Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Hi, hopefully you guys can help.

I was blanking off the EGR today and disconnected one of the sensors. Then started the engine and forgot to connect it back before doing so.
    What I did wonder about is that engine started up absolutely fine, same as it did before even though the sensor was disconnected.
    No errors or anything at all on the dash as well. (Haven't scanned with VCDS yet though)

So my question, can anybody advise what is the sensor on the pic circled with red? it's a 2.0TDI Passat BKP engine.

maxresdefault.jpg
    And why would disconnected sensor not make a difference on how the car starts and won't even throw an error?
    Can I make an assumption that sensor is dead as it hasn't made a difference or... ?

0 0 0

2. Re: What sensor is this? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1836 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WinDrop View Post
    I was blanking off the EGR today
    Bad boy so not tellin u
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

3. Re: What sensor is this? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    Bad boy so not tellin u
    Emmm, Thanks?

0 0 0

4. Re: What sensor is this? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1836 Post(s)
    Blanking the EGR is illegal and an environmental crime.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 1 0

5. Re: What sensor is this? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    42 Post(s)
    From the picture it looks like fuel temperature sensor you evil man.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

0 0 0

6. Re: What sensor is this? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Blanking the EGR is illegal and an environmental crime.
    Wasn't it the DPF removal that was illegal? And I don't have DPF in my car. Cars with removed DPF will fail the MOT however blocked EGR will not

Quote Originally Posted by FLAPPERJACK76 View Post
    From the picture it looks like fuel temperature sensor you evil man.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    That makes sense why it didn't affect the startup or anything else. Thanks

0 0 0

7. Re: What sensor is this? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1836 Post(s)
    The EGR system is a mandatory emissions control device required under European law and UK construction and use regulations, the EGR system does not YET come under MOT scrutiny as it is not tested. Just because something is not an MOT failure doesn't mean it is not illegal, two different cars welded together with a cloned identity is illegal but not an MOT failure. I don't know why people want to remove it anyway, one of the reasons I read made me laugh though, the reason was "it makes the engine run cooler" which is funny because the purpose of EGR is to REDUCE combustion temperatures to lower the formation of NOX emissions. It has been suggested by various bodies and organisations that the blanking of EGR systems on diesel engines is one of the main reasons the emissions legislation laid down in the 80's has failed to keep air quality in check and why the world is now falling in on diesel engines, about time too...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

8. Re: What sensor is this? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    The EGR system is a mandatory emissions control device required under European law and UK construction and use regulations, the EGR system does not YET come under MOT scrutiny as it is not tested. Just because something is not an MOT failure doesn't mean it is not illegal, two different cars welded together with a cloned identity is illegal but not an MOT failure. I don't know why people want to remove it anyway, one of the reasons I read made me laugh though, the reason was "it makes the engine run cooler" which is funny because the purpose of EGR is to REDUCE combustion temperatures to lower the formation of NOX emissions. It has been suggested by various bodies and organisations that the blanking of EGR systems on diesel engines is one of the main reasons the emissions legislation laid down in the 80's has failed to keep air quality in check and why the world is now falling in on diesel engines, about time too...
    My reason for blanking it off is because my EGR valve is broken and stuck open meaning that engine doesn't run correctly.
    And to go into more details, although I don't have to, I am currently in the middle of purchasing a house and cannot afford expenses to replace the EGR valve hence blanking it seemed like a quick fix until I can replace it with a new working unit.

0 0 0