1. Re: Time to change out my old trusty B7 - thoughts 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Finally received confirmation with an order number from Audi today........now the wait

0 0 0

2. Re: Time to change out my old trusty B7 - thoughts 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishermandan View Post
    The only reason that diesels became popular was because ill-educated politicians misunderstood scientific evidence and decided to massively incentivise the development of diesel engines. After 20-plus years, and tens of billions of euros/dollars/pounds of investment, modern diesels are just about OK compared to petrol equivalents. However, now eveyone has admitted that diesel emissions cause harm to people much more immediately than petrol, there is now no point in powering cars with diesel.

Diesel cars are boring, harsh, choke people and sound like Soviet-era tractors.

Petrol cars are mostly boring too, but at least they only choke people a bit, and the good ones are tuned to make a sound like God inhaling a Cohiba!...

New to the forum - I trust that's not too over the top?

Ha - and that's me after just 2 beers!...
    Ha
    Facts ??
    Ill educated politicians? Hardly, a sizeable proportion went to Oxbridge, most have a degree. They got a good education but are seriously ill-informed. In their defense they were railroaded into catalysts in 1992 just as lean-burn technology was emerging and got their fingers burnt so did help with diesel tech with tax incentives etc in the hope that something better would emerge froim the Boffins. On the face of it a 40% efficient engine would, at first glance, seem to be a better proposition than a 33% engine. Save the fossil fuels if nothing else. As for investment, petrol engines have had an equal amount of money spent by the big manufacturers, and are all the better for that.
    Everyone has admitted Diesel emissions cause harm?? Not really, they have discovered over the past 20 years and tried to reduce the harmful NOx. The issue is with false claims, nothing to do with governments at all, unless we blame the EU for approving such lame tests.

Boring harsh and tractor-like, rather contradicts both your para 1 and the 20 years trying to make them OK compared to petrol equivalents!!
    My B9 3.0 TDI is certainly not boring, not harsh and doesn't even sound like a 90's Peugeot diesel never mind soviet era tractor! It does choke people though only because the manufacturers cheated and the tests are crap! Having said that, compare it to a 1990 car, petrol or diesel and it's orders of magnitude cleaner, even in real conditions. Progress?
    Petrol cars, neh all cars are becoming boring, I do agree there but as they are all designed with the same Intel chip it's hardly surprising! Good ones sound amazing? Just walked home as a BMW M4 passed me going down a hill on over-run. Sounded more like an epileptic on a rifle range. Not boring I admit but unpleasant. Having just come from BMW land I can say the driver probably couldn't hear it over his tyre and wind noise!!

Rant over thanks, back in the garden now.

0 0 0

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12