Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Massive transformation in just 6 days on my new GT sport TDI 170

1. Massive transformation in just 6 days on my new GT sport TDI 170 (pics now working) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi all I'm new here after accidentally becoming an owner of a 2006 Mk5 Golf GT sport TDI 170 after a customer of mine wanted to throw in the towel and scrap it simply because after having the DPF removed and mapped out recently she didn't like the smell it now has that and it needed a clutch and DMF so I happily offered what she was offered scrap £150 and bought and fitted a new clutch kit and then the fun began.

Here is how it looked the day I took ownership:

3 weeks ago over a weekend I dropped just under 2 grand on parts off eBay and was patiently waiting for the parts to arrive the longest time was going to be some parts ordered from Russia.

List of parts ordered:

-GTI grill set
    -Coilovers
    -CSR front lower lip spoiler
    -Forged aluminium M14 x 1.5 wheel nuts
    -Gloss black with red inserts front badge
    -BMW X5 style 132 alloys 19" front 9" rear 10"
    -Rear roof spoiler
    -Gloss black boot badge
    -R32 headlights
    -R32 rear bumper bottom
    -R32 side skirts
    -20 x M14 x 1.5 30mm studs
    -New BMW wheel center badges
    -TDI to R32 rear silencer delete kit
    -Chrome indicator bulbs
    -HB4 LED bulbs (for front fogs)
    -55w H7 8000k HID kit
    -LED number plate light units
    -Ramair induction kit with heat shield
    -GTD badge to replace the GTI badge on the front grill set
    -50mm arch flares (parts coming from Russia)
    -Performance remap through a local contact in the trade upped to approx 205-210bhp and bags of torque
    -Booked for next Wednesday window tints
    -Tyres 2x 215/35 19 2x 235/35 19
    -Red metal flake (large flake)
    -1/2 ltr of LA7T paint
    -1x Upol lacquer pack set (5ltrs)

Anyway my Golfs transformation finally started last Sunday when I decided to paint a few bits and pieces that had arrived in preparation of fitting and as we had my sons 1st birthday party the weekend before I decided to use the 6mt x 3mt gazebo that was up in the garden to spray in and it worked great after I carted all my spray gear and compressor in there and spent the weekend painting.

The day before at work I had prepped the wheels and fitted the new tyres as I didn't want to be fitting new tyres over fresh paint so I fitted them and just popped them off the front bead:

Then on the Saturday morning I got everything ready in the tent to start spraying my trick paint job:

I didn't get any pictures of me laying down the red metal flake but I basically primed the wheels then gave them a black base coat before giving them a 95% coverage with the metal flake then buried the metal flake under 2 heavy coats of lacquer.

Here's them finished out in the sun:

The pictures don't do them justice as it's very hard capturing the true effect of metal flake on a camera.

On Sunday I prepped and painted the body modifications I had

Front lip and rear R32 bottom primed and black part painted before I masked up the black and laid down the base colour:

Unmasked finished job:

And while I had the paint on the go my first actual on car mod was to tint the rear lights, I do this by taking standard car lacquer and mixing in a small amount of base coat black then applying coats till the desired effect is reached.

Lights scottched up ready to receive paint:

Back on the car as I needed to use it to get into work to fit the body kit parts in preparation of getting the arch flares:

Done this way gives them a great finish and there stay very translucent.

Wife was not happy I had taken up the whole living room to store my bits, lucky we have 2 living rooms:

So Tuesday morning I got into work at 6am and I fitted the coilovers:

Fitted but not set up:

Wednesday morning I got in early and removed the center silencer and replaced it with straight pipe then removed the rear silencer and replaced that with the TDI to R32 silencer delete kit and fitted the rear R32 bumper bottom:

Then Thursday morning I fitted the front lower CSR lip and GTI grill set and R32 headlights along with the front gloss black badge, HID kit and LED frog light bulbs which I then re wired to run as DRL's so there on all the time the ignition is on:

0 1 0

2. Re: Massive transformation in just 6 days on my new GT sport TDI 170 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Then Thursday afternoon my long awaited arch flares arrived from Russia so I spent 4 hrs yesterday (Friday) fitting them which was a little unnerving taking a cutting disc and cutting 3" off the front and rear arches.....:

Before the arch flares were riveted in position the exposed metal edges and holes were treated and sealed and the stock rear arches being double skinned left a 5 mm cavity which I welded up to retain it's rigidity then like the front it was treated and sealed and once the flares were fitted I also as to double up on the protection I went over all the panel edges with seam sealer so there wont be any risk of rust appearing.

Looked ridicules with the stock wheels still on:

Then this morning (Saturday) I was over my brother in laws engineering shop where he was making my custom adapter spacers converting from 5 x 112 pcd to 5 x 120 pcd and spacing the front 30mm and the rear 45mm giving me 80mm total extending out on each corner compared to the stock wheels so widening the track by a total of 16cm front and rear the spacers are to be bolted onto my VW hubs and I had studs pressed into the spacers to bolt the X5 wheels on with:

Milling

Pressing the studs in:

A quick test fit at his workshop just in case I needed any more taken off the spacers:

Anyway they fitted perfectly so I then went home and gave the car a clean and then a going over with the machine polisher to bring the paint up like new and while I was at it I debadged the rear:

Then once mopped and cleaned and waxed I shot back into work and finished fitting the wheels and the final thing was to fit the gloss black VW boot badge:

So here it is in 6 days it gone from this:

To this:

All thats left is the window tints that are booked for next Wednesday and also fit the roof spoiler as the tint man asked me to not fit it as it makes his life easier.

Sorry for the long post but I had a lot to show....

0 3 0

3. Re: Massive transformation in just 6 days on my new GT sport TDI 170 (pics now working) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    29 Post(s)
    That's a superb transformation. Wish I had the skill to do half of that

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

0 0 0

4. Re: Massive transformation in just 6 days on my new GT sport TDI 170 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Nice work bud but I can't see the finished photos

0 0 0

5. Re: Massive transformation in just 6 days on my new GT sport TDI 170 (pics now working) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks,

That's the advantage of being in the motor trade, if I'd had pay someone to do all that work for me it would have cost a fortune.

0 0 0

6. Re: Massive transformation in just 6 days on my new GT sport TDI 170 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ste81 View Post
    Nice work bud but I can't see the finished photos
    They took a while to load for me

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

0 0 0

7. Re: Massive transformation in just 6 days on my new GT sport TDI 170 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Strange they load fine for me, it's the first time I've used imgur for image hosting seeing as photobucket has gone up the shoot.

0 0 0

8. Re: Massive transformation in just 6 days on my new GT sport TDI 170 (pics now working) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    19 Post(s)
    Looking great, love the metal flake!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 1 0

9. Re: Massive transformation in just 6 days on my new GT sport TDI 170 (pics now working) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    Excellent work. BMW centre caps look a bit out of place though - what's the reasoning for them?

0 0 0

10. Re: Massive transformation in just 6 days on my new GT sport TDI 170 (pics now working) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by robes401 View Post
    Excellent work. BMW centre caps look a bit out of place though - what's the reasoning for them?
    Well they are BMW X5 Wheels and a conversation starter as I've been asked a lot already how I managed to fit X5 Wheels to a mk5

0 0 0