1. 2005 Golf GTD 140 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi, a new member so hello to the existing members.
    I have just bought the above car, when I went to buy it and heard it running, it has a slight whistle when the revs die down just before tickover and then goes away.
    The car runs fine and it's done 110,000 miles , the cambelt was done at 60,000 but it was in 2011, so although it's done 50,000 miles since the belt was changed the belt is six years old. Is it an easy job and do you need any special tools.
    The headlights need cleaning ad the have faded, gone yellow, any recommendations to bring them back to normal.
    All help and advice much appreciated.
    Thanks

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

0 0 0

2. Re: 2005 Golf GTD 140 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    104 Post(s)
    Hi, welcome to the forum. The belt interval IIRC on those is 40k or 4 years, check the service schedule book and you should see that written in there, however i've run a few pd engines beyond that and the belts have been ok, my current car had done around 70k on its belt when I bought it and due to moving house etc, I ran it for another 6 months before I changed it, the belt was looking pretty tired and the tensioner and water pump bearings a bit wear in them once I'd got them off though, so you're thinking along the right lines to be changing yours.
    You need the locking tools which are available all over the place. It's easy if you know what you're doing, or can turn into a nightmare, depends on your experience. I've done several 1.9 pd belts in tourans and passats, access is a bit tight on the touran / golf, you need to get into the wheel arch to get to the bottom pulley and belt covers and getting the engine mount out the way can be tight. Always change the water pump while you're in there, The tensioner stud is known to fail on those and some folks recommend changing the stud as well, don't overtorque the tensioner nut.
    While you're in the wheel arch you could take off the turbo compressor air intake pipe and check the shaft for end float and lift, the whistle you mention on run down could be a worn turbo or sticking VNT mechanism. I've known a few pals who've had to change out turbos on the 2 litre engines at around 80 to 100k miles.
    I've polished up headlights using very fine wet and dry, then rubbing compound on a polishing pad, then polish, they came up alright, I used farecla rubbing compound, I'm sure I could have got them better if I spent more time on them though !!

0 0 0

3. Re: 2005 Golf GTD 140 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Rob69, thanks so much for your advice, I think I give the belt a go, I have just rebuilt my Aprilia rsv mele factory motorcycle, so long as I take my time I should be ok. I will get some locking tools and get some compound for the lights.
    Rob I was listening to a few engines on YouTube and it sounds like the boost pipe where it fits in, but I will check it first.
    Can I get one of these anywhere in the UK.
    Pumpe Duse Intake Hose/Manifold Connection Fix (BHW) (BHW) - KermaTDI
    The shipping is ridiculous for an O ring a couple of spacers and a plate.
    Thanks again for your help, oh what belt would you recommend to use a vw one or are there others as good.

0 0 0

4. Re: 2005 Golf GTD 140 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    This is what mine sounds like, but I will have to check it
    Common boost leak on VW TDI BEW 1.9L MK4, Fix with Doggie Collar Mount - YouTube

0 0 0

5. Re: 2005 Golf GTD 140 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    104 Post(s)
    I can't see video form work, but are you saying you think the leak is from the boost pipe into throttle body / egr? that collar arrangement looks a bit of overkill - a new o ring should sort it.
    On these engines I've only ever used the VW timing belt kits and water pumps from TPS, they tend to work out similar price to the decent aftermarket kits and I know everything will be as original.

0 0 0

6. Re: 2005 Golf GTD 140 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Rob, thanks for the information mate, it was much appreciated.
    Is it alright to run it on fully synthetic oil.
    My friend has has VW diagnostic mate who goes around in a van, so I may get him to plug it in and I am desperately hoping he doesn't say turbo.
    Is the Mk 6 with the 170 engine or the Mk5, it's on 55 plate but it's a 2006?
    When I go to insure it comes with 140. Is one a GTD and the other a GT TDI, can you tell by any numbers on the car or should be inthe logbook.
    Thanks Richard

0 0 0

7. Re: 2005 Golf GTD 140 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    104 Post(s)
    I run my PD engines on Quantum longlife III synthetic, it's said to be rebranded castrol, don't know about that but it's been ok for me, the required oil specs are given in the handbook, sorry can't remember the spec off top of my head. If you look at the build sticker in the boot or in the front page of the service book you should see the 3 letter engine code, and maybe the kW output or PS rating that should answer if its a 140 or 170, would have thought V5 also.

0 0 0

8. Re: 2005 Golf GTD 140 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Rob, I can't seem to lock the doors, the indicators flash when you lock it but the doors still open, and the little red light on the driver's door is permanently lit.
    Am I doing something wrong, or is there a fault with the central locking.

0 0 0