Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hello
    *Sorry for long post, please take time to read and help me though*

Recently had my eyes on a new car, I have always wanted a Golf, initially I was looking at a MK5 GTI.. due to fuel consumption costs and tax price I decided against the GTI and I discovered the GT TSI of the MK6 was only a little over my budget, nearly as fast and better fuel consumption with cheaper tax and cheaper insurance.

Began hunting for said car, luckily I had found one at a local car garage down the road.. The exact car, was very nice. Test drove it, loved it. Paid deposit as had to wait for funds to come through. Next day went again to show girlfriend, another test drive. She was impressed, very nice car.

Friend of mine works at Legit VW garage and is quite high up, he pulled a full history check that VW log of everything done to vehicles, he said its history is flawless, looks like a little gem and recommended I buy it (No custom to him at all so wasnt trying to get a sale out of me).

Day came and I collected the car. It is a RAC Approved garage so they have to go through RAC Inspections, new services and new MOT's, comes with 6 months platinum warranty and 12 months breakdown.

1st Day of driving I was very happy but a little unsure about the little bit of vapour I could see coming out the rear...... I asked many people about this and majority were telling me it has probably just been sitting a while and needs a good drive to clean it out........ So taking the advice on board, after work I went the long way home and gave it a good drive...... After 15 minutes it started whistling..... Then loss of power....... Turbo had blown!!!!!!! First day I had it, not even 12 hours.... turbo blown!

RAC come out confirmed its turbo, took it back to garage and it is getting replaced... but because of this I feel abit uneasy about it... I love the car to bits and I want to keep it and hope its my perfect little ride but after reading the internet I have found too much negative comments about it that has me feeling unsettled..... I do know that people only complain on the internet, not many people bother to go online and compliment things they enjoy, only usually to complain so I am aware that you are going to find majority of negatives not positives... but still has me feeling concerned..... I want some advice and opinions

0 0 0

2. Re: 2009 MK6 Golf GT TSI 1.4 160 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1837 Post(s)
    How many miles and how many oil changes? This sort of failure is known when a car has done a lot of miles between oil changes and the official VW oil change regime is disastrous with petrol turbo engines. When the car gets a fill of good oil (maybe even a flush, ask the garage) all the crap stuck inside the engine falls off into the sump and blocks the tea strainer oil pick up, the first casualty is always the turbo.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

3. Re: 2009 MK6 Golf GT TSI 1.4 160 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi
    It is on 85000 miles, it has great history as it has been serviced every single year, probably oil changed every time (I could check in the log book to be sure when I get home).
    As mentioned it was serviced only days before I got the keys as well, which included an oil change too

0 0 0

4. Re: 2009 MK6 Golf GT TSI 1.4 160 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1837 Post(s)
    It would help if you could find exactly how many oil changes it had in those 85k, that last oil change may have released debris. I would insist on the sump coming off to check for sludge.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

5. Re: 2009 MK6 Golf GT TSI 1.4 160 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Oil change service:
    Jan/2011
    June/2011
    April/2013
    Feb/2014
    March/2015
    June/2016
    July/2017

It says Long Life engine oil was used in:
    April/2013
    Feb/2014
    May/2015

0 0 0

6. Re: 2009 MK6 Golf GT TSI 1.4 160 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    What exactly are you getting at with the oil and the sludge?
    I mean the turbo has already blown, confirmed today by the RAC breakdown guy, cars at the garage now getting fixed for tomorrow hopefully.
    What I suppose I am basically asking is, from the info that I have told you, should this car be OK after the turbo is fitted (Seeing as everything else was fine - RAC Inspection, Serviced, MOT) only the thing they couldnt check is what had a problem, so hopefully with new turbo it should be fine now.... That is the hope but thats what I was hoping for the comments on, just not fully understanding what exactly you are referring to and why, though I am not much of a car person at all so forgive me for that
    Thanks again

0 0 0

7. Re: 2009 MK6 Golf GT TSI 1.4 160 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1837 Post(s)
    Not at all bad, there could be one or two spots there where 9300 miles have been exceeded on non longlife. If the turbo is damaged, it would make sense to find out in what way and that will probably point to oil starvation. Still, I would drop the sump to check for sludge.

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

8. Re: 2009 MK6 Golf GT TSI 1.4 160 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I think I am understanding your point. Are you trying to figure out what caused the turbo to blow, and to prevent the new one blowing? i.e Sludge in the sump ( I have no idea what that is btw )

0 0 0

9. Re: 2009 MK6 Golf GT TSI 1.4 160 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I was driving it and it started making this noise whenever I had my put on the acceleration What a blown turbo sounds like - YouTube
    Lasted no longer than 5 minutes until that noise stopped... Now it just sounds like air blowing? Significant loss in power, tonnes of smoke..... Turbo = 100% knackered

0 0 0

10. Re: 2009 MK6 Golf GT TSI 1.4 160 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1837 Post(s)
    Turbo's don't blow, they get damaged by FOD injestion or a lack of lubrication. Sludge forms in the sump when oil gets old, this is especially a problem with highly strung petrol turbo engines where the turbo is subject to intense heat not only when running but also after shut down. The oil gets fried and then forms a deposit in the sump which sticks, this builds up until a sludge is formed which blocks the oil pump pick up, next thing is a fubared turbo. These down sized highly boosted engines are a disaster waiting to happen, people won't fix them and the cars will get scrapped at a decade old or bodged and traded, not a good idea for the environment or the trade. Next to very regular oil changes (I do my 1.8T every 5k) is the old principle from the seventies of letting the turbo slow down and cool down after a run, what I call "spool and cool". When a turbo is at full chat, it can reach 200000 rpm (yes, 200 thousand) and the exhaust housing can be over 1000 degrees, so hot that the cast iron is almost translucent, literally white hot, this places incredible strain on the oil and quickly ruins its properties. In my car I use Longlife oil and as I said, change it every 5k. I bought my Octavia VRS at three years old with a wrecked engine and turbo for scrap money, the cause was oil sludge in the sump. The chap I bought it from had paid £8k for it four weeks earlier and when I say scrap money, I mean scrap money. It cost me £7k to get it back on the road and that is parts at cost, no labour, no profit and no VAT.

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast