Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Hi all,

Anyone ever had or heard of this issue? My fan (near side) has cut into my lower coolant hose that goes to the electric auxiliary pump.

Discovered a big puddle under the car when leaving the pub after dinner earlier and used 5 pints just getting home 8 miles...

It looks to me, and I've never looked at them closely before, that the near side fan is about 5mm proud in comparison to the off side fan. It's made contact with the hose and worn a gouge into it.

So, new hose needed obviously but need to either remove, modify or fix the fan to make it sit flush in the cowling, like I assume it once did.

Pics below aren't great I'm afraid but any advice or suggestions welcome. Need to go to work Monday!

Right now I'm considering trimming each blade by an inch and removing the outer circle. That's pretty permanent though and I'd have to put a new one in if I did that...

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

0 0 0

2. Re: Coolant hose cut by fan.... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Got the fan assembly off now and I'm well ****** off! It's gouged my boost pipe too. ££ racking up....

You can see how proud it is on the other pic.

0 0 0

3. Re: Coolant hose cut by fan.... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    104 Post(s)
    Is the fan coming loose then, is that how its worked back into the hoses?

0 0 0

4. Re: Coolant hose cut by fan.... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    That's how it appears. Doesn't feel loose and can't pull it off/ further out by hand.

At the moment it's still my working hypothesis - and less worrying then the engine has moved forwards...

0 0 0

5. Re: Coolant hose cut by fan.... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Update: it's not the fan coming loose, there were two engine/gearbox mounts not bolted up which allowed the engine to move forwards, making contact between hoses/pipes and fan.

Terrible thing to discover when you've done 5000 miles in two months and drive the kids everywhere.

The main thing is it's all repairable. Leaking parts found and bought on eBay, new bolts tomorrow from Webster's.

0 0 0

6. Re: Coolant hose cut by fan.... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    104 Post(s)
    Well spotted! How do you reckon they came loose?

0 0 0

7. Re: Coolant hose cut by fan.... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Looks like it's had a gearbox, it's cleaner than everything else! Someone didn't pay attention to torquing up the mount bolts properly.

0 0 0

8. Re: Coolant hose cut by fan.... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    A final update on this. After messing around buying damaged second hand hoses on ebay and trawling every fastener shop in a 20 mile radius for the correct bolts - unsuccessfully, I ended up getting everything I needed from Corkills, the main dealer.

15 quid for everything and they had them in stock!

I'll try them first next time. New hose fitted and proper bolts, torqued and loctited. Done 30,000 on it since with no issues.

0 0 0

9. Re: Coolant hose cut by fan.... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    The reason they came loose is likely to be that they were not replaced when the box was fitted, they are all one time only torque to yield bolts which is why the dealer stocked them, we have to keep a huge range of common bolts as not having what you need can stop you in your tracks for days. On Wednesday we did a cam belt on a Golf 6 TDI and found the mount to consul bolts were loose and the mount and consul were both damaged from rubbing, it MUST have been making a noise but the owner never mentioned it.

I went through them once for a stock check and I estimated we had £10k worth and these pics were ten years ago...

Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

10. Re: Coolant hose cut by fan.... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Cool