1. A6 Ambient Lighting Retrofit 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Couldn't find a good guide anywhere to retrofit ambient lighting in door cards so thought id make one.
    Parts are all available from dealer and it works out about £110 for the 4 doors.
    This retrofit can be done without vcds, and so no coding is required. Brightness is controlled via knob on light switch panel.

Parts needed -
    Driver door: 4G0919174A, 4G0947355C, 8W0971832
    Passenger door: 4G0919173A, 4G0947355B, 8W0971832
    Rear right door: 4G0919178A, 4G0947355C, 8W0971832
    Rear left door: 4G0919177A, 4G0947355B, 8W0971832

For the wiring you will need 2x 000979009E, they come in packs of 5.

You will also need T25 screwdriver, trim tools, flathead screwdriver, heat shrink tubing, insulating tape, something sharp to cut wires.
    Optional things would be cloth tape to give oem look and stop wires from rattling inside door and would definitely recommend some spare door clips as some tend to break when taking door card off.

1.jpg

Start by prying off trim and speaker cover to reveal 2 screws, final screw is located under handle.

14.jpg13.jpg

Once screws are removed there is a tab you need to press, as shown in the picture, which undoes a clip inside the door. Then use a trim tool to pry door card off. Some clips can be really reluctant to come off, best thing to do is use trim tool to pry door card off enough to get your fingers under and pull. You will need to roll down the window, then push up to slide the door card off.

17.jpg18.jpg

Once door card is removed, unplug connector from door module and disconnect wire from door handle. The door card should now come off completely.

11.jpg12.jpg

There is a small gap that you slide the end of the light bar through, then push each of the clips into their slots, you should not be able to see the light bar at all when clipped in, if you can you haven't pushed it in enough.

8.jpg7.jpg

Now to the wiring: You will need 2 wires for each door. Mark one wire with tape at each end, so you can identify this as your ground wire. Strip one end of each wire and twist the end.
    Plug the other end of each wire into the connector. The ground wire (with the tape on) goes into plug 1 on the connector. Once this is done you can tape up with cloth tape.

9.jpg

You are going to tap into the wires for the door handle led so remove the connector, then remove wires from connector. To remove the wires the top of the connector slides off, then use the flatheaded screwdriver to release wire from connector. Strip part of the cable to reveal wire, use the screwdriver to part the wires in the middle. One wire will be solid brown, this is the wire you will put your ground wire through.

6.jpg5.jpg

Slide your wire through and twist round. Do the same with live wire. Then slide heat shrink tubing over and heat up to seal cable. Put wires back into connector, brown wire goes to plug 1 on connector. then connect back up to door handle led.

4.jpg3.jpg

Now plug the other end of your wiring to the led and then attach your led to the light bar. There is a small clip on led that goes into a slot and secures it to the door card.
    Connect everything back up, take care to make sure wire for door handle is put back properly.

2.jpg16.jpg

Each door will take about 30mins, takes very little effort, I am a complete novice at wiring and found this pretty easy.
    I will be doing ambient lights in centre console soon so will do a guide for that too.

1 7 0

2. Re: A6 Ambient Lighting Retrofit 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)
    I wondered what ambient lighting was.....but I know I've got 2 small LEDs in my interior light and I have the red light bars in my door handles....so I'm guess that's it.

I didn't realise the variable brightness control also controlled the ambient lighting.....I wondered.....Is it possible to brighten the small light bars in the door handles a bit without the dash becoming too bright and distracting? Can they be independently controlled?
    A6 C7 Saloon 3.0Tdi Quattro S Line | 242bhp | Quartz Grey
    2016 Triumph Street Triple | 106bhp | Pearl White
    VCDS owner - Lanarkshire Area. PM Me if you need help.

1 0 0

3. Re: A6 Ambient Lighting Retrofit 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Ambient lighting includes the light bars in door cards and pockets along with the centre console. If you have it from factory you control it in the mmi.
    Because you tap into wires for door handle lights for this retrofit it makes it possible to dim them like you'd dim the other interior lights. Whether you can brighten the door handle lights.. I'm not sure, maybe with vcds?

0 0 0

4. Re: A6 Ambient Lighting Retrofit 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    235 Post(s)
    That's a good effort.
    Are you planning to fit the illuminated sill/kickplates? Would love to see how they are wired up. I have the lighting pack and the only thing missing is the illuminated kick plate from the ambient pack.

0 0 0

5. Re: A6 Ambient Lighting Retrofit 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by a6duke View Post
    Ambient lighting includes the light bars in door cards and pockets along with the centre console. If you have it from factory you control it in the mmi.
    Because you tap into wires for door handle lights for this retrofit it makes it possible to dim them like you'd dim the other interior lights. Whether you can brighten the door handle lights.. I'm not sure, maybe with vcds?
    Yeah....fitted from factory.
    I'll search through mmi and I also have vcds so I'll see what I can find out regarding that...cheers

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    A6 C7 Saloon 3.0Tdi Quattro S Line | 242bhp | Quartz Grey
    2016 Triumph Street Triple | 106bhp | Pearl White
    VCDS owner - Lanarkshire Area. PM Me if you need help.

0 0 0

6. Re: A6 Ambient Lighting Retrofit 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi! Did you fit ambient lights in the central console?

0 1 0

7. Re: A6 Ambient Lighting Retrofit 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Where do you recommend buying the parts from? I can’t seem to find them available anywhere?

0 0 0

8. Re: A6 Ambient Lighting Retrofit 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    69 Post(s)
    I just priced the parts with my local dealer. It’s 114euro. I think ill give it a shot! I may as well fit rear door warning lights once i have the side boards out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    current: 2019 A6 S-Line 40 TDI Avant (de-chromed)
    sold: 2015 A6 S-line Black Edition 2.0 TDI ULTRA
    MODs: CarPlay with RMC, Ambient Lighting

0 0 0

9. Re: A6 Ambient Lighting Retrofit 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    69 Post(s)
    I got all the parts and attempted the installation. I have completed the front doors and will do rear doors tomorrow. I started from the passenger front as a sandbox and unfortunately broke one of the plastic strips. I’ll check later on if you can notice that during the night.

Ps: by reversing the wires you can change the led colour to red. I connected them to light red. I think it will match interior colours better. I’ll take pictures and post them here later on.

0 3 0

10. Re: A6 Ambient Lighting Retrofit 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    69 Post(s)
    Here is the driver door

0 3 0

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast