes the engine to not turn fast enough? And how come cold starts are better than warm ones? Thanks
    Basically you need more of a kick when turning your engine over. You only need the scanner to diagnose this but I bet this is the problem so don't worry about that for the minute. Start with basics first so remove and clean all your earth wires under the bonnet with a bit of sand paper (battery - body - gearbox - engine) The next step is going to be cleaning the starter motor out (even although it may be sorta new) You are going to have to disconnect the injector wiring loom from the side of the cylinder head and turn your engine over for about 6 -7 seconds, leave the engine sitting for 5 minutes and then repeat, do this process about 5 times. Your engine will not start as the injector wiring loom is disconnected but you will need to erase the engine light after this and will obviously need a scanner for doing that. Last but not least, you might have to replace the battery with a larger amp one to give it more of a kick. It's up to you as you might get lucky with finding a bad earth or a build up of carbon on your start OR you might want to skip all that and just throw a battery in. The choice is yours

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

0 0 0

6. Re: Shaking struggle to start 2004 1.9tdi pd 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    You could try a warm start with the coolant sensor disconnected that will confirm whether its not cranking fast enough,as you've been advised its not turning fast enough.
    A4 B6,A4B7Quattro,MK4 Golf,MK5Golf gone and well forgotten,MK6Golf.

0 0 0

7. Re: Shaking struggle to start 2004 1.9tdi pd 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks very much for the advice guys. Touran just started peeing coolant from somewhere so this problem will have to take a back seat until car back up and running. But now I know the right things to try! Thanks again!

0 1 0

8. Re: Shaking struggle to start 2004 1.9tdi pd 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    A decent new battery sorted this problem out. Winter finished off the old battery (went flat twice within two weeks) so obviously not up to the job for a long while before that. New battery (with couple more amps and more cold cranking amps than the one it replaced) has sorted it right out!

Thanks for the advice

0 0 0