1. Mk 4 gt tdi 130bhp missfire/hesittaion under load 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi all I have had this fairly minor but irritating ongoing problem now for the last six months and hasn't really got any worse. I have searched the internet for ideas and answers over the last few months and gleaned plenty of knowledge but nothing specific.
    I really want to cure the problem and have some time now to put to it

There appears to be some very experienced people with the PD 's on this forum with a wealth of knowledge .
    I'm hoping someone may be able to point me in the right direction as I am at a bit of a dead end and the value of the car doesn't really warrant throwing expensive parts at it willy nilly.
    Wiring loom tests out with meter and connecting plugs all good, cam lobes checked - injector cleaner added but still have a random miss fire/hessitation when fuel demand increases under load at around 2000 rpm.
    If I floor it it will judder when under load loseing power. I suspect an injector but have no idea how would single out the one that's giving me this annoying problem. I have diagnostics and looked at injector idle values and all looks fine and all within spec.
    Sometimes it will run and pull fine and you wouldn't think there was a problem and then it starts again when floored usually on a steep hill.
    If anyone has any idea how to single out he problematic injector as I don''t want to change the lot.
    I have clamped the fuel return hose to help maintain a higher pressure in the fuel gallery and it has improved things though not 100% . I have a known good tandem pump so will be changing that soon but I'm guessing and I don't like guessing because it costs money!
    Any thoughts much appreciated Cheers.

0 0 0

2. Re: Mk 4 gt tdi 130bhp missfire/hesittaion under load 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)
    I would say change the injector loom regardless of any test results.

Ian
    A4 B6 Avant Nogaro Blue

0 0 0

3. Re: Mk 4 gt tdi 130bhp missfire/hesittaion under load 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Its an option rowdy - thanks for your input - but It just feels fuel related . Had previous experience of failed injector looms or plug injector contacts more often than not the contacts in the plug fail and any misfire engine temperature related.
    It was a poor design to be honest with the harness and plugs immersed in hot engine oil. Asking for trouble if you ask me. I still believe its a single injector breaking down or failing mechanically under certain conditions - when fuel demand is high but with the injectors underneath the cam cover swapping and changing one at a time would be a ball ache but i guess I may still end up going down this route with no definitive way to diagnose which injector is failing.

0 0 0

4. Re: Mk 4 gt tdi 130bhp missfire/hesittaion under load 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    Presumably no codes? Have you studied the injector balances, status values and crucially the torsion value to ensure it does not even get close to +/-3.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

5. Re: Mk 4 gt tdi 130bhp missfire/hesittaion under load 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Correct Crasher, thanks for your interests and input - no codes whatsoever.
    I don't have VCDS but have good diagnostics that give me the same engine measuring blocks.
    Block 13 just as VCDS show me each injector injection quantities at idle and the are all well within spec and pretty stable having checked these a number of times.
    Was sort of hoping one injector value would jump out at me but unfortunately nothing stands out as being abnormal.
    I cant see any other injector monitoring other than block 16 where I can graph all of the injectors but this doesn't seem to throw up any anomalies.
    I seem to remember some years back when I was working for a local garage we had an injector failure o a PD it was a constant miss fire and could easily be pinpointed as the torsion value was maxed out.
    Appreciate your input.

0 0 0

6. Re: Mk 4 gt tdi 130bhp missfire/hesittaion under load 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    The torsion value indicates any measured phasing error between crank (G28) and cam (G40 sensors) I don't like to see injector flow rates get anywhere near 1mgper whatever, the 2.8 listed on VCDS is a joke.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

7. Re: Mk 4 gt tdi 130bhp missfire/hesittaion under load 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for clarifying the term torsion value Crasher some of the terminology I have yet to get up to speed with. The group 13 readings look fine all very close to + or - 0.3 at idle and idle is regular and reasonably smooth.

0 0 0

8. Re: Mk 4 gt tdi 130bhp missfire/hesittaion under load 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I've had a worn tandem pump cause very similar symptoms in the past.
    '12 Audi A4 Allroad 2.0 TDI 'CGLC'
    '11 VW GOLF BLUEMOTION 1.6 TDI. 'CAYC'
    '07 VW T5 TRANSPORTER T32 ,,,,,, 'BNZ'
    '91 VW GOLF SPORTLINE CABRIOLET 1.8 GTI. 'DX'

0 0 0

9. Re: Mk 4 gt tdi 130bhp missfire/hesittaion under load 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Appreciated the response dil78 its the next job and the simplest route to take as I have a good used pump. Will post the results when done . Thanks again.

0 0 0

10. Re: Mk 4 gt tdi 130bhp missfire/hesittaion under load 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Well guys thank you all for your input and for dil78 in particular who prompted me to go that route in the end . Been trying to make a decision on what route to take for a few months and your post swayed it when I was all ready to start changing injectors.
    Pump changed and it has totally cured the hesitation/ misfire and feels like a different and now pulling like a train.
    Even at idle engine is smoother.
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions I'm cured!!

0 1 0