1. Correcting paint 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    19 Post(s)
    Great info guys, time to apply it to some new paint?
    I have Painted several of my classic bike parts this summer and I went quite thick with the clear coat so plenty to play with, but I am not happy with the final surface after the rotary tool rubbing compound and then polishing compound with wax on top, I think a DA machine is needed and maybe I need to get new compounds
    This is (left side) with 3000grit and a block to take the high clear coat off, the right side is then rubbing compound

With polishing compound and meguiars cleaner wax, looks ok but there is still some swirling in it.

What would you think to use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 0 0

2. Re: Correcting paint 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    308 Post(s)
    You've got some old crude stuff there , you need a proper graded system .

At this point Farecla G3 and G10 might work.

0 0 0

3. Re: Correcting paint 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    54 Post(s)
    If by hand, maybe try Gtechniq P1 with a german applicator. For a small area like that it should be fine for swirls. Then polish with some Autoglym SRP (to fill anything left) then a nice wax on top.
    From Apr 2017 - now: Oct 2016 (66) Audi A7 3.0 TDI quattro (FL - MY17), 272 ps, Black Edition (Tech pack, Parking Pack, Folding Mirrors), Mythos Black.
    Gone - From Oct 2013 - Mar 2017:
    Mar 2013 Audi A6 C7 S-line 2.0TDi Manual, Daytona Grey.
    (Gone) - From Sep 2011 - Oct 2013
    : Sep 2010 Audi A6 C6 S-line Special Ed (Le Mans) 2.0 TDi Manual, Polar Blue./(Gone) - From Sep 2009 - Sep 2011: Sep 2008 Audi A6 C6 S-line 2.0 TDi Auto, Akoya Silver.

0 0 0

4. Correcting paint 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazwould View Post
    You've got some old crude stuff there , you need a proper graded system .

At this point Farecla G3 and G10 might work.
    A kit like this?

I would like to tart up the wife's Touran also, I could practice on that before the bike paint

Quote Originally Posted by pxr5 View Post
    If by hand, maybe try Gtechniq P1 with a german applicator. For a small area like that it should be fine for swirls. Then polish with some Autoglym SRP (to fill anything left) then a nice wax on top.
    I am at the point of investing in a DA also, more for the cars than the bike bits.
    What would you call a nice wax?

0 0 0

5. Re: Correcting paint 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex jb View Post

I am at the point of investing in a DA also, more for the cars than the bike bits.
    What would you call a nice wax?

Yes a wise choice for a DA. There is a long running group buy for the DAS6 Pro at Detailing World from Clean Your Car. Then just pads and polish. You could consider the Chemical Guys Hex logic pads (orange and white) and Meguiars 105 and 205 polishes - that would give you a good choice for different paints. Or polish wise - Scholl S17+ (for any heavier imperfections) and Scholl S30+ (for lighter swirls) with the meguiars pads.

Wax wise there are hundreds to choose from. Fusso coat lasts for 12 montjhs (not really a wax though), Dodo Juice Supernatural Hybrid (a wax and sealant in one), Autofinesse Spirit (a lovely wax), Bilt Hamber Double Speed wax. You could seal first, then a wax over the top. I like Sonax Polymer Net Shield sealant, but again there are loads. Also there is Sonax Brilliant Shine Detailer - a quick detailer spray, but acts like a sealant - very good and very popular (can be bought from Euro Car Parts), great for top ups.
    From Apr 2017 - now: Oct 2016 (66) Audi A7 3.0 TDI quattro (FL - MY17), 272 ps, Black Edition (Tech pack, Parking Pack, Folding Mirrors), Mythos Black.
    Gone - From Oct 2013 - Mar 2017:
    Mar 2013 Audi A6 C7 S-line 2.0TDi Manual, Daytona Grey.
    (Gone) - From Sep 2011 - Oct 2013
    : Sep 2010 Audi A6 C6 S-line Special Ed (Le Mans) 2.0 TDi Manual, Polar Blue./(Gone) - From Sep 2009 - Sep 2011: Sep 2008 Audi A6 C6 S-line 2.0 TDi Auto, Akoya Silver.

0 0 0

6. Re: Correcting paint 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    19 Post(s)
    I bought a few of the G3 products yesterday

Used the restorer and the hand applicator pad then the wax

Before, ok but plenty of swirling

After the restorer

After the wax

Very nice and easy too use.

I may 3000 grit the seat hump again to get the clear coat really flat then get the G3 cutting compound and follow with these products

0 0 0

7. Correcting paint 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    19 Post(s)
    So I tried it on the Touran

I think the hand applicators will take forever on a car, the right side of the tape line is with the restorer, it's better but not a huge improvement.

0 0 0