Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Howdy chaps,

It's been a while, been moving house from north to south so busy busy. Check this out. Was a nice pop yesterday followed by enough smoke to hide a battlefield.

Just stopped it going runaway by the skin of my teeth. As I crept around the corner in idle, it started revving.... got to around 1700rpm. Thankfully I reacted and turned key off instantly. It dwindled at 1700 then dropped after 3-4 seconds and shut off. Took several minutes for the smoke to clear... I was prepping myself to tear engine cover off and hold anti shudder shut lol. Oh dear..

I'm either at London Turbos which have several good reviews or TurboJetzt from car parts4less. That's my budget for the old girl ATM to get her through to next year when I've finished building a new engine for her.

Any comments on either of the above Turbo reman makes?

TIA

Aidan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 0 0

2. Re: Been a while... Ta-Daa 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Interesting, I don't know much about turbo failure modes, so would you care to explain what happened and why it started to run away and what you did to stop it. Hopefully I will never need this knowledge..!!

0 0 0

3. Re: Been a while... Ta-Daa 
    From - Walney Island, Cumbria, Live in: Larkhill, Wiltshire
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrPassat02 View Post
    Interesting, I don't know much about turbo failure modes, so would you care to explain what happened and why it started to run away and what you did to stop it. Hopefully I will never need this knowledge..!!
    Of course I put my foot down to overtake someone. Around 3200rpm there was a small "POP" followed by powerless and more smoke than something smokey I guess haha. So I coasted back into inside lane and turned off at the next roundabout where I managed to get off the road and shut the car off. Turns out the shaft had snapped in the turbo. :/

Runaway-

The principle of a Diesel engine is that it requires compression. Fuel and air. Nothing more.

When the turbo failed, the oil seals were obviously compromised between the shaft housing and the turbine/compressor casings. The engine feeds these with pressurised oil to lubricate the turbo at all times.

When the oil seal fails for whatever reason, in my case a snapped shaft, it spills into the induction system of the engine. This becomes dangerous as the engine effectively runs on its own oil which is unregulated. The faster the engine runs, the more oil it pumps into the intake. The more oil it feeds, the faster it runs. The only way to stop it is shut off the air or sacrifice your DMF and drop the clutch in 5th with the brakes pressed. Otherwise. It will run faste and faster until it runs out of engine oil and seizes up at thousands of rpm more than it was designed to run at.

I got lucky. Very lucky. Cutting the fuel supply of diesel when I turned off the ignition at the time that I did must have just been enough to starve it coupled with the fact it had blown off
    The turbo outlet hose.

Ouch.

Hope this helps bud.

Not sure why yet. When I know, I'll tell lol.

Aidan.

0 0 0

4. Re: Been a while... Ta-Daa 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Thanks for the explanation. One more question What is the anti shudder valve? Good luck with the repair btw.

0 0 0

5. Re: Been a while... Ta-Daa 
    From - Walney Island, Cumbria, Live in: Larkhill, Wiltshire
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    It's a little black diaphragm operated lever on the side of the EGR valve. It operates a flap which shuts off airflow to the engine at the manifold. Idea being it's supposed to smooth it out when you shut the ignition off. If you hold it shut manually, it'll stall the engine.

0 0 0

6. Re: Been a while... Ta-Daa 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    308 Post(s)
    One very good reason not to get a full Darkside / Allard EGR delete .

1 1 0