Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fest0r View Post
    When you say they were all good, do you mean they were at the official figures?
    Yes, give or take a few single digits.

0 0 0

2. Re: Bluefin 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    235 Post(s)
    A6S, I personally wouldn’t risk it unless there was some way to only raise the bhp. Before you even think about it I would get a session on a dyno to get a rough idea what you have already. It would also stop me pestering you to get it done
    The remap is the reason I want to head to the dyno😄

0 0 0

3. Re: Bluefin 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    You might be at (or over) the rating for the box already.

0 0 0

4. Re: Bluefin 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    235 Post(s)
    You might be at (or over) the rating for the box already.
    The factory figures (580nm)are over already I think. Read a tech article saying the ob5 box is rated at 550nm at 9000rpm. Would think if it's already over the ob5 specs that Audi would have reinforced it somewhere😄
    The thing is how often are you gonna be driving at max revs/power/full throttle? Majority of the time I will be cruising or trundling around town with the occasional sprited drive. So the majority of the time it won't even hit the factory peak figures let alone the remapped figures.
    You would hope that in this digital age the box is smart enough to shut down if it's overheating or if it's not happy with something. Not sure what will break first, the clutch plates worn or the actual gears, neither is cheap.

0 0 0

5. Re: Bluefin 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    From what I remember, the 245/272 has the latest DL501 box… rated to a max of 600nm. I think the first version was 550nm… could easily be wrong though. I’ll have a look later if nobody can confirm.

0 0 0

6. Re: Bluefin 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    235 Post(s)
    the abt tune is rated at 640nm so less than 10% above the max 600.
    My other thinking in the box strength is the A6 is rated to tow around 2 ton. Surely if I was to tow a 2 ton load on top of the 2 ton car that would put a crap load more stress on the gearbox/clutch plates than me tuning it to 640nm, even 700nm ,and giving it the welly now and again.
    I could be wrong but I'm no engineer, it's all just numbers to me.

0 0 0

7. Re: Bluefin 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    Can’t really see anything official/definitive, but here are the ratings from the wiki:

Direct-shift gearbox - Wikipedia

A few other sites list the DL501 as 440 ft lb (597nm).

Image1.jpg

0 0 0

8. Re: Bluefin 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    235 Post(s)
    Can’t really see anything official/definitive, but here are the ratings from the wiki:

Direct-shift gearbox - Wikipedia

A few other sites list the DL501 as 440 ft lb (597nm).

Image1.jpg
    Good find👍🏼
    Better a find a dyno and get a run now.

0 1 0

9. Re: Bluefin 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by A6S View Post
    the abt tune is rated at 640nm so less than 10% above the max 600.
    My other thinking in the box strength is the A6 is rated to tow around 2 ton. Surely if I was to tow a 2 ton load on top of the 2 ton car that would put a crap load more stress on the gearbox/clutch plates than me tuning it to 640nm, even 700nm ,and giving it the welly now and again.
    I could be wrong but I'm no engineer, it's all just numbers to me.
    I am afraid that you are right, you are no engineer! Regardless of the towing load, the maximum torque being fed through the box is dictated by the engine. It is input torque (from the engine) that will damage the'box. The maximum towing capacity is as more about tyres, suspension and brakes than engine power. My RS6 has only a marginally higher towing capacity than a 2.0 litre A6 - and that is despite bigger brakes, air suspension and 4WD.

Sure, towing stresses a 'box - it is likely to get much hotter (properly prepared towing cars have additional oil coolers for the gearbox - MB fit them when you spec a tow bar, but I don't know if Audi does), and the engine will be feeding more torque and power through the box than it would on an equivalent journey without the trailer, but the gearbox is fundamentally up to the task of towing.

Expanding out on the OP's topic of a tuning box, some gearboxes (including the ZF 8-speed - maybe other Audi boxes, too, I don't know) can measure and store data on when they are being over-torqued (by a tune, for example). This data can - and has been - used in warranty claims to reject a vehicle repair, so, if an owner fits a tuning box, they should be prepared for the possibility of a TD1 flag and / or a rejected warranty claim. I understand that the main ECU also shows trace data of where a tuning box has been fitted even after it has been removed for a dealer visit, but I have no direct experience of this through my work.

My personal feeling is you would have to be insane to fit a tuning box to a car that is under warranty now that ECUs are so sophisticated and knowing that vehicles with engine and gearbox failures are now examined minutely for signs of chipping by Audi, but I am aware cases of rejected warranty claims and TD1s being issued so I am naturally cautious.

0 1 0

10. Re: Bluefin 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    235 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wildbore View Post
    I am afraid that you are right, you are no engineer! Regardless of the towing load, the maximum torque being fed through the box is dictated by the engine. It is input torque (from the engine) that will damage the'box. The maximum towing capacity is as more about tyres, suspension and brakes than engine power. My RS6 has only a marginally higher towing capacity than a 2.0 litre A6 - and that is despite bigger brakes, air suspension and 4WD.

Sure, towing stresses a 'box - it is likely to get much hotter (properly prepared towing cars have additional oil coolers for the gearbox - MB fit them when you spec a tow bar, but I don't know if Audi does), and the engine will be feeding more torque and power through the box than it would on an equivalent journey without the trailer, but the gearbox is fundamentally up to the task of towing.

Expanding out on the OP's topic of a tuning box, some gearboxes (including the ZF 8-speed - maybe other Audi boxes, too, I don't know) can measure and store data on when they are being over-torqued (by a tune, for example). This data can - and has been - used in warranty claims to reject a vehicle repair, so, if an owner fits a tuning box, they should be prepared for the possibility of a TD1 flag and / or a rejected warranty claim. I understand that the main ECU also shows trace data of where a tuning box has been fitted even after it has been removed for a dealer visit, but I have no direct experience of this through my work.

My personal feeling is you would have to be insane to fit a tuning box to a car that is under warranty now that ECUs are so sophisticated and knowing that vehicles with engine and gearbox failures are now examined minutely for signs of chipping by Audi, but I am aware cases of rejected warranty claims and TD1s being issued so I am naturally cautious.
    I'm an accountant so it's all numbers to me, small numbers at that😄
    But in a way the box should still handle it.
    Me towing a big load constantly applying 580nm of torque for continuous long period like driving uphill over me applying 650 of torque for like 20-30 seconds a time for overtaking and lightly spirited drive can't be that much different on the stress on the box. Things like clutch packs/plates should be worse off with me towing than me doing spirited driving.
    Warranty is up soon ish anyway so not too worried about that for now. Might have a new car before then but looking at options. Like many here we are car enthusiasts and like messing about with things.

0 0 0

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast