Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    2012 2.0 quattro 23k miles
    rear diff failed
    haldex pump replaced 300 miles ago. I hope the diff was not drained by mistake.
    need to check oil volume in diff

please advise how much oil should be in the rear diff only (ie nothing to do with haldex)
    i am staring at at a £5000 (yes 5k) bill

if diff full then audi need to contribute to low mileage failure
    if diff drained instead of haldex and never filled then we have a different discussion

so to recap, How much oil should I exoect to drain out when we check the seized diff
    thanks

0 0 0

2. Re: rear Diff failure 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    We have replaced a lot of rear Haldex units on PQ35 4wd platform cars such as TTRS and Golf R but we have never seen the diff fail, the capacity is around 1 litre.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

3. Re: rear Diff failure 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for that so am i right in saying that the haldex is about 1 litre and the diff is also 1 litre.

apparently the diffs are robust but if they drained the diff by mistake instead of the haldex whilst changing haldex pump the diff would never have been refilled and has been running empty for 300 miles
    we need to drain the diff (hence the need for volume)
    if there is no oil in there and no sign of a leak then the diff must have been mistakenly drained.( a mistake made as the two drain plugs are close together)
    i shall know in the next few days

0 0 0

4. Re: rear Diff failure 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    It could happen if you did not take care, the two oils are different and separate but the drains close together and the inexperienced could mistakenly think the two units take the same oil. If the diff drains less than 100ml or so then it's pretty conclusive what happened. Many years ago I had a box delivered to install, I assumed it was filled with oil, it wasn't, I was a trifle annoyed when it disintegrated....
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

5. Re: rear Diff failure 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)
    Get the company who replaced the haldex pump to check, and measure the oil, whilst you're observing.

Ian
    A4 B6 Avant Nogaro Blue

0 0 0

6. Re: rear Diff failure 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rowdy-999 View Post
    Get the company who replaced the haldex pump to check, and measure the oil, whilst you're observing.
    Thanks for that. Bit complex. The issue is, if the diff is dry the indy, who replaced the haldex pump, has made a mistake (something that i understand others have done all too easily. But if there is oil in the diff, it has failed prematurely at 23k and audi uk will be making a big contribution towards its repkacement (i trust!) . For this though a main dealer would need to do the inspection. He and the indy have agreed that i film the inspection being done so we can all agree what the problem is

0 1 0

7. Re: rear Diff failure 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The diff had indeed been drained by mistake causing it to fail. The garage responsible has been helpful throughout and has paid the main dealer to replace the entire rear drive assembly (you have to buy diff and haldex complete). It cost a few thousand pounds but the car is once again back in use.

0 1 0

8. Re: rear Diff failure 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    Ouch... they won't make that mistake again.

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0