1. Why I do stuff myself. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    I usually do as much as I can, no.1 is obviously to save some of my hard earns cash, the other, as a fully indentured skilled aircraft fitter/component,system test engineer I know a thing or two about mechanical stuff, plus my dad was the first person ever to successfully rebuild an NSU RO80 engine in the early 70's, these were twin rotor wankel engines.

So, booked car in to have the coolant housing replaced as it was weeping, did not have the time to do it myself and off on hols soon.

picked up car and drove for several miles with a smell of oil/engine fumes.

arrived home and had a look only to find a completely broken crankcase ventilation housing, so just spent the last 2 hours replacing this, and what an awkward job too. But I know it's been done right.

i know these become brittle with age as I replaced my cab one two years ago, but surely the mechanic must have known he had broken this.

Rant over, back into the garage to finish the job.

0 1 0

2. Re: Why I do stuff myself. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    39 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rhencullen1989 View Post
    I usually do as much as I can, no.1 is obviously to save some of my hard earns cash, the other, as a fully indentured skilled aircraft fitter/component,system test engineer I know a thing or two about mechanical stuff, plus my dad was the first person ever to successfully rebuild an NSU RO80 engine in the early 70's, these were twin rotor wankel engines.

So, booked car in to have the coolant housing replaced as it was weeping, did not have the time to do it myself and off on hols soon.

picked up car and drove for several miles with a smell of oil/engine fumes.

arrived home and had a look only to find a completely broken crankcase ventilation housing, so just spent the last 2 hours replacing this, and what an awkward job too. But I know it's been done right.

i know these become brittle with age as I replaced my cab one two years ago, but surely the mechanic must have known he had broken this.

Rant over, back into the garage to finish the job.
    Moral of the story, you should've done it yourself.
    I think those crankcase breathers are made of chocolate, it's time someone made an alloy one.
    Two hours, what car?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 0 0

3. Re: Why I do stuff myself. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    A4 1.8T Quattro S line BEX code, the housing had snapped at both ends, leaving the metal parts in both the crankcase and the connecting pipe, had to use a dremmel with a grinding attachment to get the one time fit clip off, struggled trying to pull the remains out the crankcase as just no room, anyway all done and food to go.

0 0 0

4. Re: Why I do stuff myself. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    "Good to go" although food to go does sound rather good at the moment!

0 0 0

5. Re: Why I do stuff myself. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    39 Post(s)
    The way I deal with that is, intercooler pipe off, throttle body off, inlet manifold support bar off, this gives you enough room to work in there. One question, when you had the coolant housing replaced, are you sure it was that leaking as there is a "J plug" behind it and it's simply a blank for the rear of the water pump and made of the same plastic crap.

If fits on the right side of the coolant housing and bolts onto the block next to the knock sensor, now that's a pain to change!

p.s. did you have a Passat before, I think I remember you from another forum?

0 0 0

6. Re: Why I do stuff myself. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    I replaced that "J" plug a couple of years ago when I did the cam belt, water pump and thermostat.

The coolant housing I am on about is the one at the rear of the engine where the 4 pin green coolant temp sensor fits in, this was what the garage replaced on Friday.

i am sure when I did my cabriolet crankcase breather plastic housing a couple of years ago it was not as tight to do as this one was, but just been out for a drive and the smell has gone, in fact I sprayed some aftershave on the pollen filter so it smells of Dior!

0 0 0

7. Re: Why I do stuff myself. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    39 Post(s)
    I replaced that "J" plug a couple of years ago when I did the cam belt, water pump and thermostat.

The coolant housing I am on about is the one at the rear of the engine where the 4 pin green coolant temp sensor fits in, this was what the garage replaced on Friday.

i am sure when I did my cabriolet crankcase breather plastic housing a couple of years ago it was not as tight to do as this one was, but just been out for a drive and the smell has gone, in fact I sprayed some aftershave on the pollen filter so it smells of Dior!
    Ah, the rear coolant flange, a favourite. I checked mine when I changed the head and head gasket. Yeah crankcase breather is a breeze compared to that, not difficult per se just a lot of stuff to remove to get room to work.

0 0 0

8. Re: Why I do stuff myself. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    Calum, no i did not have a passat, although i do use another Audi forum occasionally. (did go to the dark side a couple of years ago and had a focus st, although still had the quattro as well)

Have you ever done the engine mounts, no one has got back to my post from yesterday yet! its a job i want to tackle when we get back from hollibobs.

0 0 0

9. Re: Why I do stuff myself. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    39 Post(s)
    Calum, no i did not have a passat, although i do use another Audi forum occasionally. (did go to the dark side a couple of years ago and had a focus st, although still had the quattro as well)

Have you ever done the engine mounts, no one has got back to my post from yesterday yet! its a job i want to tackle when we get back from hollibobs.
    Only from the bottom to raise the engine but I can't think of anything that would make it difficult. If memory serves, it's a 13 mm nut top and bottom. If you take the coolant reservoir out you'll get a good look at the passenger side. Drivers side will be more difficult with starter motor and turbo there but it must be possible.

0 1 0