1. Radiator and Aircon Fans Not Working 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yesterday in the hot weather I realised that neither my aircon condenser fan or radiator fan are working. I had noticed a few weeks prior that the a/c did not work when the car was at a stand still and just assumed wrongly that it needed a re-gas. However the car decided to overheat whilst stuck in traffic on the M25 yesterday resulting in me calling my break down service. I had already worked out what was wrong even before I lifted the bonnet as clearly there was no problems with a/c and overheating when on the move. Upon opening the bonnet my theory was confirmed. Thinking about it a little further I realised that even in hot weather I had not heard either fan run on after I turned the engine off for a while.

As it happens the break down man who turned up an hour later was pretty clueless, suggesting that the fan only comes on when the temp goes over 90 and the engine overheating could be caused by a faulty a/c pump (I assume he meant the compressor) which is complete rubbish. As we know the a/c condenser fan should always be on when the a/c is on and both fans should be on anyway when the a/c is on. Also how can a fault compressor possibley cause the engine to overheat. Anyways the option given was a tow home or to chance it in the the car. I decided to chance it and made it home fine after having to stop once to cool down.

Now I've just got to work out why the fans don't work. Any ideas??

2011 A6 Avant S-Line Special Edition 2.0 TDI 170 Multitronic
    - Phantom Black, Technology Package - High (HDD Nav with 3G MMI), 19" 5 Segment Spoke Alloys, Factory Privacy Glass, OEM LED Number Plate Lights, All the Usual S-Line Refinements.
    Previously...
    2005 VW Passat B6 2.0TDI 140 Sport - (BKP Engine)

0 0 0

2. Re: Radiator and Aircon Fans Not Working 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Try the engine bay fuse box. SB23 on some models. The fuse may have blown. A faulty intake manifold flap often blows this. If not the then the fan controller has gone and you need new fans.

0 0 0

3. Re: Radiator and Aircon Fans Not Working 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by martin1810 View Post
    Try the engine bay fuse box. SB23 on some models. The fuse may have blown. A faulty intake manifold flap often blows this. If not the then the fan controller has gone and you need new fans.
    Thanks for the reply. All my engine fuse box fuses start with an F then a number, either way this is irrelevant because I have checked all the fuses now visually and with an ohm meter and they are all fine.

So the safe assumption would be the fan controller then? You say I need new fans, does that mean that the controller is intergral to the fans and housing or that VW will only sell you the whole assembly? Also is it easy to replace? the Haynes manual goes on about placeing the lock carrier assembly in the 'service position' which sounds like a bit of a faff. I am a pretty compentant DIY mechanic as I am an Aircraft Technician by trade so this should be no problem for me right?

Your help on this matter is greatly appreciated...

- Phantom Black, Technology Package - High (HDD Nav with 3G MMI), 19" 5 Segment Spoke Alloys, Factory Privacy Glass, OEM LED Number Plate Lights, All the Usual S-Line Refinements.
    Previously...

0 0 0

4. Re: Radiator and Aircon Fans Not Working 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    The fuse slots say F23 which I guess means fuse 23. The actual fuse is called sb23 and fits in slot F23. If the fuses are ok then the controller has probably gone. Vcds scan may confirm this. I think the only way to get a controller is to replace the whole assembly. Undo four screws and a connector and it lifts out. I doubt you can get it out without moving the front foward as per Haynes guide.

0 0 0

5. Re: Radiator and Aircon Fans Not Working 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The fuse slots say F23 which I guess means fuse 23. The actual fuse is called sb23 and fits in slot F23. If the fuses are ok then the controller has probably gone. Vcds scan may confirm this. I think the only way to get a controller is to replace the whole assembly. Undo four screws and a connector and it lifts out. I doubt you can get it out without moving the front foward as per Haynes guide.
    Fuse is fine so looks like I'm going to be replacing the fans. Will take them off and test with a multimeter first. Unfortunatley I don't have access to VCDS but I really must invest in it. Its getting increasingly hard to troubleshoot and work with out it. It will pay for itself with saved labour costs.

Previously...

0 0 0

6. Re: Radiator and Aircon Fans Not Working 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    The fans are probably ok. The controller is usually the problem and I have never seen a part number for it on it's own. It only seems to be available as part of the complete fan assembly. In theory the fans are available on their own but not the bit that fails !!

0 0 0

7. Re: Radiator and Aircon Fans Not Working 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The fans are probably ok. The controller is usually the problem and I have never seen a part number for it on it's own. It only seems to be available as part of the complete fan assembly. In theory the fans are available on their own but not the bit that fails !!
    Removed the complete fan assembly from the car today. Was a very easy job. All I had to take off was the engine undershield in order to reach the 2 lower screws holding it on then manoeuvre it out. The fan controller is actually part of the large engine radiator fan which is why you can't buy it separately. VW dealer want a massive £253 for one of these fans, but i've seen brand new genuine ones on ebay for £150. Part no is 1K0 959 455 N which aparently has been superceded. My fan is made by Siemens but there are about 4 different manufacturers depending on the year and it is a part that is common across many VW models.

Previously...

0 0 0

8. Re: Radiator and Aircon Fans Not Working 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Avaoid any fan ending in EA as it will be less powerful than the 300W fan which is presumably what you have. Siemens are DT, Gate are F and Temic are CQ. The part number is the same, only the last letters change.

0 0 0

9. Re: Radiator and Aircon Fans Not Working 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Update: Have now discovered that the smaller right side fan is also dead. To test I plugged it directly into a power source and there was nothing, not a flicker. For this reason I have bought a complete fan assembly off ebay and am confident that this will sort out the problems when it turns up.

Fortunately the Passat is not my only car hence why I have not rushed to get it fixed and have been able to take my time and source reasonably priced parts.

Previously...

0 0 0

10. Re: Radiator and Aircon Fans Not Working 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    All sorted now. Both fans replaced with a second hand complete fan assembly that I found on ebay for a very reasonable £50. Beats paying £253 for one fan!

Previously...

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast