Notices

User Tag List

Thread: a4qa 2.0tdi 177 - dash warning "steering fault - do not drive" + no power assistance

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. a4qa 2.0tdi 177 - dash warning "steering fault - do not drive" + no power assistance 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    as subject, I was moving out from the kerb and stalled, might have pushed the key to restart while turning steering toward full lock... I was a bit panicked because someone had just driven past and whalloped my mirror so I was going to turn round and get after them. when engine restarted, red steering wheel lamp and "steering fault - do not drive" type messages.

I've driven it home with no power assist, checked all fuses at each end of the dash, I cant see which one is the power steering one at the "+" panel at the bulkhead, it seems it might not be visible although I thought it would be one of the bolt on strip ones there.

I've no scanning software except torque-lite and an ELM bluetooth obd2 so I could upgrade or get a different app if it can access/scan further systems

Torque lite doesnt show any fault codes at the moment.

I'm thinking of trying the rest of the fuses, and disconnecting the battery maybe... ?

I'm in chester and need the car for work so appreciate any assistance (happy to pay for skills/scans etc... need it fixed)

lee lee.tanczos@gmail.com

o7753

0 0 0

2. Re: a4qa 2.0tdi 177 - dash warning "steering fault - do not drive" + no power assistance 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)
    Have you checked the auxiliary belt. It might have snapped.
    NOW GONE 2007 A6 2.7TDi Avant Le Mans Edition (180)

Mods:- ECU Remap, Rear Air Suspension, Rear Led Lights, Rear View Camera, Rear Privacy Glass, Titanium wheels, Colour Coded Fog Light Surrounds, FBMFSW, AMI, DAB, Chrome S6 pedals, Front Grille De-chrome, window surround de-chrome.

0 0 0

3. Re: a4qa 2.0tdi 177 - dash warning "steering fault - do not drive" + no power assistance 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I didn't actually, but I think this car is electric power steering?

0 0 0

4. Re: a4qa 2.0tdi 177 - dash warning "steering fault - do not drive" + no power assistance 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I'm thinking of looking for codes with torque pro. and then disconnecting the battery for a bit.....

0 0 0

5. Re: a4qa 2.0tdi 177 - dash warning "steering fault - do not drive" + no power assistance 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    nowt from torque. 2.95 bargain though.

battery leads off right now... wait and see. will give it some hours as suggested by some threads.

0 0 0

6. Re: a4qa 2.0tdi 177 - dash warning "steering fault - do not drive" + no power assistance 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    i guess it might need re-learning its settings #if# it comes back...

(Hello RichardSEL!! remember you from ukpassats forum)

Quote Originally Posted by RichardSEL View Post
    If you don't have VCDS, then can only suggest you disconnect battery both terminals. Then connect the leads together so to zero any outstanding voltage. Then connect battery again, and start engine. Try again my post in message #16.

If that doesn't work to switch off the red steering warning on dash, do this (from VCDS help site fault 02546)

• Make sure the Ignition is ON and the Engine is Running.
    • Center Steering Wheel (10) and hold it centered for about 5 Seconds.
    • Turn Steering Wheel completely to the Left and hold there for about 2 Seconds.
    • Turn Steering Wheel completely to the Right and hold there for about 2 Seconds.
    • Center Steering Wheel (10).
    • Switch Engine and Ignition OFF. Wait one minute
    • Switch Ignition ON.
    • Wait about 5 Seconds.
    • Steering Assist Warning Lamp should turn OFF (If it doesn't, perform a short Test Drive).

If that doesn't work then post your VCDS Autoscan so that others with knowledge can see what modules you have and their settings. Many USA forums ( e.g. PassatWorld and VWVortex) have lists of VCDS owners that are willing to help out locally.
    See their lists for one near you?

Hope that helps...

0 0 0

7. Re: a4qa 2.0tdi 177 - dash warning "steering fault - do not drive" + no power assistance 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    nothing changed except decluttered the boot to get to the battery.

I'm worried it will be a new rack needed probably then, boo hoo.

0 0 0

8. Re: a4qa 2.0tdi 177 - dash warning "steering fault - do not drive" + no power assistance 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    64 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeTanczos View Post
    new rack needed probably then, boo hoo.
    This might be final result yes, did you cleared errors any of those was related to no comms with address 44 etc, there is tsb also for this!
    A48K5 2008 Retrofits: FL Taillights, Bixenon, Color Cluster & FL S5 Cluster, ADS with button, MMI 3G & 3G+(With Street view) Other Stuff: Ecu tune, Front bumper valance "Rieger look", Sideskirts, VCDS mod, Interior leds, Basic sound to Audi SS + B/O sub/tweeters+activsub, Soundproofing,Tinted windows, Interior 6D carbon wrap, Painted calipers, 18" Wsp wheels Peeler style, FL gearknob, Efficiency prog via cluster & gateway flash...

0 0 0

9. Re: a4qa 2.0tdi 177 - dash warning "steering fault - do not drive" + no power assistance 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    yes I found BB-REMAN page offering repair/exchange. hope it wasnt some google driven advertising nonsense. 450 + VAT oof... lifetime waranty at least.

seen the youtube on how to change the rack over... rattle gun, 12point socket and surprisingly straightforward it seems.

I haven't done any scans other than torque pro... it doesnt pick anything up for me.

still getting used to this forum... dont understand why the "new reply" on the left is so small - like too small to click, and the one on the right quotes the entire previous message... presumably this will be the cause of many bloated forum threads with most messages quoting the entire previous message...

0 0 0

10. Re: a4qa 2.0tdi 177 - dash warning "steering fault - do not drive" + no power assistance 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    64 Post(s)
    I have reply and quote button both on left side(one on right, but i never use this)...so i use only those on right side, depending need for quote something or not...

hit translate button on your browser after opening the link, one sad story...mainly electric part(module) fail and steering system recording low voltage and red symbol on cluster...so before purchase anything read errors with vcds and clear them, luck may follow as some people do not get error anymore, but people have replaced racks, updated sw etc, never ending story with audis:
    *** рулю ч.3 — Аберштольц снова в деле! *ешение проблемы "красный руль" — бортжурнал Audi A4 Аберштольц 2012 года на DRIVE2
    A48K5 2008 Retrofits: FL Taillights, Bixenon, Color Cluster & FL S5 Cluster, ADS with button, MMI 3G & 3G+(With Street view) Other Stuff: Ecu tune, Front bumper valance "Rieger look", Sideskirts, VCDS mod, Interior leds, Basic sound to Audi SS + B/O sub/tweeters+activsub, Soundproofing,Tinted windows, Interior 6D carbon wrap, Painted calipers, 18" Wsp wheels Peeler style, FL gearknob, Efficiency prog via cluster & gateway flash...

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast