1. What next 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    My 63 plate 2.0TDi has got 90k miles on and I've had it for 3 years so I am starting to think about what's next - I know it will do a zillion miles more than that but it takes me forever to decide on cars so starting the process well in advance...

Criteria:

Something faster than today
    Manual (I never get on with automatics)
    Maybe time to move on from diesel?
    Room for family of 4 and plenty of space
    Not a BMW
    Something I can buy 1 yr old for around £30k.

Looked at so far:

A7 (but only diesel and new one coming soon I think)
    FL A6 (not a big enough upgrade, only diesel, new one coming soon)
    A4 Estate (too small?)
    Jag XF (couldn't find any petrol manuals)
    Volvo (ditto)
    Tesla (too expensive)
    Honda Civic Type R (a bit mid life crisis-ish?)

Any ideas welcome...
    Now: 2016 C7 2.0TDi BE with Tech Pack, magic parking, ambient lighting
    Previous: 2013 C7 2.0 TDi S Line
    C6 2.0 TDI LE
    A4 2.0 TDI SE
    and an ancient 80 in the olden days...

0 0 0

2. Re: What next 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    235 Post(s)
    Most of the luxury car market will be almost all autos now. That's the only way they can achieve those economy figures as they are aimed at company car drivers.
    Civic type r would be my choice if I could get away with it. I'm a big Honda fan and have a couple of type r's that used to get tracked a lot.
    New one looks awesome and with a ring time around 7 minutes it's a serous piece of kit.

0 0 0

3. Re: What next 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    63 Post(s)
    I would seriously consider trying a 3.0 tdi A6 auto - either tiptronic or s-tronic. They are very good auto boxes. If the A6 isn't for you, then maybe an A8 although might struggle with the year old for the price but you could get a low mileage FL for about 20k.
    New A4 estate is surprisingly roomy.
    Current- A6 C8 40 tdi quattro s line Daytona Grey
    Gone-S3 sportback, A6 C7 biturbo saloon,A4 B 8.5 avant, A6 C6 3.0 tdi Quattro saloon, A6 C5 2.8 Q Avant

0 0 0

4. Re: What next 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    54 Post(s)
    Auto/Diesel I know, but the A7s are gorgeous. Based on the A6 obviously but just try sitting in one and driving for a while. I went from a manual 2.0 A6 to an A7 3.0 272 BE and it's a step up for sure. The 3.0 V6/Auto is smooth as silk - 218, 272 or 320, all quattros except the basic 218s. More standard 'stuff' than an A6 too.
    From Apr 2017 - now: Oct 2016 (66) Audi A7 3.0 TDI quattro (FL - MY17), 272 ps, Black Edition (Tech pack, Parking Pack, Folding Mirrors), Mythos Black.
    Gone - From Oct 2013 - Mar 2017:
    Mar 2013 Audi A6 C7 S-line 2.0TDi Manual, Daytona Grey.
    (Gone) - From Sep 2011 - Oct 2013
    : Sep 2010 Audi A6 C6 S-line Special Ed (Le Mans) 2.0 TDi Manual, Polar Blue./(Gone) - From Sep 2009 - Sep 2011: Sep 2008 Audi A6 C6 S-line 2.0 TDi Auto, Akoya Silver.

0 1 0

5. Re: What next 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    Thanks all.

A6S The Honda is very tempting, will certainly give one a go. I had a go in one a few years ago and it was nuts.
    Scott K Yes if I stick with diesel then a 3.0 is definitely where I want to go. I suspect the gearboxes will be better than the crappy Fiat 500L I had on holiday which was flappy paddle.
    pxr5 I do like the A7 from most angles, the FL helped clean up the back end a bit.

Plenty of food for thought....
    C6 2.0 TDI LE
    A4 2.0 TDI SE

0 0 0

6. Re: What next 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    235 Post(s)
    I haven't driven the new one yet but the 2015 model was no slouch.
    New focus rs is another option that's pretty quick

0 0 0

7. Re: What next 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    I must admit the A7 is growing on me having done a bit of digging around. It's diesel and auto but at that end of the market that's pretty much the norm.

As luck would have it my A6 is worth a bit more than I expected so maybe I can increase the budget for the new one a little.
    C6 2.0 TDI LE
    A4 2.0 TDI SE

0 0 0

8. Re: What next 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nevbadger99 View Post
    I must admit the A7 is growing on me having done a bit of digging around. It's diesel and auto but at that end of the market that's pretty much the norm.

As luck would have it my A6 is worth a bit more than I expected so maybe I can increase the budget for the new one a little.
    Yay, good choice :-) When I got mine, I just mentioned that I was interested in an A7 when at the dealers. He gave me the keys for their demonstrator and I fell in love.
    From Apr 2017 - now: Oct 2016 (66) Audi A7 3.0 TDI quattro (FL - MY17), 272 ps, Black Edition (Tech pack, Parking Pack, Folding Mirrors), Mythos Black.
    Gone - From Oct 2013 - Mar 2017:
    Mar 2013 Audi A6 C7 S-line 2.0TDi Manual, Daytona Grey.
    (Gone) - From Sep 2011 - Oct 2013
    : Sep 2010 Audi A6 C6 S-line Special Ed (Le Mans) 2.0 TDi Manual, Polar Blue./(Gone) - From Sep 2009 - Sep 2011: Sep 2008 Audi A6 C6 S-line 2.0 TDi Auto, Akoya Silver.

0 0 0

9. Re: What next 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pxr5 View Post
    Yay, good choice :-) When I got mine, I just mentioned that I was interested in an A7 when at the dealers. He gave me the keys for their demonstrator and I fell in love.
    Sounds like a plan - just been looking through the A7 section of this forum and saw some of your posts. The Civic Type R got the thumbs down from the family and i've had a load of Audis with very little trouble so far so this could be a winner.
    C6 2.0 TDI LE
    A4 2.0 TDI SE

0 0 0