Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi
    I am pulling my hair out here.

My son owns a 2006 1.4 Petrol Ibiza, that was working fine up until he went to Australia for 6 months. For the first couple of months, i started it every other week no problem, then left it for about 4 weeks, and had trouble starting it, although it did start eventually after alot of coughing and spluttering.
    I then left it for another two weeks and cannot get it to start under normal conditions now - Couple of things i have already discounted. The battery - I keep it regularly charged and it and turns the car OK. Fuel - I put a couple of gallons of new fuel into the tank thinking that the fuel may have gone off? Also, there is fuel in the bar that feeds the injectors (as there is a screw one end that shoots out fuel if you undo it). I have put 4 brand new coil packs, 4 spark plugs, oil, filter and air filter - that did not make a difference.

The car will start under one specific condition which i have described below, and when the engine warms up it runs normally, idling and revving fine, and in addition, there is no engine management light on (which i would expect if one of the sensors were faulty)

The only way I can start the car now is my other son sits in the drivers seat and tries to start the car, and i squirt brake cleaner (or any other enricher) into the carb, giving it a short squirt every 3-5 seconds. It fires after about 5 seconds but i have to continue squirting every few seconds for about 45 seconds to 1 minute, At this stage, the engine sounds like the timing is out, or its really damp. After about 45 seconds I ask my son to hold the revs at about 3000 for two minutes, Then the car runs OK, and will act as if nothing is wrong
    SO - when its warm, it runs like a dream. If you turn the engine off, and try to restart, it starts fine if the engine is warm, if you let it go cold it does not start.
    There are no engine management lights on

So it seems that the car does not recognise that its cold, and therefore does not enrich the fuel.

Any suggestions welcome
    Dom

0 0 0

2. Re: Starting Problems 2006 1.4 Ibiza 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    106 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1813 Post(s)
    The MIL not being on is meaningless, get it code read using proper VAG specific equipment, not some fleaBay special OBD reader.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

3. Re: Starting Problems 2006 1.4 Ibiza 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    104 Post(s)
    I'd suspect a sticky throttle body flap (what you describe as the 'carb') due to lack of use, but as said above, a full scan would help pinpoint something and avoid pot luck component changes. You could check all round for perished or split breather hose, evap canister hose etc in the meantime to rule out anything obvious.

0 0 0

4. Re: Starting Problems 2006 1.4 Ibiza 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks Crasher

As i cant drive it to a garage, does your average mobile car mechanic have VAG specific equipment or do i need to go to seat/vag?
    Thanks
    Dom

0 0 0

5. Re: Starting Problems 2006 1.4 Ibiza 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks Rob
    Can the throttle body flap be 'greased'
    can put some ptfe spray on it i suppose?
    Dom

0 0 0

6. Re: Starting Problems 2006 1.4 Ibiza 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    106 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1813 Post(s)
    PTFE spray kills the lambda sensor and cat in one go. Sticky throttle bodies respond to cleaning 99.99% of the time. A sticking throttle body will show up as a code. A lot of mobile chaps and general garages have VCDS now, it is quite widely used, not perfect by any means but neither is VW's own system!
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0